This thread is privately moderated by aviatortom, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 03, 2013, 02:20 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

My new Bixler V1.1

There are many open fields where I live, and the closest ones are only suitable for belly landers, so I ordered me up one of those Bixlers from Hobby King. Thinking I bought the Bixler 2, imagine my surprise when I opened the box to find a Bixler V1.1 inside. After rechecking my order online, sure enough, that's just what I purchased. At first I was bummed and tempted to send it back; however, after reading a few threads on the model, I think the Bixler V1.1 is the perfect plane for my needs. I will be building it over the next few days or so and will try to post some pix.

EDIT: I posted some pix - decided to attach them to this post to to go with the text. Enjoy :-)
Last edited by aviatortom; Oct 06, 2013 at 10:54 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 05, 2013, 05:27 PM
Thread OP
I've been working on my Bixler on and off since I got it (I'm taking a break now to let some epoxy dry). It's a pretty straight forward kit. I have to agree with everyone in all the forums, the instruction manual is incomplete to say it politely; It does not even tell you how to assemble the fuselage, so you are on your own; however, you'll find a lot of techniques here on RC groups and elsewhere online. Josh and Josh at flight test have a pretty good series on the Bixler (being its namesake), but I don't even think they assemble the fuselage. I used UHU POR to glue the halves together. It worked well, but If you use UHU, make sure you make a test fit first and make a couple of reference marks for alignment because once you commit to mating with UHU you're stuck - pardon the pun.

It seems no Bixler is complete without some builder mods, so here are the ones I've made so far:

1) added carbon fiber spar to horizontal stab.
2) added carbon fiber belly spine to aft fuselage
3) added magnetic keeps to motor cowl
4) added 4-40 blind nuts to motor mount stick and used to two 4-40 screw to secure it to pylon (rather than gluing the stick in place in case I want to change motors (wait! I have already ordered a different motor).
5) added fiber reinforced packing tape to belly for skid protection.
6) prior to fuselage halve mating, added plastic tube for the long antenna of my Spextrum AR600 receiver.

I have seen some pretty incredible things done with this plane in all the forum posts. Mine is a pretty simple build in comparison. I have to admit after perusing some of the impressive FPV builds and videos, I have the bug to try my hand at FPV someday. I am at least going to use it to try my first inflight video with my Flip cam as soon as I get a few flights in ;-)

I have pictures to upload and will do so ASAP. Back to assembly... after I do a little research on Bixler control rates and travel adjustments ;-)
Oct 05, 2013, 10:24 PM
Thread OP
Best info I found on Bixler control throw info so I am going with it. Here's the link:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ostcount=17682

Seems like I should know G550ted after all, I fly a G550 too ;-)
Oct 06, 2013, 10:24 PM
Thread OP

My Bixler V1.1 Motor Tests

Here are the results along with a few pix from my Bixler V1.1 motor tests using the stock motor and an APC 6x4E prop.

1) Unloaded (no prop) KV test with charged 2100 mAh 3S lipo:
1983KV
24,240 RPM
2)Loaded Wattmeter test with charged 2100 mAh 3S (35C) lipo:
Steady state 173W @ 16.65A
Peaks: 180.6Wp @ 17.06Ap
Hope this info is helpful!
Last edited by aviatortom; Nov 03, 2013 at 06:37 PM.
Oct 08, 2013, 08:08 AM
Looking good - hope your maiden/trimming flights go well!

I got similar power measurements but haven't rechecked with the 6x5.5e APC I'm flying with at the moment... I doubt it would reach even 25A so no concerns about harming the ESC.

Zak
Oct 08, 2013, 10:00 PM
Thread OP
Ready to fly! All done and ready for a maiden. Bummer though I have to leave on a trip tomorrow and don't think I'll get it done prior unless I can sneak out in the morning ;-).

I finished all my mods and then a couple more such as taping the leading edges of the wings, adding some visibility decor to the belly, and replacing the Hobby King pilot with Angry Bird, "Splitter," AKA Blue Jay, Blue Jake, and Blue Jim (Splitter splits into three birds in the game).

I changed out most of the small rectangular magnets that came with the kit for some stronger magnets that I canned from some ID badges from a seminar I attended recently ;-)

I have discovered that small screws or nails make great targets for magnets. The body of the fastener embeds in the material and adds a little extra mass for the magnet to hold on to, and it anchors the target well especially with the help of a little epoxy.

The COG came out perfect - right on the spar - with a Turnigy 2200 mAh 3S. Probably way more battery than I need or have the attention span for but we'll give it a try.

Here are some pix. Cheers to all!
Oct 08, 2013, 10:02 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaksterBlue
Looking good - hope your maiden/trimming flights go well!

I got similar power measurements but haven't rechecked with the 6x5.5e APC I'm flying with at the moment... I doubt it would reach even 25A so no concerns about harming the ESC.

Zak
Thanks, Zak. I really enjoyed your Bixler thread. I appreciate your looking here and all your good info. Best, Tom
Oct 09, 2013, 01:06 PM
Thread OP
Successful Maiden! I could not resist so I took 30 minutes to run down to the soy bean field near my house. I checked all systems and made a few simple tweaks to my ailerons. My elevator was about 1/2 trailing width up with everything neutral - I figured a little up couldn't hurt so I left as is. The wind was out of the NE about 7 mph. I set about 60% power and gave it a gentle hand launch. I wish I had it on video. -- it was perfect -- it just flew right out of my hand just as pretty and straight as one could hope for. I flew her for 10 minutes (by timer) and landed ever so gently atop the soy beans. It only required 2 clicks of down trim to settle it out. I was very pleased with the flight - she's -a real gentle flyer and I can see why the Bixler makes a great FPV platform. That's all the time I had because I had to get going for my trip. I checked my battery when I got home and had 46% remaining after 10 minutes.
Last edited by aviatortom; Oct 09, 2013 at 05:09 PM.
Oct 12, 2013, 01:00 AM
Nice one, Tom!

I get about 20 minutes of cruising at or under half throttle from my 2650 mah, but since this plane loiters well and can climb in thermals I've had flights over 40 mins with battery to spare. Unfortunately I only use a 500mah separate FPV battery and this runs out after 45 mins, limiting my FPV time regardless of how well the plane is loitering. Must do something about that!
Oct 14, 2013, 09:52 PM
Thread OP
Wow, Zak, that's great. Sounds like you could go with a bigger FPV batt for sure ;-)
Oct 14, 2013, 10:09 PM
Thread OP
Poor man FPV - Bixler Flip Cam mount.
Although I bought the FPV kit from Hobby King, it did not appear to me that it would make a good mount for my Flip Cam. I thought this cam would be a perfect device to do my first inflight videos. I used the HK FPV kit parts as a pattern to scratch build a mount for my Flip Cam. It worked really well and my son and I actually made our first inflight video with it. Now I just have to learn how to edit it in iMovie, add a little music and post it. Stay tuned ;-)
Oct 17, 2013, 11:48 AM
Thread OP
Here's the video (my first) from the maiden Flip-Cam flight of my stock Bixler V1.1 with the assistance of my son and fellow R/C pilot, Zach. Polite critiques are welcome ;-)

Bixler Maiden Flip Cam Flight (4 min 0 sec)
Oct 22, 2013, 11:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviatortom
Here's the video (my first) from the maiden Flip-Cam flight of my stock Bixler V1.1 with the assistance of my son and fellow R/C pilot, Zach. Polite critiques are welcome ;-)

http://youtu.be/hDWAb3AcFe8
Looks like a great place to fly and get some video. Mounting that cam was a good effort!

You didn't spend much time straight and level but it appears the plane is bobbing up and down gently which means your CG is not quite right yet. I balance mine at the rear of the spar (I put my fingers just behind the servo leads) and this produces a nice flat glide. If you go any further back, it will loiter ok but be prone to tip-stalling if it slows too much.

Zak
Oct 24, 2013, 08:03 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaksterBlue
Looks like a great place to fly and get some video. Mounting that cam was a good effort!

You didn't spend much time straight and level but it appears the plane is bobbing up and down gently which means your CG is not quite right yet. I balance mine at the rear of the spar (I put my fingers just behind the servo leads) and this produces a nice flat glide. If you go any further back, it will loiter ok but be prone to tip-stalling if it slows too much.

Zak
Thanks, Zak. I will check out the CG positioned as you specify and see if I can get a bit better film or two. I discovered that my prop really was on backwards after that flight -- kind of dumbfounded about that because I swore I installed it correctly. Nonetheless, I flew it yesterday morning and the improved performance was remarkable. I need to peruse a few threads on best flying techniques for filming, because I realized from my film that burning typical patterns around the field can be sort of boring ;-) I think my flying spot would be a great place to get some cool FPV footage too -- hopefully someday soon ;-)
Oct 25, 2013, 06:47 AM
I have an AXN video from Summerhayes Park on my youtube channel (same name as here) - this was done without FPV, just floating about on a calm evening. It might give you some ideas... main thing is to do nice straight passes and gentle, flat turns.

Quick Reply