Sep 24, 2013, 08:32 PM
3d Master in Training
That's simple just don't go lol. You might get what you wish for fella
to remove ads between posts
Sep 24, 2013, 08:42 PM
I think they pretty much shot themselves in the head. Too many nice events in places that are much easier to fly. No way I would ever waste my time going to an event with officials like that.
Sep 24, 2013, 08:49 PM
Fast and getting faster!
Quote:
Originally Posted by garrettt04s View Post
That's simple just don't go lol. You might get what you wish for fella
Exaclty a couple guys who cant follow rules ruin it for the rest of us......It is simple, follow the rules and u wont get yelled at.
Sep 24, 2013, 08:50 PM
3d Master in Training
When I saw him screaming he was yelling at a guy to get to the flight line. Not at someone for doing something against the rules.
Sep 24, 2013, 08:52 PM
My take from watching the flite test video was that they were upset that they were required to have a spotter (and not someone distracted with making a video) when flying and that young children qualified as spotters. Last I looked both of these issues are covered by AMA rules. I have to assume since the flite test people were registered pilots they both had to have had AMA membership which at least implies they agreed to abide by AMA rules at a sanctioned event. Apparently they didnít agree and wanted to do as they pleased. Accordingly, since they werenít allowed, they chose to condemn the NEAT fair publicly. From my experience, I would prefer to be participating at a safe event rather than one where the already inherent risks are magnified by those who believe safety is secondary to their flying whims. The NEAT fair is a well run and safe event and the best RC event I attend each year, bar none. Tom Hunt and his NEAT fair officials should be commended rather than castigated publicly for enforcing long standing AMA rules. Finally, if the flite test folks believe the NEAT fair is somehow putting a negative light on having fun in this hobby, I encourage them to run their own event based on their own spin on what is safe and fun. Oh, and donít worry, I wonít attend because the marginal extra fun isnít worth the risk to me.
Sep 24, 2013, 08:53 PM
Fast and getting faster!
Quote:
Originally Posted by garrettt04s View Post
When I saw him screaming he was yelling at a guy to get to the flight line. Not at someone for doing something against the rules.
Then if you didnt do anything wrong you dont have any reason to belittle or be rate Tom or the event.
Sep 24, 2013, 08:55 PM
3d Master in Training
OMG what don't you understand. The guy is a HOT HEAD end of story. I had a great time there but I didn't fly. If he yelled at me in that manner (Breaking the rules or not) He would have a very serious problem. My own father doesn't yell like that and Id be damned to let him!!!
Sep 24, 2013, 09:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmedlock4rc View Post
The footage of your officials speaks for itself. You treat people badly.

And let me tell you, if one of your boys tried to drag off my six year old son I would immediately drop my transmitter and sort him out.

"Sir, there are no children allowed on the flight line. You're going to have to land your plane now. I'll spot for you."

"OK."

That's how that exchange should go.

You do NOT grab a stranger's kid and drag him off. You do NOT scream at people as step 1.
AGREED.

As a newcomer to the hobby I was seriously considering going to NEAT this year, but after hearing all the negative talk from the officials I'm very glad I didn't waste my time. I don't usually get involved with post like this but I almost paid good money to experience that crap first hand.

Tom, you can say whatever you want about this post falling on the correct ears and repost the rules all you want.. Fact is, from a outsiders perspective you and other officials come off very rude and the evidence is in the video (s). Maybe just assuming responsibility for a poor attitude and chalking it up to experience would go further rather than acting rude and then playing the victim. IMO

This is a HOBBY and is supposed to be FUN..
Last edited by Salty Eyes; Sep 24, 2013 at 09:21 PM.
Sep 24, 2013, 09:08 PM
Frozen Fingers
You guys, the officials at NEAT, can make excuses all you want for the bad attitude you had. I know that I will never attend your event. None of the flying videos looked like fun to me. I am just glad that the Flitetest guys were honest. The Hobbyking guys did not need to vocalize their disappointment, you just needed to watch the video and you can hear for yourself. The official that said he would stomp on the plane was not being funny.
Sep 24, 2013, 09:09 PM
The Earth got in the way!
I'm done. Good luck and I hope you get it back to an enjoyable event.
Sep 24, 2013, 09:45 PM
This was my tenth NEAT.

It appears to me that the nearly constant actions, by one pilot or another, that are contrary to the simple flight rules present a serious (and endless) challenge to the organizers.

While we see some disgruntled opinions and video, we do not see the constant and needlessly un-safe behavior that the NEAT team must deal with. Never mind the bickering on the flight line when a pilot is clearly in the wrong.

As for staff demeanor, I see far more extreme patience in the face of some ass-hat pilot refusing a simple instruction, than anything approaching harsh treatment.

I'll continue to enjoy NEAT and prefer effective enforcement of the simple and reasonable rules.

Chris Parent
Sep 24, 2013, 10:10 PM
Dr. Toggle
While the rest of us who were flying the combat listened and obeyed the rules, there were two people who thought that they were more important than the rest, kept flying. Tom very clearly stated at the beginning that we were to fly until the music stopped or he called an end to the combat. When he did stop the music and announced the end, everyone landed except these two guys. Tom repeatedly asked them to land and they ignored him. Why are there those guys who must always do what they want and ignore the rules. I have flown in every combat flight from the beginning when there were only 8-10 of us. I love the NEAT fair and will always come back!!!!
Sep 24, 2013, 10:42 PM
Paul Dixon
I have been attending the NEAT fair since 2006 and will continue to attend until I can’t fly anymore. I felt inclined to respond on this thread and both defend the organizers and put some things into perspective. For the first time attendees some things to know. Tom and some of his team may come off a bit gruff but their primary job is safety for the pilots, spectators and other planes. This year I flew everything from my micro mini vapor to my 13 lb. 2700 watt Gee Bee R2 that eats up space surprisingly fast at the NEAT field. I brought 13 planes in total that ranged from some foam RTFs to complex kit builds that involved countless hours in the workshop. I brought two ľ scale models that can make the NEAT field feel very small. At this point I have flow enough to feel very confident in my abilities to bring the plane back safely and without harm to others. I follow the rules and always have a good spotter who watches out for the other planes and guides me around the pattern. I expect the everyone else on the flight line to do the same and if not for the organizers to correct that behavior in the most professional way possible. Not to sound mean but this does not include a child or someone looking through the camera lens. There is a time and a place for both of those things but the flight line at a busy event like the NEAT Fair is not one of those times.

All of that said and trying not to take myself and ourselves to seriously we do all of this to have fun. Fun as kids, teens, young adults, middle age...It’s supposed to be fun at all levels and abilities. The NEAT fair is also a place where you can see some fantastic pilots, meet some great vendors, see some awesome and creative models and learn about the hobby. If you don’t feel it is for you based on this or after attending that’s fine as well. We will all be here if you decide to return.

Paul
Sep 24, 2013, 10:44 PM
When Josh Bixler, the nicest guy in RC, says that you have a problem... you have a problem. You know you do. The main thrust of the review was that your officials are extremely disrespectful. You are defending your rules instead of responding to the main point because IT REALLY IS A PROBLEM. Flitetest has only ever given one product or event a bad review, and that was only one guy, and all the other personalities rushed to the company's defense. When JOSH BIXLER says you need to clean it up, it's time to self-reflect.

And again, anybody tries to drag my kid away from me is in for some serious and immediate counseling. Bad call.
Sep 24, 2013, 10:50 PM
Does this mean that all the naysayers are going to stay away next year?
Hey--More room on the flight line for those of us who appreciate the effort it takes to put on an event such as NEAT.

If the event officials get a bit testy I would suggest you try doing it for a while. Most guys and gals are respectful of the rules. But it is inevitable that there will be a number of in the crowd to ruffle anyones feathers. I know--I've been there

Good on you TOM HUNT. You and your guys do a fantastic job.

BM
A NEAT Fair attendff fro 14 years,