Oct 08, 2013, 12:59 PM
Who let the dogs out?
... sorted by PM
Last edited by Phil_G; Oct 09, 2013 at 04:29 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 10, 2013, 10:15 AM
RC beginner

ergo-tx

question: is it possible to get any mini-er or single-stick-er than this?
Oct 10, 2013, 02:35 PM
Who let the dogs out?
Thats enormous Dave, if you want tiny, have you seen the Deltang stuff?
http://www.deltang.co.uk/tx1.htm
Cheers
Phil
Oct 10, 2013, 03:11 PM
RC beginner
ooooooh... yeaaaaaaaah.... check those threads youll see i was following theunissons efforts, esc and rx, right from the start. way too expensive for my taste (translation: wish that was my idea instead of this cheapo diy flysky junk).

btw i cant take credit for anything in that photo:

the whole nunchuck idea belongs to brilliant and higly unappreciated genius fmkt: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...fmkit+nunchuck

encoder is patolins creation. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1817699

rf module is midelics. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1921870

ive done many many different versions. almost every color of the rainbow too. some using my own code from "worlds smallest radio" project (note to self gotta follow through with my promise for diy thread on that). the one in that pic is a result of hard work, just not yours truly. except for the soldering but that was a cinch compared to most of what i do.

ps im glad to see the world is starting to wake up to the benefits of small, simple, ergonomic radios. its unfortunate most still being brainwashed into lugging around those huge, clumsy, mostrosities most everybody loves. really funny watching local guys fly 3ch $10 foamies at the nearby soccer field with $1000 futabas. one arm is longer than the other from carrying them around.
Oct 10, 2013, 07:46 PM
dave,
so it is yours or not the nunchuck ergo-tx?
Nice I saw one guy ...don't remember where ...was lifting one jar(quad) using one nunchuck tx.
Oct 11, 2013, 12:18 PM
RC beginner
thanks and yes they are mine. i built of bunch of them for myself and friends. most of them used my "worlds smallest radio" chip (t24) which interfaces directly to the suntek board. i tried a couple with t25. but the one in that pic was a two mcu design with your 7105 rf module code in m8 and patolins m328. theres also versions using 24l01, cc2500, rfm22b, and even one with turnigy 9x module bolted to the nose for super long range.

this has become my goto platform for testing various tx projects because its so easy to swap out subassemblies. i got a couple with serial brought out too for on-the-fly debugging.

i really thought the smaller stick would have less control than a full size radio but was surprised to see this was not the case. last year i tried one of fmkits units that a friend owns which uses the wii gyro for control but was not impressed. mine use only the pots and switches instead which dont allow as many channels but feel better to me. im going to do a gyro version myself and see if it just takes getting used to. either way, fmkit may be a little shady, but definitely one fart smellow.
Oct 11, 2013, 12:52 PM
How many channels you have on one of this .How are the controls...?I confess idk how this is working with one stick.
Oct 11, 2013, 08:57 PM
How you program it ? Sometimes(for small quads) you need dualrate or expo.
I see you use two chips.
Maybe you can move patolin code and mine on one single chip M328.
You see I gave you a good idea.
Last edited by midelic; Oct 11, 2013 at 09:03 PM.
Oct 14, 2013, 08:43 AM
RC beginner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1993
most of them use my "worlds smallest radio" chip (t24) which interfaces directly to the suntek board.
so maybe good idea for the tarduinos but not for me. my goal is very simple very small radio. those projects are a bit too big and complicated for that. imo its better to integrate the rf chip into er9x if you want to go powerful and flexible. bare gcc is a better toolset than arduino imo. i never did like hacking my way through other peoples code. ill leave that to the bulldog.
Oct 17, 2013, 07:03 AM
RC beginner
Quote:
Originally Posted by midelic
How many channels you have on one of this .How are the controls...?I confess idk how this is working with one stick.
the one in the photo has only 3 channels because it uses the "midelic/patolin" system. er9x version also 3ch. more than enough for most of the flying i do. programming is via eeprom bytes but since i prefer to trim the model itself its rare to change anything there. buttons are for throttle up/dn and need a cap and 2 resistors to work with those firmwares. for my own firmware ive implemented a system which vaguely resembles fmkits. surprisingly, although it takes a little getting used to, the buttons allow even more responsive and intuitive control than conventional stick.

for quads my blue ergo-tx actually has another pot added on the left front allowing more conventional control of throttle. the buttons are now reserved for ch4 and ch5. if i switch to using the gyro that comes with the nunchuck then there would be 8 channels total. however im not quite sure about this wrist nodding and twisting stuff yet.
Oct 24, 2013, 11:27 AM
dave
I want to clarify something.Did you have a range test using my code...with XL7105 chip?
How many meters working with this setup?
Oct 24, 2013, 12:36 PM
RC beginner
as can be seen in that pic the 7105 module used with your code was a suntek. range was about 2-3 meters which was more than enough for my indoor tests. there were also some instability issues. but i wasnt sure if it was bugs in midelic or patolin code, my wiring, or the fact that my finger was very close to the suntek antenna. it didnt matter too much because im more interested in checking out various types of encoders and rf modules in the nunchuck.

as expected range was more than 1 mile with the turnigy rf module but a different encoder was being used there too so idk. anyway i was happy any of these worked at all.
Oct 29, 2013, 05:57 AM
Slow builder
Thread OP
I just wanted to say a huge thanks to Phil_G.
I am the proud owner of one of his 2+1 encoders & after a couple of hours tinkering (it was a snap to set up) I now have an operating 2+1 TX running through an OrangeRx module.
Thanks mate. You're a champion.

Now I just need to build a case for it.
I could use a cheap electronics store case but I want it to look a bit retro so planning to fold up an aluminium case somewhat like the attached pics.

I'll post some pics once it's done.

Al
Oct 31, 2013, 03:33 AM
Slow builder
Thread OP
Slow progress but progress none the less.
Pic 1 Cardboard template cut. Note my 2 year old's assistance..... 150mm (6") high, 80mm (3 1/4") wide & 50mm (2") deep.

Pic 2 measured out for the gimbal & trim tabs.
Pic 3 with the components sitting inside. Note to self, adjust the elevator trim cut by 1mm out.
I've overestimated the room needed for depth so will narrow it down by 10mm.

Hopefully I'll cut out the 1.2mm aluminium this weekend & start folding.

Al
Oct 31, 2013, 05:09 AM
Slow builder
Thread OP
Cut down to 40mm deep. Still plenty of room for everything & a 500mah 2s Lipo.
I think I'll move the gimbal down a bit. It looks a bit high. It'll also give me more room for the on/ off switch & possibly the throttle button.

Al

Quick Reply