Jul 22, 2019, 12:45 AM
To me the F15 is faster compared to the F22, but the F22 has better flight characteristics. Personally after having multiple FMS and Freewing 64mm edfs I like the quality of Freewing over FMS. The paint doesn't flake off easily and they seem more durable. I don't know how that's possible since they're all EPO but the FMS planes have to handled delicately or you'll leave impressions in the foam or chip the paint.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 22, 2019, 11:34 PM
That is my experience with FMS too. My 980mm P-40 was absolutely terrible that way. Would have paint chips on my hand after just holding it....
Jul 29, 2019, 11:43 PM
Joining this party a little late but finally picked one up from MotionRC.

Got the 3S version since I can use that powerplant in my old Stinger 64. I purchased an 11-blade FMS fan that came with a Predator 2840-3150 motor - its rated to produce 1100g thrust so I'm hoping she won't be underpowered. I also picked up a Turnigy Plush-32 60 Amp ESC.

My questions are concerning the Y-connectors for the ailerons and elevator - is there any easy way to do independent control without having to crack open the frame to remove the Y's and replace with single connectors? Or do you just cut the Y and splice in individual connectors?

Here's mine next to my BlitzRC 50mm Raptor and the FMS fan and motor.
Jul 30, 2019, 01:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aframomum
My questions are concerning the Y-connectors for the ailerons and elevator - is there any easy way to do independent control without having to crack open the frame to remove the Y's and replace with single connectors? Or do you just cut the Y and splice in individual connectors?
You only have to cut one cable from the Y, then install a single connector, giving you separate-channel elevators.
Latest blog entry: Digital LED Voltmeter
Jul 30, 2019, 01:41 AM
Thanks for the reply fredmdbud. I don't have much experience in modifying servo cables so should be fun!
Aug 20, 2019, 08:21 PM
Maidened a few weeks ago with the landing gear on. Plane looked great tracking down the runway then shot straight up - a bit tail heavy. Had to do a few go-arounds to get a somewhat decent landing.

Really didn't like the look of the dangling gear while in flight so pulled it (had to dremel cut the front strut off) and made her a belly lander.

Since then this plane has become a wonderful flier, esp after getting the CG a little more forward. I did program a bit of up elevator with the flap switch to make hand launching much easier. It took a few flights before I got a comfortable grip for hand launches.

This plane is a great flier and looks terrific in the air. I have been practicing slowing high alpha's as they look really cool going in slow circles across the field. The FMS fan/motor has plenty of power to pull out of any low situation I may get into, and I've had a few whoa moments!

Overall I'm very happy with this FW F-22. It is large enough for the size field I have, has great detail, and has nice flight characteristics.

A few things I did before the first flight:

- alcohol thinned epoxy brushed on the leading edge of the elevators and around the intakes
- poly acrylic brushed over the entire airframe (1 coat on top, 2 coats on the bottom)

So far the underside is holding up just fine. I think the thinned epoxy on the elevators was the reason for the slight tail heaviness I had during the maiden.
Last edited by Aframomum; Aug 20, 2019 at 08:25 PM. Reason: text
Aug 21, 2019, 10:03 AM
Fox Four,..Guns, Guns, Guns!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwoocrew
Received the metal gears and they installed fast and easy held on by 2 screws each. Fastest RR ever! I love this plane all around flight and ease of replacing components no gluing etc. The manual states the aileron servos are metal geared but I didn't pull it out to check. I don't know why they didn't just install metal gears for the elevator servos?

I'm still flying on 3S 2200 40c but upgrading this plane in the future to 4S will be easy!
A short video....
Maiden Freewing 64mm F-22 on 3S 2200mah from Motion RC (1 min 57 sec)

Quick Reply