• Spektrum™ Waterproof SRS4200 Receiver with 2.4GHz
  • Spektrum™ DX2E Transmitter with DSMR
  • Aluminum, Adjustable Oil-filled shocks
  • Resilient Front and Rear Bumpers
  • Pre-decorated, eye-catching body With wing
  • Rally Inspired On/off-road tires
  • Waterproof electronics package
  • AVC™ (Active Vehicle Control™) Equipped

Losi® TEN Rally-X 4WD Ready-to-Run (1 min 24 sec)
Last edited by valiantGLX; Oct 07, 2013 at 05:06 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 03, 2013, 02:19 PM
Technomancer
Thread OP
Oct 03, 2013, 02:24 PM
Technomancer
Thread OP
This car looks pretty awesome, and I'm not even a fan of Rallies. I really like the look of the front end and extra wide wheel fenders. I was getting pretty excited about it until I saw the price point

However what intrigues me the most about it is SPEKTRUM's new SRS4200 receiver with "Active Vehicle Control". This looks pretty promising, and I may just be fitting it to some different cars in the near future. Knowing SPEKTRUM it will probably be pretty pricy as a standalone unit, I just hope that it will be sold for under $100.
Oct 03, 2013, 02:37 PM
Technomancer
Thread OP
Here are a few important notes on the AVS system

Can you participate in sanctioned races with AVC technology?

No, most racing classes won’t allow any stabilization assistance of any kind. However, a blinky mode has been incorporated in the AVC receiver, this completely turns off AVC technology, visually showing race officials that the system has been disabled. Establishing blinky mode is as easy as inserting a bind plug in a dedicated port and binding your transmitter.

What transmitters does AVC work with?

AVC will work with all Spektrum® surface transmitters, but the experience may change depending on the amount of channels your transmitter operates with. Two-channel transmitters (excluding the DX2E included with the Vaterra Hälix and Losi Ten Rally-X vehicles) will not allow for full adjustments to be made, so AVC technology will only be 50 percent active when used in this arrangement. With three-channel transmitters, both Heading Hold and Throttle Management are adjusted simultaneously. When paired with a four-channel transmitter you can adjust Throttle Management and Heading Hold independently.

Can an AVC receiver be removed and used in another vehicle?

Yes, but it is not recommended. The SRS 4200 AVC system was specifically designed and optimized for the Vaterra Hälix and Losi Rally-X.

It looks like I will be getting a DX4s soon then Also I strongly believe the system should be compatible with other vehicles though, especially if you have a SPEKTRUM 3ch or 4ch transmitter (to adjust the Heading Hold and Throttle Management to suit your vehicle), and even more so if you are installing it into another AWD 1/10. I think Horizon Hobby just wants us to buy these cars to experience the AVS system.
Oct 03, 2013, 03:58 PM
They did the same with the UMX AS3X systems, stating that each board is calibrated for the specific model and not to use an Sbach board in a Beast, etc. Not sure how different the calibrations are for each though, could just be marketing speak.
Oct 04, 2013, 03:52 AM
Technomancer
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons
They did the same with the UMX AS3X systems, stating that each board is calibrated for the specific model and not to use an Sbach board in a Beast, etc. Not sure how different the calibrations are for each though, could just be marketing speak.
The difference between AVC and AS3X is that you don't need a programming card to change the AVS's system sensitivity; you can do it with the RTR control that comes with the new AVC equipped vehicles or a DX3* transmitter. If you have a DX4* you can independently adjust the the Heading Hold and Throttle Management.

So the above being said you could change the sensitivity to suit any vehicle. In addition I saw in one of the product videos that there is a new calibration sequence (similar to an ESC) where it measures the throttle and steering points.

Now what worries me with the AVC is what happens to the aux1 and aux2 channels? Do they now get used to control the AVC rendering them useless for anything else to be connected?
Last edited by valiantGLX; Oct 04, 2013 at 04:14 AM.
Oct 04, 2013, 04:11 AM
Technomancer
Thread OP
Here's a close up of the new SRS4200 that I nabed from their youtube vid:

So the 'Disable' port is pretty clear, stick a bind plug in it to disable the system so you can still race competitively with it.

However the 'DATA' port is more interesting, maybe there will be programing card released in the future for this, perhaps to adjust the AVC sensitivity if you only have a DX2* and you want more or less sensitivity than 50%. Hopefully there will also be an option just to have it constantly on and not adjustable on the fly, freeing up the other 2 channels for whatever you want to use them for.
Oct 04, 2013, 04:30 AM
Technomancer
Thread OP
Another point of concern I just thought of: It seems like it is constantly in Heading Hold mode, which in theory would make it really hard to drift. A normal gyro assists with drifting, but I am pretty sure that a constant Heading Hold mode with cancel it out.

Heading hold + Throttle Management = no drift

I think I will wait for this unit to be released and thoroughly independently tested before getting too excited.

At this point I am thinking that a cheap Chinese gyro with an optional heading hold mode on the 3rd channel will be a better all round option (allowing for some drift action and perfect straight line driving - but no Throttle Management). But, we'll have to wait and see
Oct 04, 2013, 05:15 AM
Fan of just about anything RC
Call me old fashioned, but isn't throttle management one of the key ingredients when it comes to driving?
Latest blog entry: For the love of the hobby!
Oct 07, 2013, 04:59 AM
Technomancer
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan
Call me old fashioned, but isn't throttle management one of the key ingredients when it comes to driving?
Yeah I tend to agree, I can understand the steering gyro though (but if its constantly in heading hold mode I think they have gone too far). I have a steering gyro on my Micro LOSI SCT and it makes to world of difference (it doesn't drive its self, it just takes the squirrelyness out of it). Also I like to get sideways into powerslides and kick up big rooster tails while doing so: I think the throttle management will kill that joy
Last edited by valiantGLX; Oct 07, 2013 at 05:04 AM.
Oct 07, 2013, 06:15 AM
Fan of just about anything RC
A gyro to stabilize the straight runs, even though it should not be needed on a slopfree 1/10 scale car, I tend to understand. But I have my reservations about interfering with throttle. I may look cleaner, but it sounds a lot like "drive by wire".
Latest blog entry: For the love of the hobby!
Nov 15, 2013, 01:19 PM
To answer a couple of questions:
1. The SRS4200 receiver 'is' programmed specifically for the Halix and the RALLY X. Not recommended for use in other vehicles. It's not a marketing tactic.

2. I'm not sure what
Quote:
Hopefully there will also be an option just to have it constantly on and not adjustable on the fly, freeing up the other 2 channels for whatever you want to use them for.
is referring to. AVC is either off or on. To turn it off, you would insert a second bind plug in the "Disable" port. Otherwise, AVC is on and the sensitivity is adjusted using the Steering D/R dial on the DX2E.
3. Aux 1 and Aux 2 are just that. They don't affect the AVC at all. AVC is only active on the Throttle and Steering channels.
4. The DX2E transmitter (excluding the DX2E included with the Halix and RALLY X) being limited to 50% is in the transmitter, not the receiver.
Last edited by ram008; Nov 15, 2013 at 01:21 PM. Reason: clarification
Nov 15, 2013, 02:28 PM
OK for another topic of discussion. Why, oh why did they go to a proprietary wheel and tire size just to get a certain look?? There are no aftermarket tires in this size at all. Though at least its a 12mm hex so you can put on regular wheels.
Dec 04, 2013, 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by valiantGLX
I really like the look of the front end and extra wide wheel fenders.
Really? Personally, I'm not a fan of the body. (I can't stand the flexing in the vids, it looks cheap, IMO). It doesn't look like any rally car I have ever seen.

What's the point of an RC rally car that is not in the least bit scale? If your just into bashing, buy a buggy, they perform better.

That being said, this car has a steep hill to climb in challenging the HPI WR8.

Looking forward to some owner reviews.

So far, at that price, I vote WR8 (or the KBE). The body weighs in heavily on my vote. I know the WR8 is 1/8, but it is actually smaller than the TEN. The WR8 is actually 1/8 of the real car, and a Fiesta is tiny.

TEN: 21.26" x 11.65"
WR8: 19.09" x 8.04"

Same PP and size, regardless of the listed scale of either, these two cars are direct competitors.

Hopefully someone will post a head to head shootout.

WR8:

http://www.hpiracing.com/en/kit/107113

WR8 reviews:

HPI WR8 Flux electric RTR review - Ken Block H.F.H.V. edition (11 min 51 sec)

HPI WR8 Flux multi-terrain challenge! 6 tests, 1 setup, 1 battery! (5 min 4 sec)

HPI WR8 Flux Rally -Ken Block Edition- REVIEW: Vid 3- After Run Review (11 min 4 sec)

As for the AVC, as Valiant posted, the gyro definitely has value, but the throttle management is iffy at best (iffy as in: do you need it?).

What if you want to use the gyro, but not the throttle management? You need a 4 channel Tx. That's a pricey option, just to turn off TM.

With a 3 channel Tx you can only adjust the AVC gyro and TM simultaneously.

Additionally a DX3R (or better Tx) already has traction control anyways. Perhaps an integrated AVC system is superior, but why not have a external adjustment switches, like the Telebee gyro.

A Telebee gyro is only $20 at HK, preforms well and has a drift cancellation circuit (no TM, of course).

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...aneuvers_.html
Last edited by hotshot888; Dec 04, 2013 at 02:40 PM.
Jan 01, 2014, 08:47 PM
www.gunnphotoservices.com
Here's some pics of my Rally-X in the snow. I've had way too many rc vehicles over the years, and this was my 1st with AVC. I can honestly say that its just as much fun, if not more fun, to drive with AVC enabled. It doesn't kill the buzz by any means. To see this car hook up in snow, and perform flawless power slides as big or small as you want, is a real joy. The throttle limiting is minimal and certainly does not take away from the driving experience. When turned down to minimum, you can't even tell its limiting anything, but still keeps the rear end from swapping out on pavement and hard pack. Cranked up, the AVC can keep the car from pirouetting on ice (yes, ICE)... And it hauls the mail in the process.

I'll admit, I was on the fence as well. I didn't want anything messing with my ability to grab an index-finger full of throttle, or trying to retard steering or throttle at all. But after piloting this little rocket and testing different settings of the AVC, Im sold.

And p.s., if you just have to drive au naturel, you can disable the AVC completely...
Latest blog entry: www.gunnphotoservices.com

Quick Reply