Sep 29, 2013, 04:50 AM
Registered RC Addict
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.E
Looks like one of the Rental Winnebago Rock Stars is about to fly FPV without a spotter.... Well he has a cameraman there..it must be OK then...
Really? What do you think the spotters stand 1 foot away from the pilots at all times?

Just because you don't see one in the photo doesn't mean he didn't have one...

If you want to know yes he did have one and I was there to witness it since I took the photo.

Besides their main complaint wasn't the rules it was how they were dealt with...

I didn't personally have any problems with the officials, but I was witness to a very loud vocal battle between a pilot, spotter, and official...
Last edited by team222badbrad; Sep 29, 2013 at 01:46 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 29, 2013, 07:09 AM
Just Plane Crazy
Please lets keep this conversation out of this thread. I understand it is titled for Media and clearly this controversy is based on media.
I of all people being an out of club volunteer feel it is an honor to ware the ‘Blue jacket’ and have helped in my own way build the NEAT Fair to international status. The true spirit of NEAT is camaraderie and the Brotherhood (sisters too) we share that we are all passionate about.

So if there are more posts to this thread in my opinion we should keep the media to the true spirit of NEAT.

Paul
Sep 29, 2013, 01:43 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
I just want to thank all the people who shot photos and posted them again.

I know I sound like a broken record, but the time and energy it takes to take, edit, post photos not only to this thread, on Flicker takes a while.

Those who do this I believe are heroes to the rest of us who can't get there, either because it is way too far, costs too much in fuel to get there and a host of other things that prevent some from attending. At least we are able to see the photos, some videos of the event and were circumstances to change, we could choose to come based on the photos and what we see happening.

Paul has some outstanding photos and there are others, I just don't have their names in my brain to type them.

All of you, Thank You so much.

i know what it is like to work as a behind the scenes volunteer. It is not an easy job in many ways, but when you see many people having fun, the joy of their experience makes it all worthwhile.

Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Sep 30, 2013, 11:18 PM
Just Plane Crazy

Another way to enjoy

Hello all:

I thought I would give Windows Movie Maker a try so I selected most of my photos and made a video and posted it on You Tube. Unfortunately the Thumbnail is weird.

NEATFair2013 (7 min 7 sec)

Enjoy

Paul
Oct 01, 2013, 12:00 AM
Warbird crazy!
Thanks for all the great pics.

The 30's racers are amazing!

I have to build a Caudron and the new Pete.

John
Oct 02, 2013, 02:31 PM
Just Plane Crazy
Hello all:

Hay I found this video on You Tube.

Too cool, Grandfather, Father and son participating in this years NEAT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFuWCTu1XFE
Oct 02, 2013, 06:21 PM
Power Glide
Excellent vid....normally I hate the music people add to their videos but this one sounds great and it has a wonderful story line.

Thanks for posting it Paul.
Oct 03, 2013, 01:05 PM
Nice video Paul!
Oct 08, 2013, 03:39 PM
Kit Manufacturer
This is the video I put together of the noontime demo of our flat foamie ME-109 and Spitfire. My video camera died and so I had to use my iPhone 3GS so I mixed in some pictures from SAWatt with his permission. Thank you Steve, and thank you Dave and Devin for flying the demo saturday and sunday

NEAT Fair Demo 2013 (3 min 17 sec)
Oct 09, 2013, 10:49 AM

cd

hi
very nice photos
I havent been to the neat in a few years.
Is Tom Hunt still running the show at the neat?

I have to admit I have been to hundreds of rc events and Tom is the least congenial cd I have ever wittessed.
From 1 video I saw from 2013 event it appears he is even less patient .
He tells one pilot to land in 30 seconds or I will STOMP on your plane when you do land.
That is not a very nice way to speak to anyone.
I hope he is ok.
Last edited by bullittgt; Oct 09, 2013 at 11:53 AM.
Oct 10, 2013, 10:01 AM
Power Glide
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullittgt
hi
Is Tom Hunt still running the show at the neat?

I have to admit I have been to hundreds of rc events and Tom is the least congenial cd I have ever wittessed.
From 1 video I saw from 2013 event it appears he is even less patient .
He tells one pilot to land in 30 seconds or I will STOMP on your plane when you do land.
That is not a very nice way to speak to anyone.
I hope he is ok.
I'm a newbie in the hobby but I planned on attending NEAT and when I saw a thread where Tom was asking for volunteers to help setup I jumped at the chance.

I met Tom for the 1st time when I arrived the Saturday b4 the show and he immediately put me to work. I was impressed with how well he had everything planned out making sure everyone knew their job and that it was done to his satisfaction. He was everywhere working just as hard if not more so than everyone else.

I found him to be a very knowledgeable and caring individual who's only agenda was to make the show the best & safest event possible for which in my opinion he and the staff succeeded.

The responsibility for the entire show landed squarely on his shoulders and maybe if he or a staff member got irritated with those that did not follow the safety rules (given the recent tragic event) I think they can be excused.

Jerry Quinn
Oct 10, 2013, 12:47 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNDL
I'm a newbie in the hobby but I planned on attending NEAT and when I saw a thread where Tom was asking for volunteers to help setup I jumped at the chance.

I met Tom for the 1st time when I arrived the Saturday b4 the show and he immediately put me to work. I was impressed with how well he had everything planned out making sure everyone knew their job and that it was done to his satisfaction. He was everywhere working just as hard if not more so than everyone else.

I found him to be a very knowledgeable and caring individual who's only agenda was to make the show the best & safest event possible for which in my opinion he and the staff succeeded.

The responsibility for the entire show landed squarely on his shoulders and maybe if he or a staff member got irritated with those that did not follow the safety rules (given the recent tragic event) I think they can be excused.

Jerry Quinn
One of the things that was brought up was that due to the death of the heli pilot in Brooklyn, the event was going to be under a microscope by the media with regard to the safety of the pilots and spectators. There is a reason for all the rules and (as per the Flite Test video) having your children or cameraman as your spotter is not acceptable. I saw one pilot at the flight stations almost get taken out by an overshot landing by another flight station and the only reason it didn't happen was because his spotter pulled him back out of harms way. an 8yo or a cameraman filming would not have gotten that done, and then you have an accident and more bad press for the hobby. I stand by how Tom ran the event and if it took some yelling to get people to listen/notice, so be it. I like the flite test guys but they were wrong about things. There are rules and they are there for everyone, even the celebrities. The father with his kids should have been stopped before they made it to the flight station
Oct 12, 2013, 05:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman
One of the things that was brought up was that due to the death of the heli pilot in Brooklyn, the event was going to be under a microscope by the media with regard to the safety of the pilots and spectators. There is a reason for all the rules and (as per the Flite Test video) having your children or cameraman as your spotter is not acceptable. I saw one pilot at the flight stations almost get taken out by an overshot landing by another flight station and the only reason it didn't happen was because his spotter pulled him back out of harms way.
That was me. Thankfully Greg Cardillo knows a spotters job very well!
Oct 12, 2013, 09:56 AM
No ! Your other left !
Bullit, You can't take anything out -of-context these days(videos without the rest of the story). Tom is a great CD and ran this show with a great balance of fun-to-safety. Safety is the most important. NEAT has rules and a lot of people tried breaking them.
I witnessed a father-son duo at the slow-flyer area having an argument with NEAT officials that finally escalated up to Tom coming over. The man was VERY argumentative and looked to be fluffing up to impress his son. He wasn't going to back down.He even asked Tom the question (paraphrased)"AND who are you!?"
Some people need to read the rules and act reponsibly .
Alan

Good people get Lobstah
Oct 12, 2013, 10:36 AM
Kit Manufacturer
Quote:
Originally Posted by aramsdell
Good people get Lobstah
and airplane rides

Quick Reply