Feb 15, 2004, 11:13 AM
Thread OP

Daedalus five cylinder radial

Pictured is a radial engine built by Yiannis Mantheakis of Greece. His first was done up utilizing Cox .049 cylinders. It ran well but was LOUD. I've been lucky enough to be associated with Mr. Mantheakis and was able to provide a muffler design for his Cox version. Ultimately, I was able to convince Yiannis to do a Norvel version and that is the engine pictured.

As you can see, it turned out to be a gorgeous looking piece of work. Yiannis has sent me a CD of the test run and I can only say that I'm impressed. Testing and refinement continue. The goal is to have the same power to weight ratio of a single cylinder engine of equal displacement,, a .30. Also being considered is a radial using Norvel .074 components making a .37. This would be accomplished with very little increase in weight.

Already, Yiannis has had a number of offers from Japanese manufacturers so we might see this engine in commercial production in the not too distant future.

I]Sorry guys but the pics I have are too large to be posted. Any suggestions as to how I can get them to work?[/I]
to remove ads between posts
Feb 15, 2004, 05:37 PM
Try reducing them to 70 DPI and of a size around 750 pixels wide.

That should reduce the size to less than the 100kb limit especially if you convert them to .jpg format with high compression.

If you haven't done it before, can you say what photo software you have? (Photoshop,Corel photopaint, etc). I'm sure someone will be able to help.

I really want to see the pics you have. Sounds interesting.

Tony
Feb 15, 2004, 11:22 PM
Thread OP
I've got Adobe Photoshop. Hadn't needed to use it before and I just did the registeration.

I've poked around and used the edit/fix photo feature. This allows you to resize and it says that the new, resized pic will be added to a seperate folder but then, it gives no indication as to what or where this "new folder" is.

I love conmputers.
Feb 16, 2004, 04:21 AM
In photoshop:-

File> Open(select the photo you want)>Open( in that box) and it appears in Photoshop. Select Image>Image Size

First, go to the Resolution box and enter '72' then move up to the 'Width and change it to Pixels if it's not already there and enter the number less than 800 (that avoids sliders on a screen of 1024/768 when viewing RCGroups). It's probably already set, but make sure the 'Constrain' box is ticked and the Height will automatically change too. Use any of the Filters you want (like Sharpen), then go back to File>Save As.. and move the Up arrow at the top until Desktop appears. Select .jpg from the file types and give yours a name if you want to. Select Save and you'll be asked for a compression rate - around 2 or 3 will normally be OK - and the file size will be displayed. make it less than 100k. Then click OK and the file's on the desktop! Done!

Now you get to the page on RCGroups and do your post as you've done now. Click on Attach and pick your photo from the desktop by clicking on it. Then send!

If you want to keep the pic for later put it in a file where you keep such stuff or delete it. The original photo should still be where it was. I rename mine as(filename)web.jpg

These compressed pics are not suitable for printing so I usually delete them.

Tony
Feb 16, 2004, 03:50 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Tony but my version of Photoshop is limited in what I can do. As you suggested, I've posted the pics in my gallery. One of these was supposed to be a video clip but it's not working. Will try again later.
Feb 16, 2004, 05:41 PM

5 cylinder

Lets try this
Feb 16, 2004, 05:43 PM

5 cylinder

...and this
Feb 16, 2004, 05:46 PM

5 cylinder

...and this.

All copied direct from your Gallery to desktop then posted as normal. There's probably a better and easier way, but this works for now

Nice engine. Has a solidity and workmanlike look about it. Now, a model for it?

Tony
Feb 16, 2004, 08:35 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Tony, appreciate your help.

Yes, a model for it. Stearman of course with all them jugs hanging out for all to see. Geez, we need a drool icon.

With lightweight radios, batteries etc. and with Daedalus putting out as much power (hopefully) as a single, this engine would find a home in a lot of worthwhile projects.

Some might just want one to fondle and care for.

We'll have to wait though. This is just a prototype but as mentioned, there's plenty of interest from several manufacturers. I can't wait.
Feb 16, 2004, 10:32 PM
Grumpa Tom
How much would an engine like that cost? It sure is sweet!!
Latest blog entry: Felony
Feb 17, 2004, 01:38 PM
Thread OP
KMot,

Yes, it looks sweet and sounds awesome. Price? Perhaps several hundered dollars but we have no idea at this point. Still in the VERY early development stages. I for one will have one no matter what,,, even if I have to sell some of my Enron stock.

Tony,

Managed to get the video clip into my gallery. Lets' see how it runs.
Feb 17, 2004, 01:45 PM
Thread OP
KMot,

Yes, it looks sweet and sounds awesome. Price? Perhaps several hundered dollars but we have no idea at this point. Still in the VERY early development stages. I for one will have one no matter what,,, even if I have to sell some of my Enron stock.

Tony,

Managed to get the video clip into my gallery. Lets' see how it runs.

Quick Reply