Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
May 24, 2017, 03:17 PM
If I'm building a super ground station, is there any reason not to use sma extensions on receivers? I'm going to use a briefcase so when the lid is open the Omni screws to a sma poking out the top and the directional velcros to the back of the lid. If I use high quality extensions are there any drawbacks?
to remove ads between posts
May 24, 2017, 05:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by elib100
Alex,

I just received what was supposed to be a BNIB 1.3ghz crosshair that I bought on the classifieds here. When I opened the box which wasn't well packed the smaller box with the VAS logo was broken off and a few of the copper wires are bent. If I bend the wires back do you think the antenna will perform as new or be degraded? As you can see in the picture they are all bent to some degree.

The seller wants to refund $10 but I'm skeptical and think I'd be better off returning it and getting a new one?

Thanks!
Is that how it was packed?!? Totally return it. Just my opinion.
May 25, 2017, 10:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lylefk
Is that how it was packed?!? Totally return it. Just my opinion.
Yes terrible packing. I just wanted to hear from Alex if it's trash or not.
May 25, 2017, 01:10 PM
Multirotors are models too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy
I still run 2.3Ghz... almost exclusively. The reason is that nobody has it and it performs much better than 5.8GHz. The only problem I have is that the Taranis radio spews interference in my video if I am too close to someone using it. I can stand in a crowd of Futabas and Spektrums without any trouble at all.

FrSky just spews interferecne and there's mnot much you can do but stand farther away from them. The truth is that the radio is highly illegal, but the FCC hasn't bothered with them mainly because of how difficult it is to go after a manufacturer in another country....

-Alex
Alex,

Anyway to clean up the Taranis and have it be more FPV neighbor friendly?
May 27, 2017, 02:46 PM
Build more, websurf less
Alex,

During a flight recently I heard a "bang" and saw something drop from the quadcopter. After that I had no RC control but fortunately the failsafe and return to launch features brought it home safely.

Turned out it was the RC receiver that flew off! As it was jettisoned it went through a prop off course.

The antenna is one your coil-loaded dipoles for 433MHz. The antenna cable was bent and I was able to straighten it, however; the epoxy around the juncture where the coax goes into the antenna elements is cracked but not separated.

How can I check the antenna to determine if it is still good?

Thanks and be well,

Paul
May 27, 2017, 04:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingW
Alex,

During a flight recently I heard a "bang" and saw something drop from the quadcopter. After that I had no RC control but fortunately the failsafe and return to launch features brought it home safely.

Turned out it was the RC receiver that flew off! As it was jettisoned it went through a prop off course.

The antenna is one your coil-loaded dipoles for 433MHz. The antenna cable was bent and I was able to straighten it, however; the epoxy around the juncture where the coax goes into the antenna elements is cracked but not separated.

Thanks and be well,

Paul
I have this question as well. My epoxy is cracked on both my antennas. However I was having problems with my RC link....so I swapped out the one coil loaded dipole for another and now my problems seem to have gone away. I am kinda tempting to try fixing my other one
Jun 15, 2017, 09:32 AM
Hi
would it be viable to do a variable geometry antenna for long range? Say a yagi that loses elements, a helical that loses turns, or a parabolic that focuses the beam kinda like my flashlight does?
Jun 18, 2017, 10:38 PM
Engineer for Christ
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingW
Alex,

Thanks and be well,

Paul
Heat up the black epoxy (it is thermally active) and stick it back together. I can guarantee it is still good. I have done this a few times myself

-Alex
Jun 18, 2017, 10:40 PM
Engineer for Christ
Quote:
Originally Posted by parajared
Hi
would it be viable to do a variable geometry antenna for long range? Say a yagi that loses elements, a helical that loses turns, or a parabolic that focuses the beam kinda like my flashlight does?
I'm not sure if it would or not. Typically when going for range you fly in a more or less straight line. When you are in close, you usually have more than enough signal to fly around yourself for landing. Thus, I think a cone shaped beam (what we are used to) would be best as it would allow us to wander farther off center with good signal.

-Alex
Jun 18, 2017, 10:44 PM
Engineer for Christ
Quote:
Originally Posted by elib100
Alex,

I just received what was supposed to be a BNIB 1.3ghz crosshair that I bought on the classifieds here. When I opened the box which wasn't well packed the smaller box with the VAS logo was broken off and a few of the copper wires are bent. If I bend the wires back do you think the antenna will perform as new or be degraded? As you can see in the picture they are all bent to some degree.

The seller wants to refund $10 but I'm skeptical and think I'd be better off returning it and getting a new one?

Thanks!
Honestly, I think you can straighten out the elements and glue the cover back on and it will be fine. I can send you the glue to re-adhere the cover. If you want to be absolutely certain it is ok you can do a simple continuity test from the elements to the SMA. Two elements will be connected to the pin and two will be connected to the SMA nut.

-Alex
Jun 18, 2017, 10:46 PM
Engineer for Christ
Quote:
Originally Posted by lylefk
Well, ok that would be awesome if it works to even half that range! They state 3000' supported, but with your antenna it looks well beyond that.

There aren't any interference issues with them being so close together? For the Connex HD it says not to use either the air or ground units within 5' of one another or something. Think I could mount both ground units on the same tripod without issue?

I assume you'd suggest the linear version? Any upgrades to the air unit needed?

Does the Genesis work for the Connex HD or just the Prosight HD?

Thanks so much!

Lyle
The Genesis works with both Connex systems. It is just a 5 antenna panel array for the 5GHz-6GHz band.

-Alex
Yesterday, 07:52 AM
LoS sUAS AP/V is not a crime
Mr. Crazy,
I started following you advice about a year ago, First I got rid of all my cheep CP antennas. Then gave away anything that started with TS or RS.
I now have strong signal and great picture.
Thank You.
Now I see you have a new antenna, ION, that has a dbic that has cough my eye.
Is this antenna compatible with the RACE SPEC or DURASPEC?
Tho I assume they are better in pairs.

Again Thank You for all you do.

Wayne
Today, 08:05 PM
Build more, websurf less
Alex,

Good as new. Thanks,

Paul