Sep 17, 2013, 07:05 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Dollar foam DLG

I know this will never be equivalent to a high end DLG, BUT!

I made my first quick dollar foam board DLG and it worked from what I was told it was impossible and would not withstand the launch force (I am new to DLG) it may not withstand someone better at launching.

Anyways V2 coming soon and I hope it might get more people building

It's 360 g and I know I can get that way down (it's half hot glue)
It's 1.5 m and uses pull springs
Dollar foamboard DLG (0 min 29 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Sep 17, 2013, 07:08 AM
ingenuity is still at the core of this hobby. Your right, it may not be a Stobel or some other high end carbon wonder ship, but you never know. This could be the start of the next great DLG.....
Sep 17, 2013, 11:53 AM
i love it, would love to see some photos of it . good job
Sep 17, 2013, 02:08 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Could you imagine a DLG like the Radian in construction!!!

It could be a super cheap way for guys to join our ranks.

We could have cheap one design contests!

DLG combat!!

and the list goes on and on of cool things a foam DLG could bring to us....

Keep the idea going. hopefully someone will come up with a marketable solution or home built option.

Best of luck.

Frank
Sep 17, 2013, 03:08 PM
altitude adjustment
This reminds me of the foam meat tray free flight gliders I used to build with my son some years ago. We even made a few DL versions. He still talks about those gliders. Loads of fun and always beats watching the same TV show over and over. I'd love to see some close up pics of your build. Thanks for sharing.

Mark
Sep 17, 2013, 03:13 PM
please give us some close photos and details, we need good options like this for beginners, again great build
Sep 17, 2013, 03:46 PM
skumgummi dave
Wonderful effort! Tell us more...

Dave-
Sep 17, 2013, 06:17 PM
i built Rw Clouds 32 inch 3 panel poly SAL and though that his design was top notch for a simple starter but it requires a hot wire bow and some skill to make the wings. This design looks like it may be even more beginner friendly i am excited to learn more
Sep 17, 2013, 06:35 PM
Thread OP

Build video

Flite Test - FT 3D - SCRATCH BUILD (32 min 4 sec)

This is the video from flite test that I used for my building technique

I roughly copied the mimi dlg design but added ailrons and reduced the dihedral

I will post pictures soon
Sep 17, 2013, 08:41 PM
Hit me with your rhythm stick
Excellent! I love to see people come up with affordable solutions. I'd also like to see some photos or drawings of your creation. What's she weigh? Wing loading?. Curious how you did the tail boom....built up with the foamboard, or a composite tube of some sort? I use the $4 carbon arrow shafts from WalMart for my 40" foam DLGs.

When people ask how to get into DLGs affordably, the typical answer is "get yourself some one hundred dollar bills and buy a 1.5m composite plane, anything less will turn you off to the hobby." I disagree. A well designed inexpensive DLG will open your eyes to what's possible. A gateway drug to DLG addiction
Last edited by JimZinVT; Sep 17, 2013 at 08:47 PM. Reason: pssst...hey kid, wanna try one of these?
Sep 17, 2013, 09:25 PM
Thread OP

Bad pictures

Name: Faomdlg1.jpg
Views: 1514
Size: 221.0 KB
Description:
Name: Foamdlg2.jpg
Views: 1299
Size: 249.2 KB
Description:
Name: Foamdlg3.jpg
Views: 1228
Size: 205.7 KB
Description:
Name: Foamdlg4.jpg
Views: 1157
Size: 232.9 KB
Description:

Didn't have a good camera next build I will document better

There was also a crash nose first when my battery disconnected on launch so time for a rebuild

The main thing I know I will need to make this better is less drag. None of the edges were shaped the fuse was way too big as well as the airfoil not being smooth. I think I will also try track down an arrow shaft as suggested because the cf rod seems too thin and flexible

Any other tips are welcome
Sep 17, 2013, 11:51 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
What a unique design for a dlg!

I have never tried to build a foam board plane. For the tail edges and the aileron trailing edge, could you use the video''s trick of beveling the edge of the foam, with a bit of overhanging paper and pinch those edges to a sharper shape?

BP
Sep 18, 2013, 02:10 AM
What a clever design, i can easily see some places to shave off a little weight. 1/16 balsa tail feathers maybe and a more stream lined pod but hey all in all i love it for what its designed for . i hope this sparks off some interest to experiment with more ideas for the ultimate go build yourself a DLG today with cheap available materials. lets keep this idea going . Great job and thanks for posting the photos
Sep 18, 2013, 04:18 AM
Kiwi in Australia
Most excellent - I'm a fairly prolific foamboard builder and I've always thought about building a glider but I've not come anywhere near your success - that video is impressive!
Sep 18, 2013, 08:17 AM
Thermal Fisherman.
OozyToast,

Congratulations on your DLG is how it starts. One tip I give to your DLG v2, is cut with a wing profile AG45.

Here in Brazil built several DLG's for their own use, and low cost. My wings kfm2 always remained very weak, lasted a few days. (laughs)

My best results were with clipped wings in hot wire, durability and performance is good, even covered with tape.

I did the first gliders, fixed all the electronics on the fishing rod.

I'll leave some of the gliders I did, can be of help to gather ideas for your v2.

Alexandre

Brazil.

KFM-2

Below were all built with airfoil Ag45

Quick Reply