Oct 02, 2013, 11:05 AM
Rocket Programmer
Thread OP
Discussion

Video How-to: Tape Weave Hinges

I don't know where I learned this technique, but it got a good response on the Slow Stick thread, so I thought everyone might like to see it. This method of hinging surfaces is very free moving, with no break in time, it's very easy to cut, and is superior to the 'bevel' tape hinge in a lot of ways - it has no gap and rotates on the center line so you get equal throws. It's also very strong and durable. It adds a little strength to the surface line, and it's nearly impossible to pull apart. Since the tape opposes itself every few centimeters, it doesn't pull up. Let me know if you use this on your planes, it's a big upgrade to the 'standard' tape hinge.

How To: Tape Weave Hinges for Planes (10 min 27 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Oct 02, 2013, 02:42 PM
Remember the method from a balsa cl kit I built with my father decades ago. Was annoyingly tricky to place the hinges accurately, but once done they worked great. In fact the plane still exists & I bet they still work well.

Have been meaning to try it on a foamie but laziness & a short life expectancy for my planes put me off.
Oct 02, 2013, 03:57 PM
Drone offender FA377YHFNC
Going to try this out on my Grim Reaper with thicker control surfaces. I'll let you know how it works.
Oct 02, 2013, 04:39 PM
Rocket Programmer
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins
Going to try this out on my Grim Reaper with thicker control surfaces. I'll let you know how it works.
Yeah, post pics if you can. One of the advantages of this technique is it works great on thick surfaces. In fact, the thicker the surface, the stronger it will be because you can overlap the tape farther.
Oct 03, 2013, 03:12 PM
Some of us have done this for years using monokote, ultrakote, Solartex, etc. I use it on 1/4 scale gasoline powered planes also. Never had a failure yet and some are more than 10 years old.
Oct 03, 2013, 03:58 PM
Rocket Programmer
Thread OP
Good to know. I know it's an old technique, but I've experienced covering materials getting brittle after many years, so it's interesting to hear that some materials will work.
Jun 24, 2014, 01:50 AM
This is kid stuff.
Thanks for the how to. Looks like just the ticket for me, rarely seem to get those bevel just right.

I'll start practicing on some scraps tonight. Again, thank you for taking the the time to do the vid.
Jun 24, 2014, 09:41 AM
Senile Member
Jasmine, you moved!

Will this hinging method also work on red slow sticks?

Larry
Jun 24, 2014, 12:25 PM
Rocket Programmer
Thread OP
Hell yeah, works on woody planks too. I moved to Arizona. It's hot but no snow. Not doing as much flying as I want to, but that will pick up when I find a club.
Jun 24, 2014, 06:51 PM
This is kid stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnagel
Jasmine, you moved!

Will this hinging method also work on red slow sticks?

Larry
You'd better paint it blue to make sure.

Quick Reply