Dec 07, 2013, 03:54 PM
Beautiful! And an unbelievably fast build.
Congrats on getting her out. Yep, the brig sails like a banshee. Really great fun.

Since no human can build thjis fast, I thought maybe you were an alien. But then I saw the reason for the fast build....you didn't finish the ratlines!!!
to remove ads between posts
Dec 07, 2013, 04:26 PM
Thread OP
haha yup i finished the stb main one and started on the stb fore ones but its alot of work. Hey did you have an issue with the course yard being pulled up at the end by the brace when its hard over?
Dec 07, 2013, 05:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdoc
Hey did you have an issue with the course yard being pulled up at the end by the brace when its hard over?
From your pics, it looks like the main course braces run forward and sharply upward. My current rigging keeps the braces as horizontal as practical. That helps keep the yards level thru their full range of travel.
But a lot of little things help too. Epoxy the truss horizontal arm into the yard so it doesn't rotate, and run the truss vertical arm into a tube or double eyebolts on the mast to help lateral stability. Also, Syren lifts are balanced and do pull on the yard arms, helping again to keep the yards level.
The course yards also have slings that pull the yard upward (so that the longer trusses that Syren has don't droop). The slings "trolley" side-to-side, again help stabilize the yards horizontally. Biggest factors tho are probably keeping the brace travel as horizontal as you can AND adjusting the sails evenly. The sails themselves do a lot to keep the yards parallel to each other.
It took a lot of observation and trial and error to get everything working smoothly and to have it all adjustable for different sail deployments. Part of the fun.
Dec 07, 2013, 06:19 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Dan the braces that turn sharply upward are for the topsail. I'm planning on moving those up to leave the main mast above the main top. I'm also thinking about bracing the gallant yards. Piggybacking them from the top braces along the mast.
Dec 13, 2013, 05:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdoc
..... thinking about bracing the gallant yards. Piggybacking them from the top braces along the mast.
The t'gallant yards are pretty much shorter than the topyards, so the "pull length" of the t'gallant braces will be shorter. May work with the piggyback, it may not. Might require some bungee to allow some stretch in t'gallant braces if the topsail braces pull them to much.

Best,
Dan
Apr 08, 2015, 07:42 PM
Thread OP

Hello All!!

Well it's been a while since I posted and thought it was about time. After her first season of sailing I can say that I've learned bunches but also have amassed a large "To Do List" of tweaks and refits that need to be done with Reprisal. One of the most surprising things I found out was that these boats run off blood just like the real ones do. I can't count how many times I've injured myself (minor cuts and scrapes) working on Her. It's just as frustratingly pleasant as the real deal. I'll start posting my refits and redesigns as I get through them. Here's some photos of Reprisal and the last boat I skippered on Eyowyn

Cheers!

Justin
Apr 09, 2015, 11:04 AM
Justin,

Looks great!

kind regards
Tim
Jul 16, 2015, 05:22 PM
Thread OP

New Mast's

Well its been slow going over the past few weeks. I decided to redo my masts and rigging starting with new ones that are more scale. I got several reference books on period ship rigging. My masts have taken a lot longer than the first time because I've been drafting up new hast heads and printing them off with my 3D printer. Lots of pulling apart all I did and refinishing and cleaning up the mistakes from the first time. So here's a few pics of what I've done so far

-Justin
Jul 16, 2015, 06:06 PM
Fantastic! Looking forward to following your work.
Jul 16, 2015, 08:00 PM
HI Justin,

Looks fantastic!!

kind regards
Tim
Aug 31, 2015, 06:16 PM
A question for those who are remodeling the masts and sails. Are you using the slotted spars and plastic inserts as provided with the original kits or are the lacings the primary method (as per the original ship)? Would the use of a support rod (carbon fibre was suggested in one prior post) along the top of the sail be needed or recommended? Has anyone found a source for Supplex in an appropriate color to use in replacing or expanding sail inventories?
Sep 01, 2015, 09:34 PM
Thread OP
On the original I did the plastic strips along the head of the squares but with this rebuild I've bent on the sails to the yards. Most of the yards have the slot in them (which helps with centering the bolt rope I've stitched in). The yards I've made do not. I don't see much of a difference. I think its easier than the way the plans called for. Here's what mine look like between the two. The first 2 are the fore top with the slotted yard and the last ones are the main t'gallant with a non-slotted yard
Last edited by ditchdoc; Sep 01, 2015 at 10:00 PM.
Sep 01, 2015, 09:52 PM
Thread OP
For the past month or so I've been working on the standing rigging and the "static" running rigging. I got a bit carried away with making things scale and have complicated the mess out of things lol. The result though looks really great. Im in the middle of redoing the servo mounts again but with my 3D printer has made this way easier. I ordered a rope walk that is on the way. My old one had some issues w/breaking and limiting the actual finished length of my lines. This new one will hopefully fix this. Ive also built a new serving machine that may combine handy late. Ive also had to reorganize my work bench to help store all the blocks, hooks, rings ect. that I've gathered over the past few months for Reprisal. So here are some pic's of the work I've done so far.
Sep 02, 2015, 01:29 AM
Very nicely detailed. I am just starting to replace the original sails and rigging on Grasshopper so I am following along closely. Thanks.
Sep 02, 2015, 06:00 AM
Great looking ship! I'll keep watching your craftsmanship. Your pictures are very helpful too.

Quick Reply