Sep 21, 2013, 03:59 PM
Thread OP
I just brushed on the poly with no cloth, now I'm trying to decide if a few coats of poly will be strong enough or if I need packing tape or something more.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 21, 2013, 04:15 PM
keep the up dates coming ok i my go for a road trip tomorrow on a foam board quest lol . i appreciate your work and effort .
Sep 21, 2013, 04:45 PM

Cool Thread!

Hey, I'm more of a "woody" guy than foam but this is pretty cool stuff indeed! I may have to try building something this size with foam sometime. I like the "build it instead of buy it" approach.

Thanks for starting this thread- Paul
Sep 21, 2013, 08:48 PM
Thread OP
Here is the fuse beginnings with and aluminum arrow shaft that weighs in at 24 grams. I hope the arrow shaft isn't too hevey I thought it was carbon when I bought it. It had carbon in the name and was misleading.

Name: V29.jpg
Views: 379
Size: 223.4 KB
Description:
Sep 21, 2013, 09:14 PM
It's time for me to fly
There are some arrows that are very thin carbon over an Alu shaft. Maybe that's what you have? Any sporting goods store that sells archery gear should have carbon arrow shafts.

I think my WalMart arrow shafts run 17 - 19 grams, but I'm away, can't weigh one now.
Sep 21, 2013, 10:49 PM
Thread OP
Name: V210.jpg
Views: 344
Size: 250.3 KB
Description:

Poly on the tail set
Should be ready to fly tomorrow
Sep 21, 2013, 11:08 PM
Oozy, i know you said you brushed on some poly to help stiffen up the foam, one other thing came to mind is that you can heat temper the foam with a hot air gun. just a after thought
Sep 22, 2013, 07:43 AM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Oozy,

Where are you in TO?
I have a much better tailboom if you want one.
17 gram SuperGee style from Atlanta hobbies.
PM me.

Pat MacKenzie
Sep 22, 2013, 08:14 AM
Thread OP
That would be amazing pm sent

In the mean time I'm joining the wings

Name: V211.jpg
Views: 415
Size: 211.6 KB
Description: Joining the wings with epoxy
Sep 22, 2013, 09:25 AM
Thermal Fisherman.
Oozy,

It is getting very good, congratulations and keep up the work.

I want to see the video of the V2.

Alexandre

Brasil
Sep 22, 2013, 10:52 AM
Thread OP
Name: V212.jpg
Views: 243
Size: 179.2 KB
Description: Hinge and carbon epoxy

Epoxying in some carbon strips and cut the control surfaces

And I might have a donation that will take this build to the next level

Sep 22, 2013, 12:15 PM
Thread OP
Name: V213.jpg
Views: 428
Size: 188.4 KB
Description:

Ok so thanks to Pat I'm going to be scared to launch this thing. It is getting a hugely upgraded boom and pod. Now I'm getting excited
Sep 22, 2013, 12:48 PM
Thread OP
Ok I changed my mind, I will save Pat's carbon boom for v3. This is for two reasons, the being I need to learn the controls of a flaperons and will likely crash doing so. The second reason is I feel these wings do not deserve this pod and with v3 I will take much more time and care.

Hope that's ok with you Pat, don't worry I will be putting the boom to good use soon
Sep 22, 2013, 01:10 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
That's fine with me.

A couple of good sites with build info and other details you might be interested in:

Taboo GT build instructions, for when you get around to using the pod and boom:
http://www.olgol.com/TabooGT/build1.html

SuperGee plans, since you said you had designed your wing planform by looking at pictures of other DLGs
http://www.charlesriverrc.org/articl...SuperGeeII.htm

If you need any help down the road, don't hesitate to contact me.

Pat
Sep 22, 2013, 01:23 PM
Thermal Fisherman.
Pat,

Congratulations on the initiative.

Oozy,

Here in Brazil is very hard to find lightweight fiberglass, I found a way to build a set of tail light and resistant, the vertical stabilizer was cut that way.

Quick Reply