Thread Tools
Oct 01, 2013, 03:19 AM
Registered User
Alert

New GoPro Hero 3+ announced.


http://gopro.com/news/gopro-launches...selling-camera

GoPro: HERO3+ Black Edition: Smaller, lighter, mightier still. (4 min 36 sec)


Review:

http://gizmodo.com/gopro-hero-3-hand...ump-1431861328


GoPro Hero 3+ vs. Hero 3 (Black editions) (1 min 31 sec)
Last edited by Tatty; Oct 01, 2013 at 05:14 AM.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Oct 01, 2013, 05:06 AM
Registered User
GoPro website states the new Hero3 Black+ camera weights 74gr which is the same as the regular Hero 3 Black.
The weight with housing is 136gr. while the older housing with the Hero3 Black was something like 170gr or so.

So the actual weight/size improvements seems to be just in the housing, not the camera itself.

HW specs itself I guess they now use a refresh of the current Ambarella A7 with a slight higher clock speed and some FW tweaks
to reduce live video feed lag ( much reduced but not eliminated, as the press release states ) and improve battery life a bit.

For multirotor use, if you currently have a Hero 3 Black, which typically will fly naked screwed to a gimbal, there is no need to upgrade to Hero 3 Black+.
Oct 01, 2013, 06:40 AM
Registered User
No need in regards to weight but your video will look better.
Oct 01, 2013, 07:40 AM
Registered User
I guess thats a good thing for us gimbal users no? Zenmuse, Arris and Tarot will work with Hero3+
Oct 01, 2013, 12:15 PM
FlyingBear
Gopro's marketing photos are misleading. They show the hero3+ being shorter than the hero3.
Oct 01, 2013, 01:19 PM
Registered User
since I have a 60 exchange policy with best buy my recently purchased gopro silver will be getting an upgrade to a plus. Now i might use the protective case since it is smaller, the wifi upgrade is huge too
Oct 01, 2013, 01:51 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigemike View Post
since I have a 60 exchange policy with best buy my recently purchased gopro silver will be getting an upgrade to a plus. Now i might use the protective case since it is smaller, the wifi upgrade is huge too
Better sure, but still has some lag according to the press release. 1 sec lag is much better than 3-4 secs for sure, but really useful ? ... not sure.

Not to mention that it's not recommended to use WiFi while flying if you use 2,4Ghz for control.
Oct 01, 2013, 05:22 PM
Registered User
2 grams lighter then previous model (naked) and it works fine in a Zenmuse. 5 flights without issue.
Oct 01, 2013, 05:31 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnInsanity View Post
Gopro's marketing photos are misleading. They show the hero3+ being shorter than the hero3.
Which picture do you mean? I've seen one with a comparison in the new waterproof case, but the case itself is shorter/tighter so it seemed fair to me.
Oct 01, 2013, 06:40 PM
:)
So have they forgone the A9 chip?

Or will we see a GPH4 using that chip soon?

The intro of the GPH3+ just seems strange to me
Oct 02, 2013, 07:32 AM
Registered User
I picked one up yesterday.
Last night, at dusk, I sent my f550 up with a quick autonomous flight with the 3+ set on 1080p/30 fps/M/Low Light On. It had just turned dark on the ground a few minutes earlier. I'm near a lake and the fog/moisture you see is where the blueridge mountains get their name. The only editing I did was some slight stabilization. I didn't have time to do a comparison but for what it's worth....

Here's what I got:
Low Light High Speed GoPro 3+ (1 min 21 sec)
Oct 02, 2013, 08:08 AM
Always Excel >>>
BenHayat's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DParker View Post
I picked one up yesterday.
Last night, at dusk, I sent my f550 up with a quick autonomous flight with the 3+ set on 1080p/30 fps/M/Low Light On. It had just turned dark on the ground a few minutes earlier. I'm near a lake and the fog/moisture you see is where the blueridge mountains get their name. The only editing I did was some slight stabilization. I didn't have time to do a comparison but for what it's worth....

Here's what I got:
Was this taken with the new "SuperView" activated? with 30 fps it looks very smooth.
Oct 02, 2013, 08:34 AM
Registered User
DParker,

Thanks for posting that, although when I viewed it youtube only had it up to 720p.
Oct 02, 2013, 10:19 AM
Registered User
Looks good. It did seem to take a while to react to the darker subject though


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale Gopro hero 2 batt hero 3 wifi remote. tbs zeph gopro case layer lens elliott000 Non R/C Items (FS/W) 3 Apr 26, 2013 01:50 PM
Sold New arrival Gopro HERO 3 Silver Edition 100% new free shipping RC4YFPV FPV Equipment (FS/W) 22 Mar 01, 2013 09:52 AM
Cool Just a little video edit using NEW GoPro Hero 3 Black Bixler13 Multirotor Drone Talk 15 Feb 21, 2013 06:57 PM
Sold New arrival Gopro HERO 3 Black & Silver Edition 100% new 100% original free shipping. RC4YFPV FPV Equipment (FS/W) 76 Dec 23, 2012 10:59 PM
New Product GoPro Hero 3 Announced bmschulman FPV Talk 3 Oct 17, 2012 10:29 PM