Dec 04, 2013, 11:12 AM
The YEP/YGE controllers have a low voltage cutoff choice "off". I use it always.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 04, 2013, 06:32 PM
Banzai Institute
Question Tom. Using the off setting like that (I always do the same) does that not eliminate the problem of a resistor screwing up the cell count at power up? The cell count is only used for LVC am I correct? I can see an application for this controller in my future and it will need caps also. If not using LVC does it still make the resistor choice critical? Thanks for the help.

Dean
Dec 04, 2013, 06:36 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckaroo
Question Tom. Using the off setting like that (I always do the same) does that not eliminate the problem of a resistor screwing up the cell count at power up? The cell count is only used for LVC am I correct? I can see an application for this controller in my future and it will need caps also. If not using LVC does it still make the resistor choice critical? Thanks for the help.

Dean
No, two things started getting discussed at the same time. The LVC has nothing to do with the anti spark arrestor.
Dec 04, 2013, 06:40 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4stripes
I'm using the YEP on 9S and there is no spark when connecting the battery(s). Really like the built in spark arrestor.
Has anyone experienced slight uncommanded power changes at about 1/4 throttle? Otherwise mine is working normally.
Is yours double beeping while powered up? If so, that would be your problem with the throttle. I wouldn't get throttle response even after putting in new batteries because the ESC was storing a LVC code in its memory. I had to clear the memory and then it started working properly again.
Dec 04, 2013, 06:42 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJE4357
The Esprit connectors will work, but you can make your own if you can solder. Now for the resistor size, this is the hard one. The larger the resistance, the lower the peak current. Problem is, the ESC has a time window it look at to see how many cells there, bassed on voltage. The resistor allows the voltage to rise in a exponential manor. If the ESC sencing window is to short you will get false number of cells. Basically, the smaller the resistor, the higher the peak current ( this is what were trying to avoid in the first place), but the faster the charge time. The larger resistance, the lower the peak current, but the longer charge time. I would start with a 10 OHM 25 Watt resistor. Thats only a 5 A peak on a 12S battery. It will take about ( .045 sec. ) 45 milliseconds. to charge. Is the enough for the ESC window ? If the YEP was made here, you can find our by calling the manfufacture. Since its made in ( RiceLand ), GOOD( insert what letter you want)UCK. The only other option is, if the auto cell detect circuit can be turned off, and manually insert the number of cells.

My 2 cents worth
Larry E.
Thanks Larry, I'll head down to RadioShack tomorrow and pick up some different OHM resistors. Soldering is not a problem....
Dec 04, 2013, 09:35 PM
Banzai Institute
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylineFlyer
The LVC has nothing to do with the anti spark arrestor.

Yes I am aware of that but if you do not use LVC then you do not need to worry about a resister screwing up the cell count on power up. That is what I was asking.

Dean
Dec 04, 2013, 10:01 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckaroo
Yes I am aware of that but if you do not use LVC then you do not need to worry about a resister screwing up the cell count on power up. That is what I was asking.

Dean

Sorry, it must of been the way you worded your question.
Dec 04, 2013, 10:08 PM
So for clarity if the LVC is turned off, does the anti-spark feature still work and does it work with a 12s set up?
Dec 04, 2013, 10:36 PM
Closed Account
Quote:
Thanks Larry, I'll head down to RadioShack tomorrow and pick up some different OHM resistors. Soldering is not a problem....
I don't think RadioShack carries 25W resistors. But you can order them from DigiKey here on line.
Dec 04, 2013, 10:49 PM
Foam addict
Quote:
Is yours double beeping while powered up? If so, that would be your problem with the throttle. I wouldn't get throttle response even after putting in new batteries because the ESC was storing a LVC code in its memory. I had to clear the memory and then it started working properly again.
No unusual or extra warning beeps.

The ESC works fine in all respects except I notice slight throttle fluctuations sometimes around 1/4 throttle in the air. I'm beginning to think it has something to do with the "freewheeling" setting as the fan goes from unloaded to having some load.
Dec 04, 2013, 11:01 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJE4357
I don't think RadioShack carries 25W resistors. But you can order them from DigiKey here on line.
DigiKey it is then. Thanks!
Dec 04, 2013, 11:02 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4stripes
No unusual or extra warning beeps.

The ESC works fine in all respects except I notice slight throttle fluctuations sometimes around 1/4 throttle in the air. I'm beginning to think it has something to do with the "freewheeling" setting as the fan goes from unloaded to having some load.
Hmm, I'm not having any throttle response issues now. I hope you get it figured out.
Dec 04, 2013, 11:27 PM
Foam addict
Have a question slightly off topic...
Ran my new YEP 100a LV ESC today and found the caps seem to run quite hot (even when exposed to full duct airflow). No extra battery wire length added, running in the 95a range on 6S.
Is it normal for the caps to run hot on the YEP LV ESC's (as my HV doesn't)?
Dec 04, 2013, 11:45 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Don't know, but my 120hv esc's caps run hot.
Dec 05, 2013, 09:38 PM
Banzai Institute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt599
So for clarity if the LVC is turned off, does the anti-spark feature still work and does it work with a 12s set up?

The anti-spark feature will not work with extra caps installed. The in-line resister will be needed to handle that. I am pretty sure though if you disable LVC you will not have to worry about the wrong resister screwing up the cell count. The cell count is only used to govern the LVC settings. I never use LVC. I try to learn the system and then use a timer. If a controller doesn't give you the option to disable LVC than I will not buy it. I would much rather trash a battery than lose the airplane.

Dean

Quick Reply