Oct 10, 2018, 03:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nietzsche
Bob,
I was thinking about ordering another witch now so I'll have it finished before Halloween next year, but I suppose I can wait a few weeks before ordering...

Otto,
2 questions...

First.... Sorry if I didn't notice it but do you have a model person flying (flyguy or others) in which their arms are forward?

Second.... have you tried to put any dihedral in the witches cape? I'm thinking of trying to keep the turns as flat as possible & maybe some self correcting tendencies...

Thanks!

Nietzsche
No arms forward Flyguys. Causes significant instability.

Witch is very stable and self correcting. To achieve flat turns the cg would have to be much higher and ailerons would be needed. This would not be self correcting aerodynamically. Flies great as is.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 10, 2018, 09:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Dieffenbach
Making the broom handle.

From Depron scrap, cut four 1 1/16 x 37 inch rectangles. Glue them together to form the main broom handle.
How the 4 long rectangles are glued together is shown clearly enough.

I don't understand the carbon fiber square tube placement.
- How long is it?
- Is it glued to one of the rectangular strips before the 4 strips are glued together?
- How far, if at all, does it protrude from the foam handle end into the box that contains the battery & landing gear?
Oct 11, 2018, 12:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by asolof
How the 4 long rectangles are glued together is shown clearly enough.

I don't understand the carbon fiber square tube placement.
- How long is it?
- Is it glued to one of the rectangular strips before the 4 strips are glued together?
- How far, if at all, does it protrude from the foam handle end into the box that contains the battery & landing gear?
Iím in Europe now.

Use full 40 inch length.
Yes, glue to the strip. You will remove some strip to glue to the carbon cross members between the legs.
A couple inches into the ply battery box.
Oct 11, 2018, 10:53 AM

My Version

Hey, Otto using your basic design here is my version.
Need to add broomstick, the motor will be in front and vertical tail will be the broom staw per your design.
Oct 11, 2018, 01:00 PM
Retired CAD guy
It will be interesting to see how this version flys.
Oct 11, 2018, 01:35 PM
Quote:
Iím in Europe now.

Use full 40 inch length.
Yes, glue to the strip. You will remove some strip to glue to the carbon cross members between the legs.
A couple inches into the ply battery box.
Otto,

In the build pictures, it looks like you assembled the 4 long strips into the foam broom handle before you glued the carbon fiber square tube to the inside of the foam handle. If that is true, why didn't you glue the carbon fiber to one side of foam strips before assembling the foam handle? Wouldn't that have been easier? You could have put some weights on the square tube to "clamp" it down onto the foam strip.

Also, I ran a 33-inch square carbon tube across the cape and won't have enough for the leg cross members (7 inches left). I'll have to substitute some round tubes for the cross members.

You only specified 2 square tubes in your parts list.
Oct 11, 2018, 02:47 PM
Quote:
Otto,

In the build pictures, it looks like you assembled the 4 long strips into the foam broom handle before you glued the carbon fiber square tube to the inside of the foam handle. If that is true, why didn't you glue the carbon fiber to one side of foam strips before assembling the foam handle? Wouldn't that have been easier? You could have put some weights on the square tube to "clamp" it down onto the foam strip.

Also, I ran a 33-inch square carbon tube across the cape and won't have enough for the leg cross members (7 inches left). I'll have to substitute some round tubes for the cross members.

You only specified 2 square tubes in your parts list.
Iím in Italy so will have to check when I get back.
Oct 11, 2018, 06:54 PM
Retired CAD guy
Italy !
Hey COOL, I was there last Fall. WE did a west med cruise out of Civitaveccia.
Pisa, Rome, Naples, Pompeii, , Amalfi, Barcelona, the Blerics, Marseilles, Carrera et al

Right now I am armpit deep in Foam for Witches.

I suppose that it's ~14hrs flighttime from Rome to LA - wheeew !

Have a safe trip back.

Bob
Oct 11, 2018, 10:46 PM
Quote:
Iím in Italy so will have to check when I get back.
What a coincidence, I'm headed there too in a few days.
Oct 12, 2018, 07:37 PM
Is the battery compartment open on 2 sides or just one?
Oct 13, 2018, 03:46 PM
Quote:
Is the battery compartment open on 2 sides or just one?
No. Just open on the top. Safe travels.
Yesterday, 02:25 PM
Retired CAD guy
NOTICE TO EVERYONE interested in purchasing this kit:

You MUST realize and understand the I have NOT advertised this to the general public.
I do not advertise anything !
I did NOT want that much or that kind or EXPOSURE.
I never ever have.

I offer a Cutting service to Modelers who don't have time or expertise to Cut Out their own models.
As such I have NEVER gone on the World Stage to promote ANY of my offerings.

As for TheSuperBoo coverage:

TheSuperBoo was NOT PAID by me.
I did not solicit the exposure that they have provided.
TheSuperBoo simply put together something they FOUND on the net and disseminated it.
ALL WITHOUT authorization by me or Otto.

Basically , Otto and I have been TAKEN ADVANTAGE OF by TheSuperBoo.
TheSuperBoo is in India and has NO CLUE about RC models.

I was caught totally unaware by a sudden increase in inquiries.
I did not have Stock material or shipping boxes for such an onslaught of interest.

If anyone was to thoroughly read thru this RCGRoups thread, they would find several instances
where I caution readers to order early if they expect to complete their model by Halloween.

Please know I have sold many of these kits, both in USA and around the world,
to Modelers who were eager and happy to get what I provide.

But Because some folks have jumped to conclusions about my offering I need to reiterate the basics.

The Flying Witch is just a Kit
1. Foam parts only
2. NOT a Drone
3. Does NOT come with Motor, Prop, Electronics or plywood ( foam only )
4. Requires an experienced builder and experienced RC Pilot to operate

Finally, AMA membership is strongly recommended.

Bob @ Hoosier Cutout Service
Last edited by birdofplay; Yesterday at 02:40 PM.

Quick Reply