Nov 15, 2013, 09:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom bacsanyi
I disable the low voltage cut off. With the high currents we are running, you can get a LVC with a charged battery that is too cool or a little tired. ...
+1 plane over packs
to remove ads between posts
Nov 15, 2013, 10:05 AM
Hawk Fanatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom bacsanyi
I disable the low voltage cut off. With the high currents we are running, you can get a LVC with a charged battery that is too cool or a little tired. It always happens at the wrong time I'd rather wreck a battery than total a whole plane. On a wintery day last year I made a low and slow pass early in the flight and on the full throttle it cut out and being short of airspeed altitude and runway...... I ordered another Falcon 120 for an "easy" fix
Thanks for the suggestion. I honestly never thought about that and your words couldn't be any truer. Plane over packs. I ordered a program card, so I'll get the LVC turned off. I'll need to rely more on my timer more than ever before.
Dec 03, 2013, 09:56 PM
Hawk Fanatic

Stock Anti Spark doesn't work WHEN

you use a CAP Pack in front of the ESC.

So it was suggested that I get a CAP Pack like the one Castle Creations sells because of the length of my leads from the ESC to my lipo packs. I really liked this ESC because it had the anti spark built in, but it makes sense really that I am now getting a huge spark, right? I mean, I'm charging the capacitors before the power reaches the ESC so that's whats causing the spark I assume. Can anyone vouch for this?
Dec 03, 2013, 11:26 PM
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylineFlyer
you use a CAP Pack in front of the ESC.

So it was suggested that I get a CAP Pack like the one Castle Creations sells because of the length of my leads from the ESC to my lipo packs. I really liked this ESC because it had the anti spark built in, but it makes sense really that I am now getting a huge spark, right? I mean, I'm charging the capacitors before the power reaches the ESC so that's whats causing the spark I assume. Can anyone vouch for this?
Thats exactly whats happening. You can make your own anti spark circuit just by simply hooking a small value resistor in series with the battery, then jumpering it with your main connector. Just have to make sure that the resistor isn't to big in resistance or it will fool the ESC as to how many cells there really are. Also, the resistor has to be about 25 Watts to handle the surge.
Dec 03, 2013, 11:46 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJE4357
Thats exactly whats happening. You can make your own anti spark circuit just by simply hooking a small value resistor in series with the battery, then jumpering it with your main connector. Just have to make sure that the resistor isn't to big in resistance or it will fool the ESC as to how many cells there really are. Also, the resistor has to be about 25 Watts to handle the surge.
Local Radio Shack? Can you recommend a proper resistor?
Dec 04, 2013, 12:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylineFlyer
Local Radio Shack? Can you recommend a proper resistor?
7mm AX150 Anti Spark Self Insulating Gold Bullet Connector (2 Pairs)

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=42825

Dec 04, 2013, 12:17 AM
Do it Right, the first time!
Thread OP
I came across this some time back, but don't know if its of any use? I save too much stuff!

http://www.espritmodel.com/jeti-afc-...-5mm-150a.aspx

Jeti AFC Anti-Spark Connectors 5.5mm (150A)
Dec 04, 2013, 12:30 AM
Hawk Fanatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolerByTheLake
I came across this some time back, but don't know if its of any use? I save too much stuff!

http://www.espritmodel.com/jeti-afc-...-5mm-150a.aspx

Jeti AFC Anti-Spark Connectors 5.5mm (150A)
Once again, to my rescue. My walking encyclopedia friend.
Dec 04, 2013, 01:20 AM
Do it Right, the first time!
Thread OP
SkylineFlyer, You can't believe how much "stuff" I have saved in my favorites folders!

Just thought that if you wanted them faster Esprit Model would be faster. Little difference in price.

"My walking encyclopedia friend "

More like a library.
Dec 04, 2013, 07:29 AM
Closed Account
The Esprit connectors will work, but you can make your own if you can solder. Now for the resistor size, this is the hard one. The larger the resistance, the lower the peak current. Problem is, the ESC has a time window it look at to see how many cells there, bassed on voltage. The resistor allows the voltage to rise in a exponential manor. If the ESC sencing window is to short you will get false number of cells. Basically, the smaller the resistor, the higher the peak current ( this is what were trying to avoid in the first place), but the faster the charge time. The larger resistance, the lower the peak current, but the longer charge time. I would start with a 10 OHM 25 Watt resistor. Thats only a 5 A peak on a 12S battery. It will take about ( .045 sec. ) 45 milliseconds. to charge. Is the enough for the ESC window ? If the YEP was made here, you can find our by calling the manfufacture. Since its made in ( RiceLand ), GOOD( insert what letter you want)UCK. The only other option is, if the auto cell detect circuit can be turned off, and manually insert the number of cells.

My 2 cents worth
Larry E.
Dec 04, 2013, 07:33 AM
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by erh7771
7mm AX150 Anti Spark Self Insulating Gold Bullet Connector (2 Pairs)

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=42825

Those connectors will not eliminate the spark, just hide it.
Dec 04, 2013, 07:36 AM
Foam addict
I'm using the YEP on 9S and there is no spark when connecting the battery(s). Really like the built in spark arrestor.
Has anyone experienced slight uncommanded power changes at about 1/4 throttle? Otherwise mine is working normally.
Dec 04, 2013, 07:38 AM
Closed Account
The anti-spark work great as long as you don't add more caps. I haven't seen that problem at any throttle setting.
Dec 04, 2013, 10:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJE4357
Those connectors will not eliminate the spark, just hide it.
They have a resister in the front that keeps it from sparking all together just like they espirits, I ordered them and they're the same as the esprit but 7mm vs 8mm
Dec 04, 2013, 11:02 AM
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by erh7771
They have a resister in the front that keeps it from sparking all together just like they espirits, I ordered them and they're the same as the esprit but 7mm vs 8mm
I just looked closer at the pic, your right. Probably not a bad way to go, especially if you cann't solder. The only issue i have had with barrel connectors, they seem to have a higher contact resistance than the Deans do, after being used for some time. Over 150 A. Can the LVC be deactived in the YEP?

Larry E.

Quick Reply