Oct 01, 2013, 07:02 PM
Row 0, Seat A
Quote:
Originally Posted by agedflier
Renfield.......I like this statement...While the Icon looks like something Apple would sell and in fact represents one of the coolest real airplanes in general aviation.

I wonder being so "cool" why or if anyone has thought about building a full size one..I have seen something similar that skips over the water but never actually flying.
Not quite the way it works. The model is "modeled" after a full scale LSA.

Icon A-5 - Amphibious Light Sport Aircraft (6 min 41 sec)

Ted
to remove ads between posts
Oct 01, 2013, 10:09 PM
G550Ted..great find....Thats along the lines I was thinking..I wonder how its going these days?
Oct 02, 2013, 07:46 AM
above us only sky
Quote:
Originally Posted by agedflier
G550Ted..great find....Thats along the lines I was thinking..I wonder how its going these days?
You can subscribe to their newsletter, as I do, for regular updates and information. They also offer terrific hats, shirts, drink bottles, etc. to celebrate an amazing LSA.

It's all at iconaircraft.com

Until recently, they were selling preorders for $139K. First delivery is supposed to happen this year. Price has jumped to $189K.

Cheers,
George
Oct 02, 2013, 10:59 AM
Aircraft Development Hobbyking
I can assure you all, the Skipper has none of the problems of the HK Icon, its in fact very hardy. I managed to take mine for a swim at E-week and even after 10+ mins upside down in the water, it still functioned fine. Watch until the very end to see:

Hobbyking - Joe Nall E-Week 2013 Day 4. (10 min 32 sec)

s.
Latest blog entry: My Channel
Oct 02, 2013, 11:01 AM
PSALM 14:1
Stuart--

Any idea how long till the USA warehouse?
Oct 02, 2013, 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy70
Stuart--

Any idea how long till the USA warehouse?
Any idea how long till I get mine...

EMS tracking has been stuck on this since the 27th.

Origin Post is Preparing Shipment

September 27, 2013 , 9:04 pm

Processed Through Sort Facility

SHENZHEN EMS, CHINA

September 27, 2013 , 7:16 pm

Acceptance

CHINA
Oct 02, 2013, 03:45 PM
Living the dream
Two things will be effecting delivery. I think there is some sort of holiday going on in China this week. HK orders are all over the place at the mo as their shippers have stopped accepting lipos which has turned the whole system upside down.

By the way, check out this cool model made by the same crew as the Skipper. Sex on a stick - need at HK Stuart
Oct 02, 2013, 06:56 PM
[QUOTE=KiwiKid;26267166]HK orders are all over the place at the mo as their shippers have stopped accepting lipos which has turned the whole system upside down.

/QUOTE]

That's pretty funny because I was waiting for a plane to order with some lipos. It was nice to see I could combine them with the Skipper. Fingers crossed mine order made it out in time.

I have 4 planes left in flying condition so that should hold me over for a bit.
Oct 02, 2013, 07:49 PM
3 Blades is Better Than 2!
Last time I tried to send a Lipo battery to my bro-in-law a state away a couple months ago, the USPS office told me if the battery is shipped inside a product (ie cell phone, camera, etc) then it is allowed to ship via air without special handling. But, if the battery is shipped loose and not inside a product, it must be marked accordingly and can only ship via ground. I wonder if they are cracking down on these rules now with the distributors.

Kman
Oct 02, 2013, 08:35 PM
Living the dream
This is the text of an e-mail HK sent to a lot of it's customers today:

Dear valued HobbyKing Customer,

RE: Battery Shipping from International Warehouse

Please notice, we have recently been informed by some of our shipping partners that they will no longer be able to ship orders containing lithium based batteries on behalf of HobbyKing from our International Warehouse. As a result, orders placed between 23 September 2013 and 2 October 2013 may have been affected and returned to the International Warehouse.

The shipping options that this will affect are EMS, Singpost, Registered Mail, Air Parcel and China Post.

If your order has been affected, HobbyKing will be upgrading your chosen freight option at no extra cost to you to ensure that you receive your order in a timely fashion.

As a long term solution, HobbyKing will be implementing new shipping suppliers in the following days. Alternatively, we would recommend that you place battery orders through any of our regional warehouses, all of whom have an excellent range of lithium based batteries.

Please note: This will NOT affect orders placed after 2 October 2013.

We at HobbyKing thank you for your continued support and custom and appreciate your patience and understanding in this matter.
Oct 03, 2013, 06:29 AM
I ordered just the plane. I get my batt's from the USA warehouse due to issues in the past with lipos being scrutinized and taking longer. Still no update on the tracking since the 27th.

I shot customer service a request for an update and it was not answered. I guess I'll wait to see if next week people come back on-line.
Oct 03, 2013, 11:23 AM
Fly, crash, glue. Repeat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatirdr View Post
I ordered just the plane. I get my batt's from the USA warehouse due to issues in the past with lipos being scrutinized and taking longer.
Same here. Ships much faster, too.

Quote:
Still no update on the tracking since the 27th.
Also the same, since the 29th. But then the plane is marked as "takes 3-5 additional days to ship" so no need to panic yet.
Oct 04, 2013, 06:49 AM
Couldn't wait for it to be in usa. Ordered ems express to usa. Do not know how long that takes, as I have always ordered with cheepest. Only other option was singpost. Made 2 orders first of sept. Sing post held both ordere for 23 days then returned to sender. Hk said they had a problem with a shipper, still waiting.
anyway, I have a polaris, flys great, and a seadart, maidening this weekend. Birthday is the 22nd. Hope to receive this by then. Great bd present from wife.
Oct 04, 2013, 09:00 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
I ordered mine the other day. I need a fun flyer for Longham Reservoir and don't want to spend any time building.

I saw one of the Joysway versions fly not long ago, and quite a few of the original Polaris depron builds. All credit to Laddie Mikulasko and JetSet44 for their design genius. I wonder if they get any recognition at all from Hobby King for what is so obviously a copy of their design?
Last edited by Sopwith Mike; Oct 04, 2013 at 04:12 PM. Reason: spelling (again)
Oct 04, 2013, 03:49 PM
Fly, crash, glue. Repeat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sopwith Mike View Post
All credit to Laddie Mikulasko and JetSet44 for their design genius. I wonder if they get any recognition at all from Hobby King for what is so obviously a copy of their design?
I plan to put a "Thanks Laddie & Steve" sticker on mine.

Quick Reply