Nov 20, 2014, 02:11 AM
Simple, Easy, Fun
Quote:
Originally Posted by KraftyOne
Just stumbled across this thread, nice to know I'm not the only one recycling good old radios. My club mates think I'm a bit crazy.
If you think your club mates think you're crazy now, just wait to see what they'll think when you show up with a converted car (surface) radio.

See this thread for more. It's all briefly explained in a series of 17 posts on the first 4 pages:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2287066

Cheers,
Gabe
to remove ads between posts
Nov 20, 2014, 03:09 AM
Slow builder
Thread OP
Very nice,
I met a guy briefly at this years Manilla Slope Fest who had the attached Kraft radios. Unfortunately his name escapes me.
That wasn't you was it?

I love these old things & I'm currently trying to find a beater now to fix up.

Al

Quote:
Just stumbled across this thread, nice to know I'm not the only one recycling good old radios. My club mates think I'm a bit crazy.

I have been flying my "Kraft-Assan" KP-3SS for a couple of months now. I was flying the 1/2A Lightning Bug with my KP-7C Tx, but it felt a bit heavy and clumsy for a little model, so I hacked my old 1973 KP3 Tx into use after it had been sitting on the shelf for 35 years.

Still using the original Kraft logic board, an Assan DIY module, and a couple of Li-ion cells from an old laptop pack powers it up. The Assan Rx is hidden a Kraft case, and the servos are original KPS-18 minis from the mid 70s'. $65 each at that time, a pair of them would cost you an average weeks wages. How things have changed.

Cheers, EGB.
Nov 20, 2014, 03:11 AM
Slow builder
Thread OP
I was reading through this a few days ago.
interesting project. I'd be keen to see how it feels during prolonged flights.

Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe_BigApple
If you think your club mates think you're crazy now, just wait to see what they'll think when you show up with a converted car (surface) radio.

See this thread for more. It's all briefly explained in a series of 17 posts on the first 4 pages:

Cheers,
Gabe
Nov 20, 2014, 03:26 AM
Simple, Easy, Fun
Quote:
Originally Posted by _AL_
I was reading through this a few days ago.
interesting project. I'd be keen to see how it feels during prolonged flights.
I don't do thermal duration, but I have spent a few hours at a time with it on a flight sim and it feels great (IMHO).

Gabe
Nov 20, 2014, 04:57 AM
My 1st R/C had 2 valves !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe_BigApple

Cheers,
Gabe
Interesting stuff Gab, when I saw your reply I grabbed one of my old wheel Txs' from the shed, (I spent most of the 80s' racing cars and buggies), and yes, I can see how it would work. I'll be watching with interest.

I don't think I'm going to be that adventurous. I'm very familiar and comfortable with the std. SS layout, and the Kraft cases are quite compact and easy to hold. At one time I did tinker with a PC games joystick, but could not get comfortable with it. Maybe because I've been using std. SS for 40+ years. (Old dog, no new tricks?).

Also, I still have 2 more Kraft SS boxes to hack. Next is a Series '80 7CS, which will have the board (& connectors, wiring and whatever else I can use ) from a Turnigy 9XR that I have just bought cheap off ebay. The Tx that I have been using for the last couple of years is my 1973 KP-5S with a Spectrum DX7 "guts". The DX7 was given to me by a clubmate when the RF died. Since these photos were taken the conversion has been completed with a FrSky DIY 2.4Ghz module. (see my avitar).

Cheers, EGB.
Nov 20, 2014, 07:51 AM
Simple, Easy, Fun
Quote:
Interesting stuff Gabe, when I saw your reply I grabbed one of my old wheel Txs' from the shed, (I spent most of the 80s' racing cars and buggies), and yes, I can see how it would work. I'll be watching with interest.
Another cool thing about a modified steering wheel radio is that if you have buddies who are car or boat drivers, but who are freaked out by the thought of flying a small plane or an mCX heli with a box-with-2-sticks radio, they will feel much happier with a pistol-grip / 3X setup.

Quote:
Kraft cases are quite compact and easy to hold. At one time I did tinker with a PC games joystick, but could not get comfortable with it. Maybe because I've been using std. SS for 40+ years. (Old dog, no new tricks?).
No problem. As they say, necessity is the mother of invention. If I had had one of these, I would probably have dropped a 2.4 radio in there and left it at that.

Since I didn't have one .... well .... you see what happened ...

Cheers,
Gabe

Quick Reply