Sep 18, 2013, 12:16 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Alexandre, this is great stuff can you tell us which design out of the images you showed us worked the best?

Cheers

Oozy
to remove ads between posts
Sep 18, 2013, 12:37 PM
Wow Alexandre , great gliders there in your photos, I am sure you have learn thru trial and error what works best. i only have a small field here where i live and lots of trees so no need for a high end Dlg for me. what i can build is fine for my needs, the few Dlg s i have made so far all used carbon push rods running back to the tail surfaces so i could use some advise on how use spring with a pull string to the servos. i can see where foam board will work for wings if you can get close to a better Dlg air foil , any way this is an awesome tread lets keep it going
Sep 18, 2013, 02:28 PM
*Full Disclosure* Im a Gorilla

Foamboard DLG

I've built some of "Flight Test's" models and I can honestly say that I ran one of those things into the ground at over 100 MPH and the wing had a slight crease in it!! I can upload pics if need be. Its amazing how strong those foamboard foam spar wings can be. Keep in ming that my wing was the wombat and it was at most 36in. A 60" wing could prove to be less rigid but Im excited to give it a try!! Ive been waiting to hear of someone trying this with marginal success. Keep it going!!
Sep 18, 2013, 05:18 PM
wrong descision, wrong time
For the next build, I'd strongly suggest removing the paper from the foam. It will save quite a bit of weight. If you need the strength, use light weight packing tape in strategic locations to add strength. Could probably leave the paper on the spar for strength. It would also be good to thin things out. Thin the airfoil out by shaping the leading and trailing edge. Also thin the tail feathers out. This will get you better launch height using the same launch power.

I'm interested in seeing if this design evolves. Would be cool to have a loaner DLG for friends and family

Heath
Sep 18, 2013, 06:25 PM
Thermal Fisherman.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OozyToast
Thanks Alexandre, this is great stuff can you tell us which design out of the images you showed us worked the best?

Cheers

Oozy
Oozy,

Only the first DLG KFM2 not achieved good time to launch, due to the small tail moment.

All other fly satisfactorily to the project proposal, which was something quick and cheap to build.

Fly wing DLG has durability, due to not having the stress of the tail at launch.

If cover with tape, a flying wing is always the best option. Build many wings for discus and javelin, lightweight build, will get thermalized easy.

If you want to take a look at my youtube channel, you will see some videos of my experiments at low cost. >> www.youtube.com/user/AlexandreBassPlayer/videos

If you want a durable dlg, build a wing in the style alula, or inspired in Chinook, Boomer EX2, Red Herring, Crossbow DLG Pro Weasel, Liftworx Micro, etc .... Fly cool with any profile (kfm2, kfm4, pw1211)

If you want to build something with a tail, make a clone of ELF (Apogee) DLG ... Make 1000mm wingspan, 2ch, with a maximum weight of 120g RTF.

Thus, if a glider that can last about 40 hours without breaking the wing.

This topic can be of great inspiration to you, is an ELF with KFM wing of Depron.

Experiments with KFm airfoil on 'Elf' DLG glider
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1542598

Alexandre

Brasil

ps: sorry for my english, I'm writing om help of google translator.
Sep 18, 2013, 06:44 PM
It's GoTime all the Time
Killer I want to build my son a 1m DLG is would work well. Thanks RCG
Sep 18, 2013, 06:56 PM
Thermal Fisherman.
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryg
Wow Alexandre , great gliders there in your photos, I am sure you have learn thru trial and error what works best. i only have a small field here where i live and lots of trees so no need for a high end Dlg for me. what i can build is fine for my needs, the few Dlg s i have made so far all used carbon push rods running back to the tail surfaces so i could use some advise on how use spring with a pull string to the servos. i can see where foam board will work for wings if you can get close to a better Dlg air foil , any way this is an awesome tread lets keep it going
Larry,

A simple homemade HLG or DLG, and a fishing rod 8 feet with a plastic strip, is the best combination you can have, for those who can not spend hundreds of dollars.

May be in Depron wing kfm or hot wire, if you have light, and surfaces with cg and well adjusted, termaliza easy. Already thermalizei one clone with alula profile kfm4 was my first in thermal hlg.

This video below has changed my view on a hand launched gliders. I think the spirit of the thing is this.

Soaring Life (5 min 50 sec)
Sep 18, 2013, 08:22 PM
Awesome video Alexandre, that man could javelin throw a glider higher than i can side arm one lol, something magical about a light well trimmed glider for sure. i consider myself a rank beginner as far as gliders go but i thrive to get better at it. a new skill set for sure
Sep 18, 2013, 09:11 PM
Thread OP
I went hunting for a longer thicker boom. The arrow shaft still seems a bit short and fishing rods have all sorts of odd kinks but what looks perfect is a golf club driver. Now I just have to find one for cheap.

On second thought they seem to weight to much, back to arrows
Last edited by OozyToast; Sep 18, 2013 at 10:03 PM.
Sep 19, 2013, 04:44 AM
Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
This is awesome. Im a huge fan of DLG but never got into them because of the price. Now I may have to look into building one.
Sep 19, 2013, 06:58 AM
Thread OP

Join the building

Just so everyone knows this thread is not about my dlg it's about everyone building from dollar foam. Feel free to post your build logs if you decide to try build one.

Cheers

Oozy
Sep 19, 2013, 08:15 AM
i built this just as a test bed out of fff for DLG and i got good height on my side arm launch but not so great glide due to flat airfoil, i plan to re build another one this weekend with dollar foam an airfoil ,plus will add a little dihedral. also put a small ply in the nose so i can also bungee sling shot launch it,
Sep 20, 2013, 07:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OozyToast
I went hunting for a longer thicker boom. The arrow shaft still seems a bit short and fishing rods have all sorts of odd kinks but what looks perfect is a golf club driver. Now I just have to find one for cheap.

On second thought they seem to weight to much, back to arrows
What kind of length are you looking for?

Kite suppliers carry all kinds of spars. Standard lengths are 32", but you can get long ones, too. I've bought from both these places:

Goodwinds
Hang-Em High Fabrics

Goodwinds sells tapered carbon tail booms for $20-30 and rc sailboat masts for about $25. I know that's going to cost more than the foam board, but it's still cheaper than a golf driver. The masts go up to 44" long.

If those aren't stiff enough, it should be possible to get a spar from one of those guys and sock it with CF or kevlar from Soller Composites. Build up enough layers, you can make it as stiff (and heavy) as you want.

Tom
Sep 21, 2013, 03:09 PM
Thread OP

Wing progress v2

Here are some updates on v2
I took the advice of removing the paper for a weight cut
I hope I can match the airfoils by eye good enough and the wing is string enough
Name: V21.jpg
Views: 799
Size: 189.3 KB
Description: 2 layers one has strip of carbon f
Name: V22.jpg
Views: 670
Size: 203.0 KB
Description: Glueing strip in place
Name: V23.jpg
Views: 689
Size: 189.8 KB
Description: Glueing layers together with 15 min epoxy
Name: V24.jpg
Views: 685
Size: 186.0 KB
Description: Glueing finished, was sandwiched between flat surfaces
Name: V25.jpg
Views: 713
Size: 183.2 KB
Description: Sanding
Name: V26.jpg
Views: 660
Size: 187.3 KB
Description: More sanding
Name: V27.jpg
Views: 1064
Size: 213.7 KB
Description: Done my mystery airfoil all I know is its flat on the bottom
Name: V28”.jpg
Views: 769
Size: 189.1 KB
Description: 1st coat of minwax polyurethane
Last edited by OozyToast; Sep 21, 2013 at 03:23 PM.
Sep 21, 2013, 03:39 PM
looking sweet , i can not wait to see the end result, did you glass the foam ? i see poly and brush in the last photo . i got side lined working on a couple of dlg plank wings and my dollar store is out of foam board ?? must be since school has started and some projects lol

Quick Reply