Plane Hauler- the official Build and Pull Thread! - RC Groups
Feb 18, 2004, 09:02 AM
Extra 330L

Plane Hauler- the official Build and Pull Thread!

With so many build and fly threads, I thought it would be neat to start this thread to go over the trailer project I have started.

I have wanted to purchase a trailer for over a year now, and have been through many different scenarios and ideas about what kind of trailer to purchase.

I looked at 5th wheel trailers up to 40', and small trailers about 14' long as well. In the end, the decision process started and ended with a 24' trailer.

The scope of what I wanted out of this hauler changed too, which is the reason for the dramatically different sizes that I looked at.
The 40' fifth wheel was huge, and had sleeping quarters, bathroom, kitchen, etc. Perfect for big fly-ins. but not so perfect for everyday trips to the field.

I do not have a adequate shop, so I want the trailer to have a work area inside with all the necessary storage for tools and supplies. This way, when I go to the field, I have everything I need. Having said this, the trailer would need some kind of climate control at some point.

Last but not least, I want to have all of the planes assembled inside the trailer when they are stored. this way, upon arrival at the field, I will be able to pull them out and fly in no time..
to remove ads between posts
Feb 18, 2004, 09:03 AM
Extra 330L
48" side door.
Feb 18, 2004, 09:04 AM
Extra 330L
I bought this F350 last year to pull the trailer. at the time, I was leaning towards a 5th wheel, which was the reason for the dually
Last edited by Rob Honeycutt; Feb 18, 2004 at 09:08 AM.
Feb 18, 2004, 09:08 AM
Extra 330L
This is the back door looking forward.. plenty of room, the door pulls down easy and has a beavertail ramp which allows for carts, etc to be pulled out easy.
Feb 18, 2004, 09:10 AM
Extra 330L
here is the door down.
Feb 18, 2004, 09:10 AM
Extra 330L
this is looking back after going inside the side door. Most of this will be storage for planes on the walls.
Feb 18, 2004, 09:13 AM
Extra 330L
Side door looking forward. this will be a cabinet that turns into a work bench. details to come..
Feb 18, 2004, 09:18 AM
Extra 330L
the dimensions are 8-1/2 x 24- close to 7'-0" headroom inside.

I plan to insulate the top, put a kind of formica laminate on the sides, with mounting brackets for the planes on the walls towards the back. The ceiling will have a covering with track mounted lighting.
Feb 18, 2004, 09:31 AM
Extra 330L
Planes to mount inside:

Biggest- 35% extra.. 9' wingspan so it won't mount on the wall. instead, it will turn sideways and I am making a cart for it to rest in, so it will roll straight out the back upon arrival at the field.

two 90 size mid-wing planes

one 60 style mid-wing

one 120 size pattern plane (yet to be aquired)

6 - 25-40 size planes of misc. styles
Feb 18, 2004, 10:17 AM
That is ONE SERIOUS trailer!! I would not have a place to park it. My neighborhood association would throw me out. AWESOME

Michael
Feb 18, 2004, 10:36 AM
Forgot how to fly
Jez Rob. Plane Hauler is an understatment. My first apartment was smaller than that thing lol.

Mike
Feb 18, 2004, 10:41 AM
Sloping off....
I can rename the thread "Transportable Indoor Flying Venue" if you like Rob

Nice job.

Brian
Feb 18, 2004, 10:44 AM
Extra 330L
What kind of surprises me is that there are not many haulers this size out there. I did lots of searches on rcu and found nothing on anything larger than say 7x14 or so.

This trailer was only about 15 percent more $ than a 7 x 16 and is lots bigger.. I really like the headroom aspect of it, and I'm sure my junk will fill it up. Can't wait to post pics of the construction!

Rob
Feb 18, 2004, 10:50 AM
Hmm, kerosene... :)
hehe, cant wait to see pics of the construction!!!

Hans
Feb 18, 2004, 11:28 AM
Looking forward to construction pics. I have an 8x5 (yea it's small compared to this one )that I want to re-do the storage on. I had a system that worked OK last year, but the size of the aircraft in my fleet is expanding and I'm looking for config ideas for the trailer.

I used to haul my planes around in an old beater van, and started using the trailer last year when the van died. The trailer is a lot more convenient. I kinda wish I got the 6x10, but I'm at the max towing capacity of my car with the 8x5; although when towing the trailer it has better acceleration and breaking then the wife's minivan with no load.