Sep 20, 2013, 01:41 AM
Re-kitting Expert
Thread OP
Discussion

Top Flite SE5a

A few weeks ago I was given a TF SE5a kit (early 70's first edition) that I would like to convert to electric power. This is a true scale kit using an undercambered airfoil (RAF 15) and calling for .45 to .60 glow power. Built weight (minus power system) should be around 5 to 6 pounds. The model has a 53" wingspan and can handle up to a 15" prop with ease. I'd like to use an appropriately scale prop if possible, such as the Xoar Scimitar series.

What I need is help determining what power setup to use. I'd like this to fly in a scale manner suitable to a WWI biplane. I don't want it to do 3D or a full aeeobatic routine, nor am I looking for screaming fast passes 3" off the deck. Scale aerobatics (Immelmann turns, split-s, stall turns, loops) and other flight characteristics appropriate to a late-WWI fighter are what I'm after.

I've always flown glow powered models and have only the most rudimentary knowledge of modern brushless motors and associated electronics. I do have two electric models, an E-Flite Apprentice and Minimoa powered glider but know only enough to safely deal with their LiPo batteries. Beyond that I'm lost.

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by Tarasdad; Sep 20, 2013 at 01:45 AM. Reason: Added specs
to remove ads between posts
Sep 20, 2013, 06:17 AM
Have a look here.
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store..._46_Glow_.html

Get your self a 60 Amp ESC to match and a 4 cell Lipo...

Easy peasy.

I have that Kit too (later edition)... but I'll be putting a .61 Four Stroke in mine.

Good luck! Hope to watch your build here.

Hugh

Quick Reply