Sep 24, 2013, 11:03 PM
How high will it go?
I get yelled at every year, and I keep coming back. Seems I always miss a rule or something(not on purpose). The officials themselves get yelled at by Tom. I get why all the rules are there, I've watched the situations and rules evolve over the years, and the rules are for everyone's safety. Most of the officials were very nice enforcing them. But if the rules are for safety, and safety is such a concern, then yelling at a guy while he is flying and taking his kid away from him can't be safe either. I think when you are flying, your concentration should not be broken. No one should ever be yelling, myself included We should all be ambassadors of the hobby. I lost my cool this year after a few nights of partying and sleeping on the ground, first thing in the morning.
Still guys, you have to give Tom and the officials the benefit of the doubt because we don't know what they have to deal with when it comes to people not following the rules. I am a president of an RC club now, and hold (small) events so I get where he is coming from. I think if everyone just cools out a bit, I am sure Tom will address any problems people might have. I know he was fair with me, as always. A little patience from everyone will help here.
No one should ever let this issue take away the joy of going to NEAT. It is a great experience that I look forward to doing each year. Thank you SEFLI.
Anthony
Latest blog entry: FAA registration
to remove ads between posts
Sep 24, 2013, 11:13 PM
Look, anybody who puts on an event like this is a good man. All the aggravation and organizing that goes into it must be a real pain sometimes, and the only reason that you do it is so that a few thousand people can enjoy themselves. That is a wonderful thing.

This is real feedback from a reputable source regarding a problem that you know you have. It would be a shame not to act on it.
Last edited by dmedlock4rc; Sep 25, 2013 at 01:59 AM.
Sep 24, 2013, 11:39 PM
A great day is good lift!
I won't go again. Keep your attitude at your field and don't venture to any other field, I might be there!
Sep 24, 2013, 11:47 PM
Crash 'em if you got 'em
Perception is reality, sad to hear, but hopefully lessons learned. I was really considering going this year - still wish I had.
Latest blog entry: Top Flite P40 .60 is no more
Sep 25, 2013, 12:16 AM
I've been lurking on RCgroups for about a year now, and this response has motivated me to register and post.

I'm relatively new in the hobby (~11 months) and was planning to attend NEAT. I ended up missing the event due to last-minute travel for work. Maybe it worked out for the best, given the FT review. I will not attend NEAT in the future. You seem to be missing the point of the review. My take is that the officials were highly disrespectful. I might take this with a grain of salt, except for the multiple videos that seem to confirm it.

It's not about whether the FT crew broke the rules. Its about the lack of respect that your officials used in dealing with the pilots. I'm a rule-follower, but as a new guy to the hobby, I get anxious about being the new guy. I don't want to go to an event where I get aggressively "called out" for making a rookie mistake.

Maybe you don't care about the fact that guys like me will avoid your event. More room for the veterans, I suppose. Understand, though, that rather than helping build a community around RC, you are doing the opposite.

Respectfully,

--Ron
Last edited by XLCior; Sep 25, 2013 at 12:17 AM. Reason: grammer fixes
Sep 25, 2013, 12:48 AM
Haha...NEAT Fair....you guys take things way to seriously. wow
Sep 25, 2013, 03:12 AM
The videos speak for themselves. Yes, Josh broke a rule. Yes, the man and his 2 sons broke a rule (maybe AMA needs to revisit that rule). But the disrespect that Tom and his officials display goes against human decency. I guess we just throw out the first rule that should be followed, the "Golden Rule," when we put on our little blue jackets. Don't get me wrong, I am all for safety but there is a right way and a wrong way when it comes to dealing with people. Yelling and screaming is not the right way. If an official took one of my children off the flight line while my plane was still in the air, I would have called the police. He has no right to do what he did. He should have asked the father to land, spotted for the father while he landed the plane, and father should be the only one to remove the child from the field.
Sep 25, 2013, 05:19 AM
I think it's almost funny that the defense of the officials actions is being handled here with pretty much the same attitude as described by the Flite Test guys. The video doesn't lie. It is quite sad to see the same nonsense that killed on road racing in this area creeping into flying, including the " great ...don't come...more room for me on the flightline " way of thinking. If that's what you guys really want, it won't take too long before there is only ten of you at the event again....that seems to be the message all the defenders are trying to send. Honestly, if the event has outgrown the venue, which it seems it has, maybe you need a larger venue. I can see how that many pilots in a tight, restricted area could cause tensions to run high, but still, yelling and threatening isn't the way to handle your frustrations. One last thing, don't ever touch anyone elses kids.
Sep 25, 2013, 06:03 AM
Micki and I flew at several KRC meets and we saw how out of control things can get. The SEFLI crew work hard to keep NEAT from degenerating into that kind of dangerous chaos.

Our impression of the Flite-Test crew is a pair of spoiled children, who were upset that they couldn't do what they wanted to (hard to tell exactly what they were talking about in the video as they kept chattering over each other).

As to the small child incident, where is that in the video? Did anyone else see it?

CD
Sep 25, 2013, 06:36 AM
Don't cut the Yellow Wire
This was my 14th NEAT...... Its an East Coast thing, Tom and his grunts run a tight ship..... They're from NY....sorry Long Island....... This is the way things are done around here... The guys may seem a little harsh but Welcome to NY!!!!!

I know many of them personally and they are a great bunch of guys..... Safety was at a paramount this year due to an unfortunate incident in a NYC park that week..... The safety rules were enforced to the letter as they should have been.....

Tom is an AMA Lifetime Achievement Award recipient....There were five others in attendance as well as a full compliment of AMA officials, no other event , Electric or Glow has this ......
Sep 25, 2013, 07:08 AM
Wow... the mass warbird launch was way more dangerous than anything the flitetest guys were doing. You put that "official" jacket on some punk, and they get the big head puffy chest syndrome. There are ways to show authority without rude behavior.
Sep 25, 2013, 07:25 AM
RIP Azarr - "Old age is not for sissies"
I didn't see either of the things mentioned in the video, but if they occurred as presented I have to agree they could have been addressed in a better manner.

That being said, I probably attend as many if not more events than most and I'm tired of seeing a few media and sponsored pilots that think they have special privilege and that rules don't apply to them. My club (and I would expect most) doesn't allow an unsupervised child on the flight line. However I agree that it should have been handled in a much better manner. The Flite-Test crew presents themselves as "professionals" and as such they should follow the rules whether they agree with them or not and then contact the CD. I also cringed when I saw a Hobby King NEAT video where they were all happy about the first flight on their new never flown biplane, again, clearly against all event rules.

I'm sure like most events, constructive criticism is welcome. The "correct" procedure is to never argue with a flight line official, if you have a problem or a concern during an event, then present it in a courteous manner to the Contest Director, that's in his job description. If it's not resolved to your liking then it's up to you whether or not to attend again. That's what I did when at a very popular event I almost got hit by 150mph wing being flown behind the flight line at midnight by a clearly inebriated pilot and everyone thought I was the because I didn't think it was fun.

Azarr
Sep 25, 2013, 07:40 AM
got any foam to bash?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1056729
Wow... the mass warbird launch was way more dangerous than anything the flitetest guys were doing. You put that "official" jacket on some punk, and they get the big head puffy chest syndrome. There are ways to show authority without rude behavior.

We are not the only large scale event that has such an "event". Joe Nall and SEFF have done similar thing with mass launches.
Sep 25, 2013, 07:42 AM
got any foam to bash?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azarr
I'm sure like most events, constructive criticism is welcome. The "correct" procedure is to never argue with a flight line official, if you have a problem or a concern during an event, then present it in a courteous manner to the Contest Director, that's in his job description.
Azarr
Thanks Azarr.

I would also like ot point out that NO ONE came to me over the four days and mentioned to me any inappropriate behavior by my Flightline crew (with the one exception that I was there when the problem started). It does me no good to find out two weeks after the event.
Last edited by Tom Hunt; Sep 25, 2013 at 08:05 AM.
Sep 25, 2013, 08:05 AM
3d Master in Training
Who would want to confront you? Your acting all crazy lol