Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Sep 27, 2013, 07:27 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Eagle Tree gps altitude problem

Ive been using Eagle Tree OSD Pro, elogger V4 with gaurdian stabilization and gps expander trouble free for hours and hours of flight. Recently the altitude reading started drifting by hundreds of feet. Strangely the speed, radar and compass readings remain accurate. I replaced the gps sensor and things worked great for several flights but the problem came back. I replaced the gps again but this time it made no difference. Any thoughts for a solution?
to remove ads between posts
Oct 01, 2013, 07:48 AM
Hello,

Can you advise how many satellites are locked and what the HDOP is when you are seeing this issue? If there is a high HDOP and/or low satellite count, I would suggest looking for onboard or environmental RFI and would suggest mounting the GOS antenna on top of some copper foil or sheet to help maintain a strong satellite lock.

Regards, John
Nov 04, 2013, 07:46 AM
Hi,
With the last software the gps altitude reading doesn't work with 7 satellites locked. Every thinks are good but not altitude.
Nov 04, 2013, 09:06 AM
Hello,

Please open a support ticket on our website and we will help you get it sorted.

Regards, John
May 04, 2014, 05:06 PM
Hi All,

I've been flying for quite a long with ET and have had multiple high-altitude attempts so far.
Last time I was (unsuccessfully) trying to reach 7000 m and expecting the baro altimeter to go off shortly after 6000 as its official limit is 20000 ft.

I was surprised however to see that GPS altitude also went wrong just a couple of hundreds meters higher than baro! Distance reading remained accurate. Here is the recording of that flight:

6500 crash (9 min 49 sec)

Watch the clip from 0:45 till 2:10 (and switch the annotations off as they're in Bulgarian )

I've never seen in the ET docs any notion that GPS altitude is somehow limited. Is it a software issue or my oversight? I'm flying on 10.43.
Thanks in advance to everybody for any relevant info.
May 05, 2014, 11:15 AM
Hello,

Can you download the latest Data Recorder and update all firmware to the latest and see if that corrects the issue? If it does not, please open a support ticket on our website and we will help you get it sorted.

Regards, John
May 05, 2014, 05:21 PM
Hi John,
Thanks for the reply, will do.
Earlier I was reluctant to update as people were complaining about sluggish AHI in latest versions;
but now it seems to be a good reason to update anyway
Sep 24, 2014, 04:43 PM
Hi John ,

I've just downloaded the most recent release software, which is 10.52 and checked the firmware version: it has not changed since 10.43.
Here what I currently have:
elogger 1.21
osd 2.66
altimetrer 1.06
guardian 1.19

I assume my issue isn't due to the obsolete firmware. What would you suggest?
Sep 25, 2014, 09:11 AM
Hello,

Please open a support ticket on our website and we will help you get it sorted.

Regards, John
Nov 24, 2015, 02:56 AM
Let the force be with you!
Hello,

After take off the Barometric altitude and the GPS altitude are not equal any more and at moments they have a BIG difference!
Can someone explain to me why is that happening and is it sort of calibration problem or defective sensor? I'm also wondering which of the sensors Vector is using for the Loiter and RTH flight modes? Barometric or GPS or interpolation of both?

Here's a video of the whole flight, where you can see there's a difference all the time after take off. On the OSD you can see GPS Altitude in the upper left corner:

Quanum XJ470 Eagle Tree Vector tunning + gopro4 with 4.35mm lens (26 min 8 sec)

I'm using v11.84 Beta because of the additional settings added as well the oneshot125.

When I went back at home I have read around to find something about this topic and the only thing that found was to make a calibration of the altimeter. I've made one but on the next flight I had a crash (because prop flew off ) and wasn't able to see how it performs after the calibration. Still waiting for replacement parts, but while waiting I decided to ask here about that problem.

Thanks!
Nov 24, 2015, 08:59 AM
Hello,

Yes, the altimeter calibration should be the first step to address this issue. If you find the issue remains after you are able to test, please open a support ticket and we will help you get it sorted.

Regards, John

Quick Reply