Sep 15, 2013, 05:54 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Another Genesis Question.

OK I know there are probably a ton of posts on this topic but most point on going to 6s and that's not what I would like to do at the moment. I am looking for a prop my setup is as follows.

Leopard 4082 2000kv
Turnigy 180amp esc
Turnigy nano-tech 4s 5000kv 45-90c batteries. x2 (parallel or run one at a time )
3/16 flex cable
and a cnc 445 prop.

The hull runs fairly wet at the first step. Batteries are placed about even with the motor and esc and the strut is level with the rear of the sponsons. Boat runs flat with not much of a rooster tail. What prop would you guys recommend and any setup help.

This is also on OSE.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 16, 2013, 01:04 AM
RELAX. You'll live longer
That prop should work well.
Lift the strut up about 3/16" to start with and add a slight bit of negative angle to it when the hull is sitting flat on all the steps on the table. About 1 degree is about it.
Then move the batteries back until the COG is about 28% of the length of the hull from the transom of the hulls to the tip.
See how that works.
If it is still wet, take the negative out of the strut.
Sep 16, 2013, 08:43 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for the help. On OSE the recomended checking esc programing and strut angle also. Hoping to try this out tomorrow.
Sep 20, 2013, 03:21 PM
Remember the transom is where the stingers would exit and not where the rudder mounts
Sep 22, 2013, 10:53 AM
Single motor, central.

I would always run both batteries at the same time in parallel. More amp supply which that motor will draw on 4S.

I would try an Octura 437/3 with that set up and adjust battery position if the strut is set correctly.

I used to run mine with that prop and a 3680 2000kv motor on 4S with the T180A esc and blew the ESC.

Apparently it was drawing too many amps. Changed to the SF 200 and then blew the motor!

Now I'm running SF200, Leopard 4082 1600kv, 6S, Octura X440/3. Ran beautifully and cool till I split the hull upon impact with a downed tree.

Repaired the hull and it sat for months.

Started sanding the hull today......finally!

Got a SF 240HV so I can run 8S and pull some serious speed runs. May even try an Octura 447/3.

Got video?
Sep 25, 2013, 07:15 PM
Thread OP
Sorry for the late update. Re-programed the ESC and I have power again. Also moved the strut up and cg back some and the boat runs way better and all electronics are warm not hot. I have been keeping the option open for changing the prop just haven't chosen one yet. Trying to do some more tuning before I make other big changes. Thanks for the help.
Sep 26, 2013, 05:40 AM
Octura 437/3 gave me great results on 4S.

However, my 2000kv motor was shorter and smaller in diameter compared to yours which is why the amp draw was so high..

Here's my boat straight out of the box with the stock 2075kv motor on the Octura X437/3 prop.

I can't believe how slow this was and I thought it was fast!

HK Genesis on 4S (4 min 32 sec)
Last edited by mozzyrocks; Sep 26, 2013 at 06:36 AM.
Sep 27, 2013, 06:49 PM
Thread OP
The quest for speed seems to not end. Havent had the chance to run yet maybe in the morning. I didnt like the stock setup which is why I changed it out. I have seen some run my setup on 6s but I doubt I will go there. Your boat looked good in the video btw.
Sep 27, 2013, 10:02 PM
Hahahaa, 'looked' being the operative word there!

Didn't go too well in my book. I think I will push this hull to find it's limit and then move on to something larger.
Perhaps in the 1300mm+ range and go for twins. A lot more money though, but, it is a hobby and brings me a great amount of joy and satisfaction to complete a project.

This Genesis has been a long drawn out learning process. Which is great for others as I now possess the knowledge (thanks mainly to Bill) to make this thing go faster.

I'm also working on converting a gas scooter to electric after breaking the engine off many years ago doing things it wasn't supposed to do, like going off road and jumping it up gutters.
Now being older and having a medical condition, the scooter will be my main mode of transport to commute to the local shopping centre and back for groceries, etc.

Don't forget video and photo's of your work, we ALL love the visual aspect of things.
Sep 28, 2013, 02:29 PM
Thread OP
My wallet tends to keep me attached to reality. I try and go with this hobby on a budget and can honestly say that I buy a lot used and put it to good use Here are a few pics. I tried playing with carbon fiber for the first time and did ok. The corners and sides got 2 more layers of fairly thin fiberglass. I had the time so why not.
Oct 11, 2013, 03:13 PM
Waypoint Collector
Quote:
Originally Posted by plpflyboy
My wallet tends to keep me attached to reality. I try and go with this hobby on a budget and can honestly say that I buy a lot used and put it to good use Here are a few pics. I tried playing with carbon fiber for the first time and did ok. The corners and sides got 2 more layers of fairly thin fiberglass. I had the time so why not.
Hi. I'm just browsing Genesis builds to see if I can get motivated to resurrect mine. (FC Daytona) It's been sitting in the garage for over a year since I cooked my 300A ESC.

Your ESC water inlet & outlet lines look a little worrisome to me. It looks like they have to make a sharp bend at the ESC barb fittings because of the proximity to the motor. Does the ESC need to be that close to the motor? Sliding it away about an inch should help straighten up the line and ensure unrestricted flow.
Oct 12, 2013, 09:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNug
Hi. I'm just browsing Genesis builds to see if I can get motivated to resurrect mine. (FC Daytona) It's been sitting in the garage for over a year since I cooked my 300A ESC.

Your ESC water inlet & outlet lines look a little worrisome to me. It looks like they have to make a sharp bend at the ESC barb fittings because of the proximity to the motor. Does the ESC need to be that close to the motor? Sliding it away about an inch should help straighten up the line and ensure unrestricted flow.
That's a good setup for routing. My only change was to use a different type of tube.

As long as the line doesn't kink, it's ok.

Quick Reply