Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Old Oct 01, 2013, 04:19 AM
Find More Posts by Tatty
Alert

New GoPro Hero 3+ announced.

http://gopro.com/news/gopro-launches...selling-camera

GoPro: HERO3+ Black Edition: Smaller, lighter, mightier still. (4 min 36 sec)

Review:

http://gizmodo.com/gopro-hero-3-hand...ump-1431861328

GoPro Hero 3+ vs. Hero 3 (Black editions) (1 min 31 sec)
Last edited by Tatty; Oct 01, 2013 at 06:14 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2013, 06:06 AM
Find More Posts by yeray
GoPro website states the new Hero3 Black+ camera weights 74gr which is the same as the regular Hero 3 Black.
The weight with housing is 136gr. while the older housing with the Hero3 Black was something like 170gr or so.

So the actual weight/size improvements seems to be just in the housing, not the camera itself.

HW specs itself I guess they now use a refresh of the current Ambarella A7 with a slight higher clock speed and some FW tweaks
to reduce live video feed lag ( much reduced but not eliminated, as the press release states ) and improve battery life a bit.

For multirotor use, if you currently have a Hero 3 Black, which typically will fly naked screwed to a gimbal, there is no need to upgrade to Hero 3 Black+.
Old Oct 01, 2013, 07:40 AM
Find More Posts by DParker
No need in regards to weight but your video will look better.
Old Oct 01, 2013, 08:40 AM
Find More Posts by nesal
I guess thats a good thing for us gimbal users no? Zenmuse, Arris and Tarot will work with Hero3+
Old Oct 01, 2013, 01:15 PM
Find More Posts by CptnInsanity
FlyingBear
Gopro's marketing photos are misleading. They show the hero3+ being shorter than the hero3.
Old Oct 01, 2013, 02:19 PM
Find More Posts by bigemike
since I have a 60 exchange policy with best buy my recently purchased gopro silver will be getting an upgrade to a plus. Now i might use the protective case since it is smaller, the wifi upgrade is huge too
Old Oct 01, 2013, 02:51 PM
Find More Posts by yeray
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigemike View Post
since I have a 60 exchange policy with best buy my recently purchased gopro silver will be getting an upgrade to a plus. Now i might use the protective case since it is smaller, the wifi upgrade is huge too
Better sure, but still has some lag according to the press release. 1 sec lag is much better than 3-4 secs for sure, but really useful ? ... not sure.

Not to mention that it's not recommended to use WiFi while flying if you use 2,4Ghz for control.
Old Oct 01, 2013, 06:22 PM
2 grams lighter then previous model (naked) and it works fine in a Zenmuse. 5 flights without issue.
Old Oct 01, 2013, 06:31 PM
Find More Posts by ElGuano
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnInsanity View Post
Gopro's marketing photos are misleading. They show the hero3+ being shorter than the hero3.
Which picture do you mean? I've seen one with a comparison in the new waterproof case, but the case itself is shorter/tighter so it seemed fair to me.
Old Oct 01, 2013, 07:40 PM
Find More Posts by Soma
:)
So have they forgone the A9 chip?

Or will we see a GPH4 using that chip soon?

The intro of the GPH3+ just seems strange to me
Old Oct 02, 2013, 08:32 AM
I picked one up yesterday.
Last night, at dusk, I sent my f550 up with a quick autonomous flight with the 3+ set on 1080p/30 fps/M/Low Light On. It had just turned dark on the ground a few minutes earlier. I'm near a lake and the fog/moisture you see is where the blueridge mountains get their name. The only editing I did was some slight stabilization. I didn't have time to do a comparison but for what it's worth....

Here's what I got:
Low Light High Speed GoPro 3+ (1 min 21 sec)
Old Oct 02, 2013, 09:08 AM
Find More Posts by BenHayat
Always Excel >>>
Quote:
Originally Posted by DParker View Post
I picked one up yesterday.
Last night, at dusk, I sent my f550 up with a quick autonomous flight with the 3+ set on 1080p/30 fps/M/Low Light On. It had just turned dark on the ground a few minutes earlier. I'm near a lake and the fog/moisture you see is where the blueridge mountains get their name. The only editing I did was some slight stabilization. I didn't have time to do a comparison but for what it's worth....

Here's what I got:
Was this taken with the new "SuperView" activated? with 30 fps it looks very smooth.
Old Oct 02, 2013, 09:34 AM
Find More Posts by Tatty
DParker,

Thanks for posting that, although when I viewed it youtube only had it up to 720p.
Old Oct 02, 2013, 11:19 AM
Find More Posts by HiFli
Looks good. It did seem to take a while to react to the darker subject though