Sep 29, 2013, 10:20 PM
Winging it Ň>
Thread OP
Idea

G.N.A.T.S., EPP VTOL Tailsitter ** FREE PLANS**

Here is a really fun plane motorhead and I have been working on recently...just in time for indoor season. A tail-sitting VTOL jet; kinda like a Pogo.. Easy to fly and easy to hover. Add the durability of epp and the result is a low anxiety very fun ship to fly.

Mike will be kitting this plane and offering free plans for scratch builders too.

The GNAT was designed to be very easy to build, fly and hover. Minimal parts, easy to paint and decorate. When balanced and trimmed well it will lock into a nice high alpha flight and will also hover hands free.

Something I want to try is a story line that goes along with this design. I'll post the first chapter in the next post. If there is interest I will add chapters over time.

PLANS drawn by motorhead have been posted in post #3. Thanks Mike!

G.N.A.T.S. VTOL (0 min 56 sec)

VTOL testing (1 min 41 sec)
Last edited by leadfeather; Oct 13, 2013 at 09:21 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 29, 2013, 10:23 PM
Winging it Ň>
Thread OP

Chapter 1

G.N.A.T.S.

Lt. Major Gilbert had always considered himself to be one of the luckiest test pilots around. Actually, the title of “test pilot” was an enormous understatement. Sure the test flying was the the most fun, but with his masters in aerospace design, Gilbert had the rare qualifications enabling him to test, report, design, redesign and tweak until any of his many projects were “up to his expectations” It was well known by those with clearance to be involved in his projects that when the now Major pronounced that a craft was up to his expectations, it meant that the craft was perfect for it's duty.

Being in a remote and unclassified test base was not enjoyed by most pilots and barely tolerated by a few others, but Gilbert loved his job and his home in the dessert. There was little if any traffic to contend with on the ground or in the air; access to some of the best minds in aerospace and; most of all; the availability of almost every known craft from the 1950's and forward for testing and for retrofitting as needed. One of his favorite type of assignments was to revisit older designs and re-evaluate them in terms of the newer technologies...most of which had been developed after his birth in 2021. Now; 42 years; later Lt Major Gilbert considered himself to be in the most exciting era; ever; of aviation.

The two biggest technical breakthroughs had come when hes was still in school. First in about 2043 came the first practical fusion generators or Fugens as they became known. A combination of element 115 coupled with the fusion of Boron atoms was the basis for the aneutronic energy revolution around the world. This clean and abundant energy was first met with naysayers and skeptics; but as history had proven; the Fugens were the biggest and most important invention in the history of mankind. No moving parts, controllable, scalable to any size and task, inherently safe and no harmful emissions of any kind. In fact the only byproducts were a very small amount of helium4 and just enough waste heat to be useful in some applications. The most important result of the Fugen revolution was unequaled world peace. With no need to compete for energy resources around the globe, large scale conflicts had essentially ended.

The second breakthrough came around 2045, or there about. Gravity modifying research had been on going for many decades; mostly theoretical work; but with the advent of the Fugens, the power to weight required to make gravity drives practical for transportation. The early work on the gravity
drives required large ground-based power stations feeding high voltage electricity to the gravity drives now called G-drives. The G-drives themselves were not particularly heavy and could provide tremendous propulsive forces, but when you added the weight of the required ground based generators, the on-board transformers required to attain the 10s of trillions of volts required for G-drive operation; it just wasn't practical for aviation use. It was the marriage of Fugens reactors with G-drives technology that was in a word perfect. The Fugens provided the extreme voltages required for the G-drives using a direct energy coupling and no need for a transformer of any kind. The whole Fugen/G-drive unit was small and light and very easy to control. No moving parts, highly reliable and could be built to almost any scale. Shielding the high voltage only required a simple Farraday's cage; simple 1800's technology. The aviation and aerospace implications of this technology were enormous. Propellers were something only seen in museums, jet engines were a thing of the past...not to mention the ground transportation applications reaching every corner of the earth.

It was in the late 50's (2050's) that Major Gilberts dream assignment came to him. It was not his biggest assignment to date, nor was it one of his biggest achievements in aviation, but it was by far his most satisfying and enjoyable projects of his very colorful career. Since the 50's the Air Force had shifted most of it's resources to peace keeping and humanitarian duties. It was decided that a special very small, short range aircraft, capable of near earth flying and with the ability to operate in the smallest of spaces was required to fulfill some of the required objectives and task. Lt. Major Gilbert was hand picked for this assignment and was given full authority and responsibility of this project from inception all the way to the “up to his expectations” stage of development. From this assignment came the birth of the G.N.A.T.S. The G-drive, Near earth, Adaptive seating, Tactical Squadron.
Sep 30, 2013, 03:43 AM
Build instructions and plans for the GNATS VTOL tailsitter.

Built per plans the it should balance at the CG which is 11.75" from the nose.

Kits will be available at Fancyfoam.

Mike
Last edited by motorhead; Oct 25, 2013 at 02:23 PM.
Sep 30, 2013, 10:14 AM
RC Adddict
Very nice little plane
Sep 30, 2013, 10:21 AM
Quads & Planes, cant beat them
Nice plane, great story!
Sep 30, 2013, 10:22 AM
Quads & Planes, cant beat them
Mike, I haven't received the T-50 yet and here you release another great plane. Now I have to save for another order.
Sep 30, 2013, 12:42 PM
Damn this gets addictive.
Subbed.
Looking forward to plans.
Sep 30, 2013, 08:34 PM
When pigs fly rc
Love the story and the plane.
just in time for indoors
Oct 01, 2013, 05:42 PM
Sorry LF. Looks like ACME hacked my computer and stole the design. They have already sold one.
Mike
Oct 01, 2013, 07:02 PM
Winging it Ň>
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead
Sorry LF. Looks like ACME hacked my computer and stole the design. They have already sold one.
Mike
Lol, maybe now the coyote will finally catch the road runner.
Oct 03, 2013, 01:05 PM
Looks good! Can't wait for you to let me fly it

Good story too, I have a feeling though that people will find me even more strange if I make and fly one of these as I will be flying while making sound effects and saying things like "Lt. Major Gilbert initiating the G-drive, adaptive seating engaged, and liftoff!"
Oct 03, 2013, 04:07 PM
Winging it Ň>
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by adreher
Looks good! Can't wait for you to let me fly it

Good story too, I have a feeling though that people will find me even more strange if I make and fly one of these as I will be flying while making sound effects and saying things like "Lt. Major Gilbert initiating the G-drive, adaptive seating engaged, and liftoff!"
OK, if hollywood calls me and wants a voice actor for the full length animated movie; you're in.
Oct 03, 2013, 10:21 PM
Professional Pixel Flyer....
Really nice design Leadfeather, another one that will be right at home in Realflight....

Whoops, said too much...
Oct 04, 2013, 09:20 AM
Winging it Ň>
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightcoastRC
Really nice design Leadfeather, another one that will be right at home in Realflight....

Whoops, said too much...
Can't wait!

Oct 04, 2013, 03:08 PM
For flying out loud!
looks brilliant cant wait to see more!

Quick Reply