Can you please post instead of PMing me? - Page 3 - RC Groups
Oct 07, 2013, 06:36 PM
Team Basement-RC
We need someone to come up with a Ping-Pong ball configuration to go around handmade antennas, so you get quality AND protection.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 07, 2013, 07:42 PM
I'm just a 2.5D Pilot
I'll pull the trigger on this stuff tomorrow!

$99.00 D58-2 5.8 Ghz Diversity Receiver: http://www.foxtechfpv.com/d582-58g-d...ver-p-592.html

$29.99 (x2) 5.8 GHz 3 Turn Helical 7dBic http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...oducts_id=1089

$34.95 5.8 GHz Airscrew Cloverleaf Ultra Antenna (RHCP) http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...oducts_id=1254

$39.99 200mw VTX http://www.foxtechfpv.com/foxtech-58...ter-p-179.html

$95.99 8 inch monitor http://www.foxtechfpv.com/foxtech-m8...tor-p-644.html

$8.49 GoProHD Camera Cable (Video Only) http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=257

$4.99 (x3) RPSMA Female to SMA Female Adapter http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=432

It looks like the helical antennas at RMRC are out of stock. Do I just order them and wait or wait for them to come in then order them? I'm pretty excited!

Ricky
Oct 09, 2013, 09:38 AM
Engineer for Christ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracks
We need someone to come up with a Ping-Pong ball configuration to go around handmade antennas, so you get quality AND protection.
Already found something: Shipping tubes. I found 1-1/4" shipping tube caps and plugs The question is how it will affect the signal. When they come in, I can test them

-Alex
Oct 10, 2013, 08:49 PM
Success fanatic
I am having trouble with my TV monitor going black 2or3 seconds when I am flying.
I am using a 4 lobe Blue Beam TX antenna with a vertical dipole antenna on the rev side. I am flying only very local with this set up.

I also have a Cross Hair REV antenna with a diversity set up with the Dipole. However, I am expecting to get a great steady picture with just the dipole when within a half mile or less. Am I expecting too much ????
Oct 12, 2013, 04:26 PM
Engineer for Christ
First of all you should not mix circular and linear polarization. Use CP on both ends or LP on both ends.

Second, if your screen is going black, use a different screen. Most screens are too sensitive for analog video transmission and resort to going blank screen.

-Alex
Oct 13, 2013, 05:09 PM
Registered DSer
IBC - Question re selection of antennas:

I FPV at 1040MHz - the uppermost freq of the 900 band - I fly with others, and our aggreed frequency separation allows us to fly formation together.

Am I better off buying circular antennas for 900 or for 1.3? Which will give better performance at 1040MHz?

How much better can I expect if I chose to make my own, tuned specifically for 1040?

Thanks

Kahnx.
Oct 13, 2013, 08:19 PM
Success fanatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy
First of all you should not mix circular and linear polarization. Use CP on both ends or LP on both ends.

Second, if your screen is going black, use a different screen. Most screens are too sensitive for analog video transmission and resort to going blank screen.

-Alex
I have blue beam antennas on both ends today....screen still went black for 2or3 seconds. I did not have this problem until I started using Dragonlink with my Futaba controller at 433 and I am running it through Eagle Tree's OSD and V4 E- Logger.

This evening I checked the Diversity setting which was set at 5. I reset it at 10 to increase the sensistivity. I am hoping that solves the problem. I know it is not the screen , because it worked fine before I started using this equipment. I must have changed some setting with the Eagle Tree equipment , but I haven't the slightest idea what.
I am hoping someone out there has made the same mistake and can enlighten me.
Oct 14, 2013, 08:57 PM
I'm just a 2.5D Pilot
I got my antennas from Ready Made RC today! My other stuff just went through customs in the US! I can't wait!

Oh, and I didn't get my right angle adapter on my Airscrew Cloverleaf Ultra Antenna, so I emailed their support this afternoon and already received a reply, from a real person! Now that's support!

Ricky
Oct 14, 2013, 09:18 PM
Looks great Rick!
Can't wait to see it work!
Randy
Oct 14, 2013, 09:29 PM
Success fanatic
I have this day put all my Dragonlink equipment in the Trash. I am sick of all the video drops. I flew FPV long before Dragonlink and My monitor did just fine. I am back to Futaba until I can get an EZUHF system. I love my Blue Beam Antennas on both ends with a cross hair backup for long distance...when I find a system that works consistently.

WELL...... I took Dragon link out of the trash.... I flew just with Futaba tonight and had the same problem without dragon link. I have been told that my Blue Beam tx antenna out on the wing tip is NOT anchored down properly. It is vibrating in the wind and causing my picture to do crazy things and even go black at times. DO i admit I was wrong again.
Last edited by asael; Oct 15, 2013 at 06:46 PM. Reason: correcting experience
Oct 14, 2013, 10:31 PM
Engineer for Christ
Quote:
Originally Posted by asael
I have this day put all my Dragonlink equipment in the Trash. I am sick of all the video drops. I flew FPV long before Dragonlink and My monitor did just fine. I am back to Futaba until I can get an EZUHF system. I love my Blue Beam Antennas on both ends with a cross hair backup for long distance...when I find a system that works consistently.
Open LRS. That's what I use. DTF UHF is a good one too

-Alex
Oct 14, 2013, 10:32 PM
Engineer for Christ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahnx
IBC - Question re selection of antennas:

I FPV at 1040MHz - the uppermost freq of the 900 band - I fly with others, and our aggreed frequency separation allows us to fly formation together.

Am I better off buying circular antennas for 900 or for 1.3? Which will give better performance at 1040MHz?

How much better can I expect if I chose to make my own, tuned specifically for 1040?

Thanks

Kahnx.
Neither. neither will work. You need to get them custom made. Marc Ashton (Mashton on here and FPVLAB) makes custom built and tuned unit to spec. his work is excellent.

-Alex
Oct 15, 2013, 01:45 AM
ParagonUAV
I read somewhere recently (couple posts back) that you were looking at options to cover 5.8GHz omni antennas (ping pong balls?) similar to the Spironets. Just wondering if you've made any progress / would recommend objects / materials for protecting these antennas. (I have an Ultra set on the way, hence my curiosity.)
Oct 15, 2013, 11:08 PM
Engineer for Christ
I have made some progress. I found shipping tube covers work really well. They need to be modified slightly, but they work well and I found very little signal degradation.

On the other hand, I have a 5.8GHz Mad Mushroom in my car as an experiment to see how long it will last. I put it in the car in early August and I act like it isn't there. So far I have stepped on it at least 3 times, crushed it twice with a soda bottle, my girlfriend's dog got a hold of it once, and I crushed it under my rock climbing gear once. Yet this antenna still works fine despite being bent back 6 times.

-Alex
Oct 16, 2013, 08:44 PM
I'm just a 2.5D Pilot
UGH.... So I get all my stuff today! YAY! But... I think I still have a LOT TO LEARN!

1st, I spent about 10 minutes soldering the mini deans/deans for my batteries and setting everything all up! Piece of cake, but after 4 hours the only thing I can verify is that my 8 inch monitor is really really bright!

I kept wondering that there had to be an led light or something on my 200mw TX. I soldered everything correctly, I plugged in my battery and plugged in my go pro, but I couldn't see any video on my screen.

So I got out my multi-meter and the battery was charged, but there was no volts coming out of the end that plugs into the VideoTX. All my stuff has mini deans except for a couple really really old batteries that have the jst plugs. So I charged one of those batteries up and plugged it directly into my VTX and lookie there it had an led. I also saw a couple lights blink on my little diversity RX. I could cover up an antenna and the other antenna light would light up, so I guess it's working?
I can't believe that there would be a short in it. I narrowed it down to somewhere in the red wire. The black wire would "complete the circuit" when I would test it with my meter, but the red wire never did, and I kept shortening it and shortening it.

I still never saw any video. Which brings me to another question. I have a GoPro Hero 1, so I got the little video out cable, I plugged it in, but can't verify if it even works with video out. The LCD screen says EEl, except the first E is missing the top bar. Pressing buttons doesn't seem to do anything. My dream was to record video on the go pro AND use the video out for the fpv. I guess I need to do some more research...

Ugh...

Ricky

edit, I found out that the EEL is actual TEL which means television mode. I still can't tell if it works, but at least it is something right?
Last edited by rickgode; Oct 16, 2013 at 09:01 PM.