The others can be found here:

Part 1: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...hreadid=122951

Part 2: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...15#post1502315

Carry on

Martin
to remove ads between posts
Feb 17, 2004, 12:59 PM
Greediest Suer
Wow this thread is still going strong. My SS is flying fantastic with a rewound 400!. See threadEasy way to strenghthen your wing
Feb 17, 2004, 01:45 PM
Got a chanch to try out my SS without the littlebirdz mortor mount when my prop hit the ground as I was doing touch and goes and it came apart.
I was able to glue it back together, J-B Weld this time, and while that was setting up I flew my plane without it for tha first time.
The Slow Stick is MUCH better with the littlebirdz mount than without it! With it, there is almost no trim change from full throttle to throttle off. Without it the plane seems to be all over the place.
My guess is that you could do much the same thing by bending the fuse. but the mount is may save you a gearbox.
Anyway, I like it. A nice product.

Allons, Randy
Feb 17, 2004, 02:40 PM
I just got through printing and reading the other 2 threads. I printed 2 pages on a single printed sheet and it took me 2 weeks - great info, though!
Feb 17, 2004, 04:45 PM
Question on the SS:
Has anyone had to move their battery in front of the wing mount for proper CG?
Feb 17, 2004, 05:15 PM

yes, no problem

It was tail heavy and gear was too far back with battery pack under wing. This works very well. I have a battery 'tray' with velcro. In front of wing actually makes it easier to change packs also.

Last edited by darrell_f; Feb 18, 2004 at 11:25 PM.
Feb 17, 2004, 05:58 PM
Thats exactly what I was experiencing.

I am using the GWS 7.2v 400mah battery, woul dthat make a difference?
Feb 17, 2004, 06:29 PM
Now pay attention, 007!
Quote:
Originally posted by Renegade-I
Question on the SS:
Has anyone had to move their battery in front of the wing mount for proper CG?
I have a battery forward of the wing, with HS-81 servos well aft of the wing to compensate. This clears up the fuse at the CG for attaching an aerial camera.

In general, placing weight as close to the CG as possible makes for a more maneuverable craft, and weight towards the tail, nose, and wingtips reduces responsiveness. This is actually not a bad thing for aerial photography.

Wing shown was an experiment with spoileron roll control and zero dihedral. Spoileron operation with only one servo gave vague roll control.
Feb 17, 2004, 09:18 PM
That looks good. From the looks of it did you mount the battery sidewise?
Feb 17, 2004, 09:36 PM
Been There! Done That!
I take a different approach. I balance the plane without the battery and then everything I put at the CG... battery (any size or mixed) AP camera, bomb drop, parachute drop , etc. or any combo! Never a worry if it will balance! Pic shows battery mount and camera/bomb drop/parachute mount on side
boomer
Feb 17, 2004, 10:03 PM
Boomer,
How close/far does that put you to the front?
Feb 17, 2004, 10:13 PM
Now pay attention, 007!
Quote:
That looks good. From the looks of it did you mount the battery sidewise?
Yes. I clipped the pushrod guides off two TE brackets. Velcro straps hold it in place between the rubberband posts. No problem with it slipping sideways.

The heavy battery (7 oz) made inline mounting a problem if I wanted it fully in front of the gear.

Down for maintenance, here it is sans stick:
Feb 17, 2004, 10:57 PM
Been There! Done That!
Quote:
Boomer,
How close/far does that put you to the front?
My present MP Jet brushless setup is 7-1/2" from front of motor to front of wing! Flys fantastic!
boomer
Feb 18, 2004, 12:50 AM
Interesting variation, Karl. I just have the battery on velcro. Take a rectangular piece of plywood, and cut it the length of the battery pack, the width of one velcro strip. Epoxy onto the battery holders and viola. With a thrust mount moving the motor farther up, balancing isn't much of a problem anymore so you can get away with it that far back.
-Michael
Last edited by aeropenguin; Feb 18, 2004 at 12:54 AM.
Feb 18, 2004, 09:42 PM
Now pay attention, 007!
Michael, did you epoxy a plate to the battery holder for a horizontal mount, or inline? Where are you placing your battery?

I tried several configurations to get the battery forward of the wing/landing gear, all assuming a 2.2 oz Nippy Black 1812/100 mounted axially at the front, bolted to a GWS gearbox (picture). With the battery inline (maybe 5" long), there was no way to balance since the wing was pushed back to make room for the battery. I was able to balance with an 8" fuse extension, resulting in a longer tail with the servos on wire extensions as well, but I didn't like the long length. Too easy to slam in car doors, run into walls, etc. My wing is about 2" aft of the front of the stick. Lots of room for all manner of camera mounting options without the battery getting in the way.

Anyone run a more-or-less stock plane with zero incidence, ie. using two LE brackets or two TE brackets?
Last edited by Full Fast; Feb 18, 2004 at 09:46 PM.

Quick Reply