Sep 24, 2013, 05:31 PM
got any foam to bash?
Discussion

Official "NEAT" response to Flite-test video

Since the Flite Test guys don't think any NEAT Fair officials would be watching their video on youtube of the 2013 show. I don't think any of them will be reading this rebuttal so this may be a waste of time.

Maybe the Flite-test guys should understand that the NEAT Fair is now 14 years old. We have matured GREATLY in 14 years in both logistics and safety. We have adapted to the very claustrophobic area presented by the Peaceful Valley campsite. NEAT's paramount concern is for the safety of EVERYONE on the field, and our rules (in line with all AMA guidelines) are not available for discussion.

These statements should address many of the statements made in the video. These rules are made plain to all pilots if they bothered to read the documentation, the signs on the field (there, because many do NOT read the rules in their pilot package) or relayed to the pilot as they are about to fly.

Children are not allowed to spot for parents.
Children are not allowed to spot for children.
Children are NOT allowed on the flightline unless they are flying.
The NEAT Fair is NOT the place to train. That is why we do NOT allow buddy boxes.
The Spotter CANNOT be a cameraman. The spotter is to watch ALL the other models in the sky and any foot traffic on the runway..... NOT the pilot's model he is out there with. A cameraman, despite a "wide angle" lens, is NOT watching the things that need to be seen for a safe event.

The MASS warbird launch does relax some of the rules but in a controlled fashion. It is interesting that more models find there way into the pit area during normal show hours than ever have in the mass warbird launch! This is the reason we only allow low-mass models to be flown in the MWL.

We have learned that 3D models do not mix with racetrack pattern models at NEAT. We will NOT cater to the small percentage of flyers that fly 3D. We conceded to give them the first 10 minutes (not 5 minutes they state in the video) of the top of the hour at 10,11am, 2 and 4pm. Even the "fast" guys get one shot to yank and bank 6 at a time.

NEAT is NOT Nall. we do not have the real estate to do things the same way as NALL or SEFF for that matter.

We are what we are and are not likely to change the way we do business. People skills are another matter and I will AGAIN talk to my guys about this issue.

BUT be very clear..... they have NO desire to yell at anyone..... no one on MY team has a god complex. They would not be around long if they did. The only reason they speak up is because they perceive an unsafe situation.

Thanks for listening, though I doubt it will fall on the correct ears.

Tom
Last edited by Tom Hunt; Sep 24, 2013 at 05:55 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 24, 2013, 06:32 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
Well stated Tom.

Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Sep 24, 2013, 06:41 PM
I watched a few videos , and the officials where just plain rude. You don't' demand something you ask, and 9 out 10 people will be more than happy to do it. Not the way I saw. Think it must of been a little man complex.....
Sep 24, 2013, 07:02 PM
Fast and getting faster!
Well stated Tom! You put on a heck of a show!! Since the fateful 2004 NEAT, I have come since and will keep coming. Please dont let stuff like this deter you!!!! See you next year!!!
Sep 24, 2013, 07:04 PM

There is no excuse for that kind of behavior.

The footage of your officials speaks for itself. You treat people badly.

And let me tell you, if one of your boys tried to drag off my six year old son I would immediately drop my transmitter and sort him out.

"Sir, there are no children allowed on the flight line. You're going to have to land your plane now. I'll spot for you."

"OK."

That's how that exchange should go.

You do NOT grab a stranger's kid and drag him off. You do NOT scream at people as step 1.
Sep 24, 2013, 07:11 PM
3d Master in Training
I want to see the video of the officials being innapropriate?
Sep 24, 2013, 07:35 PM
Retardedly intelligent
Flite Test - NEAT Fair 2013 (26 min 52 sec)

here ya go WOW!!! I can't believe you guys could be so rough, a little politeness goes a long way. This is definitely not the way to lure newcomers into the hobby. On another note, the mass warbird launch was anything but "low mass" models. I saw quite a few parkzone T-28's in there. Those types of planes are anything but safe should they mid air and inadvertently hit some one. I was at NEAT a few years back, but if the event now includes screaming and yelling, I'd have to rethink ever coming back.
Last edited by foam and tape; Sep 24, 2013 at 07:41 PM.
Sep 24, 2013, 07:55 PM
The Earth got in the way!
What a waste. Nothing like going to a event or club and feel like you're invited but, not welcome. It's not the first time. Went to a club in WV over the summer too with a buddy and got yelled at before we even put our wings on our planes by some older club members. Drove 4hrs to feel like I just killed their dogs there too....

7:15min "If that plane is not on the ground in 30sec I'm going to stomp on it when it is"! Just one more caught on video disgusting abuse of power.
Hobbyking - NEAT Fair 2013 Day 3. (7 min 44 sec)
Last edited by kuczy; Sep 24, 2013 at 08:04 PM.
Sep 24, 2013, 08:04 PM
3d Master in Training
I saw that Tom guy in the blue jacket yelling at ppl first hand. I didn't even know who he was. He looked like he was going to have a heart attack he was so worked up. Crazyness
Sep 24, 2013, 08:06 PM
3d Master in Training
Edit
Last edited by garrettt04s; Sep 25, 2013 at 08:09 PM.
Sep 24, 2013, 08:07 PM
As an AMA CD I agree with Tom's rules except one. I would drop the max weight of the mass warbird launch because a two pound airplane is too big to be up there with that many airplanes.

Other than than that the rules are simple and straight forward. Fly the pattern except during designated 3D time slots, have a spotter and no kids on the flight line! Sounds like any event held at our flying field.
Sep 24, 2013, 08:25 PM
The Earth got in the way!
The difference is if you yell and scream at people they never forget and don't come back. If you are polite and tell someone to do something they will and most likely forget what you said within minutes.....
Sep 24, 2013, 08:29 PM
Quote:
7:15min "If that plane is not on the ground in 30sec I'm going to stomp on it when it is"! Just one more caught on video disgusting abuse of power
Humor seems to be a lost concept on some folks. Tom was JOKING!

Okay, I'm wrong here--I didn't realize the offenders were refusing to land despite repeated instructions to do so. I guess they felt their air time was more important than letting other folks onto the field.

I agreed with Pete that the larger foamie warbirds (as in the T-28) are a bit large for the event, but I agree with the rest of the NEAT rules.

Regarding a camera person as a spotter: I 'spot' for my wife when she takes in-flight pictures as her vision is restricted by the camera viewfinder. There's no way she could safely spot for a flier and use her camera at the same time. So, the Flite-Test guys who had apparently had a photographer as a spotter deserved to be castigated. Two fliers and one photographer = total lack of safety.

BTW, those two can forget any business from us.

CD
Last edited by Captain Dunsel; Sep 25, 2013 at 05:59 AM.
Sep 24, 2013, 08:30 PM
Fast and getting faster!
Also the stomping issue was I believe a pilot took BACK off after Tom had asked nicely for us all to land and I`m sure wasnt a threat that would have ever been carried out!

Regardless imo (and you can tear me apart at will, I dont care) Toms rules are no different than any other club field, and most of them are AMA rules. May it be that some of the officials may enforce them a little stronger than needed, that is an issue for Tom and his crew, not for anyone to tear apart on a public forum. If you have a problem with Tom or the way his event was run, thats for a private message or email to Tom, not to be put out in a public view. This event is a huge undertaking, and I understand NALL and Seff are as well, but regardless as someone who puts on a large event upstate, there is an HUGE amount of responsiblity on the chair of the event. I dont blame Tom for anything and frankly he puts on a great event.

A great event, that I and MANY of the people on this board enjoy going to, the small percentage of the guys that are trying to put the WHOLE event in a bad light, because of small incidents, that in some cases may have had warranted responses, again I was not there at the time of these so I cant say. If you dont like the way the event is run, dont go, its simple!

Tom, NEAT is one of the BEST events I attend every year. I look forward to it!!!

Already planning my 2014 Neat Fair trip and just so you all know, NEAT for me isnt about just flying, its about the commrade ship, friends I only see maybe once a year, relaxing and enjoying the time with all of my good friends!!!! I have supported this event since 2004 flood year, and will for many years to come.
Sep 24, 2013, 08:31 PM
3d Master in Training
BTW when I seen him yelling he wasn't joking. He was having a conniption fit