Mar 01, 2004, 09:12 PM
I'm out flying on the hill
KreAture,

Now I understand your position, this after reading previous threads..

Question???

The Code for " Takao"s BL controller does it work?

I know from reading the previous thread you said it did not work.

My question is how did showed his working( I guess this question is more for Takao ) model of his controller on flyable model-plane?

Martin
to remove ads between posts
Apr 29, 2004, 08:33 AM

Underconstruction BLDC

This is Jo's SBL-Micro

underconstruction
Apr 29, 2004, 08:25 PM
hadihf,

Thankyou for the good picture of the board.

Are you in the USA?

Did you get schematics with his kit?

I have not ordered mine yet.

Martin
Apr 30, 2004, 12:37 AM

Kit

No Schematic...PCB and Pre-programmed MC from Jo ..but software updated are always available..and Jo is very helpfull.
Regards
Jun 07, 2004, 03:41 PM

BLDC controller schematic + software

Hi,

I'm from Germany and about half a year ago I started to build a BLDC controller. It's my passion to develop hardware and software. Searching for DIY solutions I found a lot of material and tried some different experiments. My goal was a cheap and simple contoller.

Now I have a running board with running software - all brushless motors I have, work fine. There's a schematic in eagle format and a assembler source for the AVR AT90S2313. All that I collected for free on my homepage:

http://home.versanet.de/~b-konze/

The only condition is, that it comes as it is, without warranty of any kind.

The site is in German, but the schematic I think is international and the source is commented in English. The document that gave me the best hints was BPRA072.PDF for the TMS320F240 from Texas Instruments.

The voltage and current control is tested but not yet complete implemented.
I have a development board but not a PCB that fits into a slowflyer. Maybe there is someone out there, who's passion it is to make a good PCB.

Sorry for my English !

QUAX
Jun 08, 2004, 01:00 AM
Nice work there Quax. I also used the BPRA072 for my design work. My main job at work is to lay out boards, but I have already made my own controller ….but I am sure somebody will want to do it.

Some questions though. Seeing your using a single chip to do everything, what is your PWM frequency and max. Controller frequency. Also how many amps can you get with your SI4420 & 25 devices?

My first attempt was something like you have done, but dropped it due to limitations. I could not get a high enough PWM frequency and the accuracy I wanted for very smooth operation. I found the latency time for interrupts became a problem … and opted for a logic device to handle the PWM and other timing issues.

Congrats for getting this far. Not many people have accomplished building a working brushless controller.
Jun 08, 2004, 05:04 PM
Thanks Mr DIY

I have a period of 100Ás that makes a frequency of 10kHz. The conroller runs with 8MHz. 100Ás makes it all very easy: the rc-puls from 1100Ás to 1900Ás is evaluated and the range (800) than shifted right 3 times means divided by 8 - makes 100 and is directly used for PWM. Timer0 is set to 1Ás and has only to generate the PWM and to evaluate the PWM state.

I designed all my interupt services as short as possible and have not recognized timing problems so far.

The FETs should run near to 8A. But then they should have at least a sheet of alu for cooling. Without I think it's good for 5A continuously.

My destinations are cdrom motors with neodym with the powerrange fo 6 to 7 cells and about 5A max.

QUAX
Last edited by quax; Jun 09, 2004 at 03:09 AM.
Jun 09, 2004, 01:54 AM
Nice going. Thanx for the explanation

Mine is a little more complex in that it uses only N channel fets with FET drivers and has the PWM frequency configurable from around 4KHz to greater than 30KHz. I do like the simplicity of yours though for smaller motors.
Jun 09, 2004, 10:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by quax
Hi,

Now I have a running board with running software - all brushless motors I have, work fine. QUAX
Great news!

As far as I know, your design is the only working open solution on the net.
I like the clean hw design.

Do you have test results?
(What is the maximum rpm ? Is it starting up safely all the time? The efficiency is comparable to a commercial controller? etc.)
Last edited by mmormota; Jun 09, 2004 at 10:17 AM.
Jun 09, 2004, 03:55 PM
well done QUAX
many ppl ( including myself ) started this project but very few ( 1 ? ) coplited it
congratulations
Jun 09, 2004, 05:54 PM
Quote:
What is the maximum rpm ?
There is an upper limit, fixed in the software, to detect a deadlock in the commutation control-loop. It is set to 0x40, that means an RPM of 58000, if 6 commutation-changes would make one round.
Quote:
Is it starting up safely all the time?
I can stop the running motor and it restarts again. I never had a deadlock with this software version.
Quote:
The efficiency is comparable to a commercial controller?
I think it is. With an excel sheet I made some efficiency calculations. The calculations were satisfying and the controller kept cold.
Quote:
etc
I hope that this solution is tested not only by me. I'm not a pope for brushless. Therefore I hope for feedback from people who try out my design.

If there are detailed questions concering hardware or software, please let me know. I will do my very best to give a response.

QUAX
Last edited by quax; Jun 09, 2004 at 05:57 PM.
Jun 10, 2004, 02:44 PM

Questions

Quax,

I Thank you for posting your work. I had found your web site from bldc.de website several weeks ago.
You have posted the true DIY brushless controller.

What is the range of Motors your speed controller(I know some speed controllers have problems with LRK outrunner type motors) work with?
(What is the timming range?)

Can you post a viewable JPEG of the Schematic?

What is the maximum number of cells have you used your controller on?

If you use a large(over 40v) amount if cells, do you need to modify the "Sense" resistors in the opamp(I think it is a comparitor) and the same for a very low cell count(3v)?

Thank you,

Martin Vargas
Jun 10, 2004, 04:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by quax
I hope that this solution is tested not only by me. I'm not a pope for brushless. Therefore I hope for feedback from people who try out my design.

If there are detailed questions concering hardware or software, please let me know. I will do my very best to give a response.
QUAX
Thank you very much for publishing the design.
I build it - it seems to be great fun. I enjoyed very much building small CDRom motors, and now I can build to controller too...
I know how much work is necessary to write and test real-time code like this - thanks again.

If my pcb is working well, I of course publish the pcb plan. I like to use a bit higher current FETs, as they are available in small form too (going up to about 10...15 Amps) Schematics can be the original, as the FET input parameters are similar.
Jun 16, 2004, 03:17 PM
Hi,

someone finished creating the PCB. It looks great! 40mmx21mm and 0.8mm thin. We will test it in about 2 or 3 weeks. If all is ok I will place a link on my homepage to the PCB data. Meanwhile I implemented the voltage control with success and I expect to have the current control also implemented, when the board is ready.

Ciao

QUAX
Jun 16, 2004, 03:36 PM
MAVA,

I think there are some remarks in previous replies with answers. The advantage of open design is that everyone can change parts for his own demands. If you redesign the powersection you can higher the voltage.

3V is very interesting. I think about a single li-poly cell supply. The parts on the bldc should work, but I don't know other components, specfied to work for shure with 3V. Of course some value changes have to be made to the bldc design and the max current will become lower.

A greater schematic can found on my homepage.

Ciao

QUAX

Quick Reply