Sep 24, 2013, 08:19 PM
Lol Idk
Thread OP
Build Log

1/4 Balsa usa j3 cub build

So... my second thread created. Once again, I hope that it is in the right place. A couple of months ago, I picked up a balsa usa 1/4 j3 kit on ebay for 140 shipped. I thought it would be a good summer project, but I really didn't accomplish much. Now that I'm back in high school and pretty busy, I have had the urge to continue it.

So far, I have been going pretty slowly. This is mostly due to the fact that it gets way too hot in the garage in southern CA. Most of the trouble I have had so far has only been with the clarity of the instructions, and an achy back from bending over to get all of the angles right.

Below is my poorly organized video of progress about two months ago. The cub part starts around 2:50 in the timeline. I really haven't done much more, but I am almost done with the fuselage. It is getting cooler and as soon as I am feeling better, I will be spending much more time on it. Pictures to come as soon as I get my lazy butt out of the computer chair. I'm sure I'll need help as this is my first solo build.

The Stol-182 + 1/4 cub build (4 min 14 sec)
Last edited by cool5tuff; Nov 12, 2013 at 01:29 AM. Reason: wrong category
to remove ads between posts
Sep 25, 2013, 05:46 PM
Rock On- Damon Atwood
Good luck. I luv Cubs.

DAG!!
Sep 26, 2013, 04:04 PM
Brand Newbie
Cool.

Sub'd.
Sep 27, 2013, 02:42 PM
Lol Idk
Thread OP
Been really sick, so I only spent about three hours-Just added the longeron type things and punched out and marked elevator and stab pieces

I have a question about radio gear. I am using the spektrum dx7 (dsm2), and kind of confused as to what receiver I should use for a larger scale model. Some say just a plain old full range receiver works while others say that you need some sort of dual receiver setup and five satellites. I don't have that kind of money. I will however be using a life pack. Some savox sv0220's are on my birthday list.

Unfortunately, the scale only works in lbs...
Sep 27, 2013, 03:09 PM
Brand Newbie
You could grab one of these and two of these and you're only out $70 for everything.
Sep 28, 2013, 10:00 PM
Hi Cool,
Nice job you are doing. I am in the process of rebuilding an Old Balsa USA 1/4 scale cub.
For a plane that you are investing your time and money into, I don't know if I would trust my big bird to those orange receivers. Personally I would go with this receiver, and add one of their longer extensions. http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...iver-SPMAR6210

Don't get me wrong, I use the orange receivers also, but only in some inexpensive park flyers.
Oct 18, 2013, 12:00 PM
Lol Idk
Thread OP
Posting from a school computer. We are currently supposed to be watching student created PSAs, but nothing is happening so.... I have barely had any time to build between college apps and catching up on school work, but I managed to get the vertical stab & rudder completed, and a new sheet of foam with the plans laid out for the horiz. stab. I'll get a picture of the rudder up as soon as I have an opportunity to. School network blocks a lot of the features for this website so no pictures, and code is listed instead of editing options :/ weird.
Nov 01, 2013, 11:52 PM
Lol Idk
Thread OP
17th Birthday!

servos are sv0220mg

Hopefully I'll get something done this weekend
Dec 05, 2013, 08:53 PM
Lol Idk
Thread OP
Update and a question
J3 Update (1 min 20 sec)
Last edited by cool5tuff; Mar 20, 2014 at 09:54 PM.
Dec 06, 2013, 06:58 PM
Closed Account
I have a thread going on at the Scale Fuel Plans forum where I asked if others are fooling around with electric airplanes. Sort of the common statement is that electric is to expensive for airplanes above .60 in size. 5-8 lbs. Obviously you guys don't feel that way. I'm interested in an estimate of the cost for an electric power system for 1/4th scale cub. Thanks for any input!
Dec 06, 2013, 09:34 PM
Electric planes can get very expensive really fast if you buy top brand everything, especially once you go over 6S in power..
Having said that, this Cub requires 60 power, so I'd suggest an Sk3 5055-320 with a 17/10 prop. Esc would be a Turnigy Plush 80A. I see you have some batteries. I'd run this plane on 6S Motor and esc cost about $100.
I fly a 104" Cub built 25 yrs ago, it weighs 13-14lbs (all ply) still flies pretty nice on this system. 10-12 minute flights easy on a 5000mah battery, easier if the plane is lighter. fwiw Doug B
Dec 06, 2013, 10:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Bartley
Electric planes can get very expensive really fast if you buy top brand everything, especially once you go over 6S in power..
Having said that, this Cub requires 60 power, so I'd suggest an Sk3 5055-320 with a 17/10 prop. Esc would be a Turnigy Plush 80A. I see you have some batteries. I'd run this plane on 6S Motor and esc cost about $100.
I fly a 104" Cub built 25 yrs ago, it weighs 13-14lbs (all ply) still flies pretty nice on this system. 10-12 minute flights easy on a 5000mah battery, easier if the plane is lighter. fwiw Doug B
Have to agree with Doug. Electrics can be cheaper than fuel, and you don't have to wipe the electrons off the plane.
Dec 07, 2013, 07:39 PM
Lol Idk
Thread OP
So far, my setup is pretty damn cheap - cheaper than a dle 30. I'm going for towing power, so the motor is way overkill.

tacon bigfoot 160--------------------55
cc hv 110 - ebay---------------------88
2x zippy compact 5s 5800------112

that's 255, so even with shipping and tax (only applies to tacon motor), it is cheaper, and more practical for me. I've never had a nitro or gas plane, so I would need lots of new equipment anyways.
The only problem with electrics is their limited flight time and the fact that all you can do is buy more batteries or make a charging station. I already have some 4s 4400s that should also work for casual flying, so I'm good there. I should get plenty of flight times on 10s 5800
Dec 07, 2013, 08:57 PM
I eat glue
Buying more batteries is like buying more fuel. With batteries getting cheaper all the time I don't see it as much of a negative.

Quick Reply