This thread is privately moderated by Jyester, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Sep 30, 2013, 09:27 PM
Jyester
Thread OP
Mini-HowTo

Hobbyking free flight glider conversion

Before I start I'd like to thank John "the wall" Ryan for passing along a gift. The hobbyking free flight glider has a hotliner look to it and sports a V tail. It's your typical foam glider with a one piece wing and fuse with the V tail being held on with double sided tape. It's super simple to assemble and with the add ballast ball under the canopy it gets a good glide. It would be perfect for any child 5-8 yrs old. I started out with the canopy/cockpit area, cutting out foam with a hobby knife and awl. The task is simple go as far down as you can without weakening the nose. I made the opening about a 1/16 of an inch over a inch wide and 1 3/4 long and about a 1/2 inch deep. You'll see in the pics I have plenty of room. Next I focused on the battery bay/hatch I made it big enough to go either 250mah or 350mah. After removing enough foam I needed to open up a hole to pass wires through into the cockpit where the Esc and Rx will reside. I moved to the nose and mounting the motor. I went with the old tried and true rimfire 200 it has plenty of power and can swing a 7x4 prop. I used a dremel tool after removing about a inch off of the nose. I then took my dremel and a sanding drum and went at the middle slowly so it didn't bite at the foam. As it sunk in I started to move in a circular motion to open up the hole. I then made a hole for the motor wires to pass into the cockpit. I then made a ply disc to use as a mount. I had to trim a little here and there till it fit perfectly then trimmed a little at the top to pass wires through. Some exopy took care of securing it to the foam plus I wanted some strength CA makes foam brittle and I didn't have any foam tac. The epoxy works great and I only used a little enough to coat the disc. After the glue dried I mounted the rimfire with two self tapping screws after a few adjustment the fit was perfect and the foam cone I cut off of the nose I hollowed out and it fits perfectly over the motor and does a good job of hiding it. I used a nose cone that came with a motor I bought the fit was again perfect. I focused on the wing cutting out the ailerons. I made them 7 1/2" long and just cut enough foam but left enough to act as a hinge. Plus it had some colorfull tape over the wing it's nice it says Hobbyking would have preferred a name also!! I stopped after the spar was cut and placed into the slit I cut with a straight razor then pushed the carbon in. I did the same with the tail end underneath the V tail. I will up load pics in the morning and try to Finnish off the plane in the next couple of days for a weekend maiden. Update I have found a system that I think will fit into this plan without to much more cutting. I have in fact installed one servo and will size up the rest during the day at work. I cut the elevators out and I have the wire looking for my small tubing to use as pushrod guides. My plan is to run 2 separate wires with them both joining at the servo arm. All I need to do is find some small umx horns to use. My set-up with servos, motor, Esc, Rx and battery should come in at or under 80g that's also including the plane weight. Which was 48.9g the ball was 17grams. Rimfire motor 10g spinner 10grams. Figuring another 20 grams will put me on target. Again will load pics later. Thanks for viewing. update so i picked out two servos that are going to work those ailerons they sre from heli-max, little 2g servos that operate at 5v. Its often hard to find micro servos that are under 4g. the only thing is changing the connector to work with rx. most servos in the ultra micro areana have these molex plugs or spectrum plugs micro jst. this is all good if the had a range of rx that would plug into them easly. i must say im enjoying this build i guess because i've done two so far that work great. banana hobby has a nice g600 free flight glider that im dieing to try out that bird has a T tail. hope yuo guys are enjoying this!!
As I start to finalize this bird I realize I need more room! Who knew wires could take up space. So out came the dremel and that sanding drum. For the most part I have room it's just getting things rite so you don't have to force anything. I mounted the Rx to the underside of the canopy with Velcro. So now I will have room for wire clutter! I'll use a Ca hinge and one magnet for the battery hatch. With battery inside the fuse my AUW has me hovering around 100g. I was looking for 80 AUW but 3oz and some change ain't bad!! Battery weight! Here's the part list

Motor: rimfire 200 weight with mount/ prop adapter 12g
Esc: plush 6A/5v 2-3s weight 5g wires have been shorten
Servos: (2) heli-max 1.7g servos and one 2g servo ( connectors had to be changed to Jr/hitec
Rec.: futaba fhss 6ch micro 4g
Battery: GP electrifly 250 2s weight 13g
Spinner 15g w/prop
Plane weight 48.9g
So as you can see thing add up quickly! I think a brick will work as3x or not 6410lbl will do the job too! If you do go this route I say make sure your servo pockets are clean and keep you battery under the wing for balance reason. I cut my hatch almost even with CF spar that way it becomes somewhat neutral. Opening up the bay gives me the space to move it back or forward to get the CG spot on. I got my servos in and I had to add wire to reach the rx in the nose. It was tricky but I got it done! As not to have to use a y harness I used the rudder channel to run the second servo and slaved the rudder to the elevator. All I have to do now is add control horns to my surfaces and add pushrods and this bird is ready to fly! Not bad considering I had to spend $27 bucks on two heli-max micro servos and extensions. I think it will fly fine, and have plenty of power. If you do attemp this conversion use a foam spinner or go with out! Mines Added weight and good looks so it's a trade off for me. Pics to follow!!
Last edited by Jyester; Oct 08, 2013 at 04:42 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 06, 2013, 06:07 PM
Jyester
Thread OP
Hobby boy and girls we have a winner! I got a maiden flight in about a hour ago. It was a little windy but this glider handled it beautifully. It had plenty of power in fact for it's size it was fast even below have throttle. It make a whistling sound it's not hi pitched but on a fly by it's noticeable. All surfaces have plenty of throw even on low rates. I hope some of you neat fair guy will attempt this conversion or anybody that wants a smally light weight plenty of power lunchtime special. Fly high,fly fast,crash pretty!
Oct 06, 2013, 07:15 PM

V tail Maided flight

what a success it took off like a jet & the wind was wild but it flew beautiful.My hat off to the Vtail.
Oct 06, 2013, 07:21 PM
Jyester
Thread OP
Words of encouragement from my wingman/ student! Thanks Paul it was a awesome flight. You guy that got one of these from hobbyking get at it! It's super easy to do, I have paved the way.
Oct 10, 2013, 11:54 AM
Jyester
Thread OP
This is hard to say but it has to be said! My little baby went in this afternoon on my lunchbreak! Apparently I have a loose wire connection! No real damage small dent in LE and canopy. Motor and firewall both intact but ejected from the plane!! Think I hit a branch on the way down other than that it still looks great!! It a survivor!!
Oct 11, 2013, 06:22 AM
Jyester
Thread OP
Update after looking over the slight damage I made some easy fixes. I took a nail and poked holes into the foam where the mount was going and used little more epoxy to push in to the holes for extra hold. The cowl was glued on in to spots to give it better holding strength. And some tape to hold the wing straight. Other than that she flew as if nothing had ever happened. It's a tough bird I must say, and fast! I've learned to fly well below half throttle. Fly high, fly fast, crash pretty..
Oct 13, 2013, 09:44 PM
Jyester
Thread OP
This plane is "awesome"!!! I've been flying it these past couple of days in the wind! Both yesterday and today had gust up to 12mph maybe more but this plane just handle it! The wind did move it around in flight but remained rock solid in control and attitude into and with the wind. Into the wind it wanted to climb. The glide is predictable and not long lasting like you would think! Once the power is turned off it wants to come down. With the rite battery flights of 10 minutes or more are possible. So far I've been flying with a electrifly 250 mah 20c 2s I saw a TP 325mah 3s that's the rite size and with the rite prop I think the performance will change for the better. Hope you guys are taking notes!!
Oct 14, 2013, 07:42 PM
Check out what I found !!!! https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...kyraid+retract all ordered coming from china though
Oct 30, 2013, 12:00 AM
Sammy_RC
Hi. Great project. I would definitely would like to see a video of the flight. I would like to build one too.

By the way, which is that orange colored plane beside the Hobbyking, the one you were comparing the size with?
Nov 03, 2013, 02:32 PM
Jyester
Thread OP
thanks im waiting for a perfect day before the snow falls here in the northeast! it was a easy conversion! the orange plane was a fox glider they were popular a few years back. I think the best motor for this plane is the rimfire 200 but the rimfire 150 would also do the job very well, and provide the perfect speed for indoor flying. im trying out slow flyer props. had a cam speed prop and it was fast for its size.
Nov 11, 2013, 06:01 AM
Video please?
Dec 31, 2013, 02:34 PM
It is a shame that all those micro components are pretty expensive, specially micro servos 1.7grams. I tried the conversation with 3.7g servos and a little overweight components, and my experience is that it is a rock, not easy to control at all. will make a second attempt anytime soon and will try to remove at the limit all the unnecessary weight and see how it flies. It must to work, have to!
Jan 05, 2014, 02:44 PM
Do you have a video?
Mar 15, 2014, 05:25 PM
Malcolm M.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagob
It is a shame that all those micro components are pretty expensive, specially micro servos 1.7grams. I tried the conversation with 3.7g servos and a little overweight components, and my experience is that it is a rock, not easy to control at all. will make a second attempt anytime soon and will try to remove at the limit all the unnecessary weight and see how it flies. It must to work, have to!
Did you remove the ball weight from your's?

I know it's been a while but I'd like to know if you made a second attempt.

Seems like if you remove the ball weight in the front and all the hobbyking advertising you could make up that weight with your components (maybe not motor version).

I just received one of these the other day. First thing I did was take all the decals off and I think that was considerable weight right there. (Maybe it's my personal problem: I can't stand advertising on a product I paid for). They weren't applied very smoothly anyway.

Next I plan to make a small hotwire tool to melt out recesses for battery, servos etc.. in an attempt to keep the surfaces as clean as possible. I think it could use some minor carbon reinforcement to stiffen the tail and maybe some thin laminating film over the wings or selected areas. Definitely the trailing edges are too thick as they come out of the box IMO. If thinned down they will need some kind of film cover for protection.

I think this product has some promise -- at least as a slope glider.

Cheers,

Malcolm
Mar 17, 2014, 01:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deuxchevaux
Did you remove the ball weight from your's?

Seems like if you remove the ball weight in the front and all the hobbyking advertising you could make up that weight

I think this product has some promise -- at least as a slope glider.

Cheers,

Malcolm
I think your right remove all covering and ball weight and slope it!!! I am getting two delivered today to do just as you suggested. I am thinking though one 7g servo for ailerons and one for elevator, 1s lipo, lipo voltage booster and orange receiver. Where is the ball weight located? easy to remove without cutting to much? Thanks

Quick Reply