Mar 23, 2015, 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockadopolus
Was Paolos he told me he had a sudden power loss at the end of his display and was unable to land into wind
I believe the model was repaired
Joe
I thought that was the benefit of these compared to fix wing? Even with loss of power it would be completely controllable and land as normal so long as an airstrip is closeby?

Looked to me like a momentary loss of concentration by the pilot, at the last second you can see an attempt to pull up..
to remove ads between posts
Mar 24, 2015, 07:30 PM
Graham
There were no changes, all we did was change the battery didn't check the hang angle or anything, as I said we used a 14.8 volt 2200mah 35c Lipo it only took half the distance to liftoff compared to before. I have flown AGs quite a bit and I know that sounds kind of caviler but we really tried everything to get this thing to fly, well it finally did, he could even throttle back and still keep in the air and the landing was a treat. we only had one 14 volt battery, (which was mine) he only made a couple of circuits and a setup for landing, anyhow I was real interested to check the voltage when I put it on the charger at home, and to my surprise the battery read 13.8 volts so I am sure it would have been good for quite some time.
There is a short video that I have to get from a friend I will post it when I do.
Meanwhile mine is ready (I think) for this weekend hope to give it a try. It was red now it's white finally have a photo after just about a full rebuild
Mar 24, 2015, 08:37 PM

Ac-10

Found the video its pretty shaky don't know if its the model or the nervous pilot
Kevin http://youtu.be/VkpQ39-1nEkn 2200mah battery
Mar 25, 2015, 02:21 AM
Thanks Kevin , it does now look a little nose light but seems to fly better overall than the bigger battery versions. When I have finished mine I think I will try a 4s 2450 at 265 grams which will be a bit heavier than the 2200 used. Will report back in due course although may be a couple of weeks before I get chance to finish it.

Thanks

Graham
Mar 25, 2015, 10:16 AM
Graham
I know the takeoff looked a little rough but our runway is just a dirt road full of rocks and dirt
we have had several models shed parts on takeoff, also chipping props with the model shaking it's self to pieces before you realize what's happened. So overall the AC-10 holds up pretty well. There is a slight left turn on takeoff which gets worse as it builds up speed so a little attention should be paid to that, maybe a little right rudder trim on takeoff?
I only mention this as others reported this trend which ended up in disaster. I know all this is a lot to take in but I think we learn from others misfortunes, and this model fly's quite quickly so things happen very quick. Ill report on my experience over the weekend regards
Kevin
PS I will use the 2200 pack
Mar 25, 2015, 01:17 PM
Kevin
Kevin

Thanks for that , will watch out for the left swing. I note that the video clip earlier in the thread from Elmsett Uk ( which is where Hobbyking have their UK base) also showed that the pilot Gary Western said that he had to put in quite a bit of right trim to counteract this.. Gary is an ex show pilot and was in the modelling trade for many years so both of your comments are very relevant here.

This is my 9th gyro and second 2 blader so I am hoping to get through the eventual test flight unscathed but who knows ?

Good luck with the rebuilt maiden and look forward to your further comments in due course.

Graham
Mar 27, 2015, 04:07 AM
You budding Gyro pilots should be aware that rolling left on rotation is a classic indication that the rotor was not up to speed on lift off. Many Many model gyros have bit the dust due to this. Also be careful of low air speed, typically downwind, turns to the right as the model will tuck in and before you know it you are in a nose down spin and the blades just stop so no lift. Downwind keep the rotor speed up, gyros need lots of throttle control and rudder input.
Mar 27, 2015, 11:42 AM
Just to let everybody know my buddy ordered the pre rotor kit for the AC-10 needles to say it took weeks to get it, actually we had just about forgotten about it.
So the box arrived with the usual few bit's, a gear, a shaft a motor a plate an ESC and NO INSTRUCTIONS, nothing, how can these people sell this stuff (for a hundred dollars plus expensive shipping) with no instructions? I know we will eventually figure it out but the average person would not have a clue and there is no way to contact the manufacturer. I have tried. And no it wasn't from Hong Kong or China it was from Germany.
Sorry about that rage, just had to get it off my chest.
Kevin
Mar 30, 2015, 04:10 PM

ac10 gyroplane

Hi Sepcter( kevin)

My prerotator came from Lindinger Modellbau in Germany. If your friends is the same then I am attaching the instructions in PDF format. These are in German but I managed to follow the pictures OK. Note that the f/g plate shows 2 head mounting holes in the instructions but mine came with 4 holes. If you remove the grub screws from the head that clamp the control arms I found that the 2 extra head bolts supplied were a perfect length to clamp the rear of the plate to the head and also clamp the control arms.

Hope this helps

Graham
Mar 30, 2015, 07:35 PM
Thanks Graham had a good weekend, but it was very windy (and gusty) here is a video
Autogyro rc AC-10 (2 min 31 sec)
It took off OK and it did fly very fast and is out of sight very quickly, needed lots of right trim, rudder and aileron it was hard to get fingers off the sticks and on the trims. The left turns are brutal I don't think I moved the aileron stick more than 1/4 of an inch for the left turn and definitely needs lots of rudder too we have houses behind where we fly so I stayed away from the right turns with the crosswind being so strong. I used a 2600mah 50c battery which has bags of power, hope you have a good maiden I promise you it will be exciting regards
Kevin
Mar 31, 2015, 03:12 AM

Ac10

Wow Kevin well done. That looked like an underwear changing experience !! Nice slow landing though. Am still trying to figure out why it needs so much right trim. If you hang it from the rotor head and apply power mine swings right & needs left rudder trim to correct for the engine torque as there is none built in to the motor? Obviously have not yet tried it for real so don't know re aileron. Presumably yours has the same prop as mine i.e 10.5 by 8, 4 blade tractor prop on backwards with clockwise rotation looking from the rear ? Also mine has about 3-4 degrees of right offset to the whole fin which is moulded in. I did Email Unique on this for clarification but they have not bothered to reply. Have settled on a 2700 Zippy Compact battery after seeing yours which is 100 grams lighter than recommended and am mounting it right back to the wood former.

Will report back in a couple of weeks when I have tried it.

Graham
Mar 31, 2015, 12:21 PM
Graham you are right I think my fin and rudder have a little RH offset as far as I can tell there is no built in motor thrust up down left or right, my prop is the original the spinner fit is terrible
seems whatever you do it runs off center I was thinking of making one from foam and just gluing it on as the prop never seems to get damaged, I would be sure to check everything twice for tightness and alignment, when I went to look at my friends AC after It was finished I bent down to move the model picking it up by the blades and the whole blade mounting assembly came off in my hands, when we took it apart the main shaft had nothing the bottom of the shaft to hold it in. If he had ever got it off the ground in this state the whole blade and main shaft blade assembly would have separated from the model very embarrassing and expensive so be sure to check everything twice. There was somebody on this thread that assembled an AC and when it came out of the box the tail boom was so bent he had to realign it with heat, don't know how he did never heard from him again. maybe they box them while the parts are still warm. Can't think of anything else to tell you Graham except to wish you good luck with the maiden
Kevin
Mar 31, 2015, 02:06 PM
Graham looks like you will need pretty strong bike clips .... Good luck. If you want an EPP version let me know

Steve
Mar 31, 2015, 03:41 PM
Kevin
wow ..that looked like a bit of a fun ride.....I can see it was a hand full in the air but you made a great job of the landing. All my pusher models have motor off set to the right of about 4-6 mm to correct the pulling to the right prob . I looked as if when you give it aileron ...the model banked pretty steeply over on to its side and lost a lot of height. The answer is RUDDER ..RUDDER Are you aware of the hang thrust test. There is a video made many years ago by Jocken K. that shows the model supported from the mast and also from the U/C. With the motor centrally mounted the model rotates to the right .When the motor is moved to the right ..it shows that the model pulls straight ahead. This may be of help....just watch.
Happy Landings
Chris...
Mar 31, 2015, 03:43 PM
Jocken K's thrust test. (1 min 11 sec)