Sep 23, 2013, 10:21 PM
Can you feel the slippery slope? Balsa pod, then you will be making a lost foam composite fuselage, then you will be bagging your own wings, then it will become a DLG just like the big boys... There are a number of other threads over the past several years that went the same way, with some incredible machines being produced. I know, I own one of them made by a one-time experimenter. It may not be a Stobel, but I can launch it as hard as I can, and fly it like it was meant to be flown.

I'm following you now, because someday I'll probably be buying parts from you too.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 24, 2013, 08:00 PM
Thread OP
Thanks that's too kind. I will start the balsa pod tonight. I also found some synthetic cloth and it got me thinking. Can other material be used for fiber glassing like old tent material?
Sep 24, 2013, 09:07 PM
It's time for me to fly
I have heard of light ripstop nylon being applied with water-based polyurethane. Not the same properties as glass, but should make the wing tougher and probably somewhat stiffer. Worth a try!
Sep 28, 2013, 07:20 PM
Thread OP
Name: V216.jpg
Views: 401
Size: 232.9 KB
Description:
Name: V217.jpg
Views: 406
Size: 225.3 KB
Description:

Much better with new balsa pod and tail set

Flight video coming soon
Sep 28, 2013, 07:55 PM
Hay Oozy That is looking very good. i think you have the design perfected now. i am looking forward to a flight video . i was experimenting today with 3 mil laminating film bonded to a wing i hot wired this mourning, it really stiffened the wing up an only added an ounce to a 48 inch wing . seems at lot easier than fiberglassing a skin on . any way i am impressed with your work
Sep 29, 2013, 07:13 PM
Thread OP
IMG 0251 (0 min 24 sec)

IMG 0252 (0 min 26 sec)

Much better, time to learn bagging with a bag I found at the dollar store

Name: image.jpg
Views: 363
Size: 188.9 KB
Description:
Last edited by OozyToast; Sep 29, 2013 at 08:23 PM.
Sep 29, 2013, 09:55 PM
skumgummi dave
Oozy:

Way to go man!
Sep 29, 2013, 10:30 PM
Great video. seems like you are eager to learn new methods of building, i would also love to learn how to glass tail surfaces and wing skins in a vac bag, i have watched lots of videos but the process is still a mental road block for me . i bet that you can master it though.
Sep 30, 2013, 06:04 AM
Thread OP
Hey Larry, I think I get the bagging part and will post an easy version but I can't get my foam cutter to work. I made a bow with electric guitar string and hooked up a 16 v hobby train speed control. It has both ac and dc out but the power supply gets hot and the wire stays cool. I will try a new power supply as it was used and might be burnt out.
Sep 30, 2013, 08:08 AM
Oozy i also use a train transformer but it must be an old vintage one, the modern ones have some kind of short circuit switch that switches itself also and be sure to only use DC , I also have a Manual sears diehard battery charger that works. my bow is a simple dowel rod that is easy to bend and control. i found this method works for me. also nichrome wire works best..cheers
Sep 30, 2013, 10:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryg
Oozy i also use a train transformer but it must be an old vintage one, the modern ones have some kind of short circuit switch that switches itself also and be sure to only use DC , I also have a Manual sears diehard battery charger that works. my bow is a simple dowel rod that is easy to bend and control. i found this method works for me. also nichrome wire works best..cheers
I thought stainless steel fishing wire was "the best" ...?
Sep 30, 2013, 06:19 PM
It is! Durable and doesn't stretch near as much.. resulting in smoother cuts :-)
Do need a reasonable PS though. Nichrome takes less power to get hot
Sep 30, 2013, 09:20 PM
Hay Oozy ,i read a neat how to on Wax paper bagging Dlg Tail surfaces, i am going to test it out tomorrow on a test piece , i will use Poly in lue of epoxy give it a read ,sounds simple and easy, cheers
Jan 02, 2014, 01:38 PM

another dlg build

hello,

I also build a dlg glider. I did not wanted to use carbon fiber, so i used kaft paper.
(lot's more rigid than tape).
you can find picture of the construction here :

http://www.rcch.free.fr/spip.php?article9

tails are made with 1.5mm balsa + kraft paper
wings are cut with hot wire + carbon renforcement + paper. they are very rigid
i use a mix of 50% wood (white) glue + 50% water to glue the paper to the foam.
ailleron are balsa since the one made with foam where to weak.
pod is balsa and 1mm polywood. it is very robust.
boom is a 6mm carbon square tube
cost of component should be around 20

final weight is about 320g RTF, for 1.5m span
i could have gain a bit by :
- having a lighter pod (less robust)
- ussing better and lighter servos
- use pull rod better than a push/pull carbon tube for the tail

but the use of kraft paper is heavy (70g/m2 + glue) anyhow.

i'm new to rcgroups (it's my 1st post): I would probably have made things different if i had read this thread earlier.

anyhow, i'm quite happy with the result : it's my 1st glider, i still have to learn how to fly!

i'll post video this summer!

best
rcch
Jan 02, 2014, 04:35 PM
Just here for the pie.
Looks like a nice ship OozyToast. Good job. I look forward to seeing what it evolves into.

I built what I called a modular glider platform earlier this year (https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1894401), though I primarily use it for DLG.

I'm now building a 1m dedicated DLG ship with an aileron wing and full airfoil (AG455ct) loosely based on the Fireworks 5. I've added balsa to the mix and intend on doing a pull string/spring setup for rudder and elevator. All this is in preparation for a step up to a 1.5m ship once I get launch and thermal seek to an acceptable skill level.

Cheers!
Randall

Quick Reply