Mar 14, 2015, 08:04 PM
spektrum dx8. I just tried it again after reading all you most recent post but still a no go. only the master can make it work thats not fair hope ya get it figured out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
What transmitter are you using?
to remove ads between posts
Mar 14, 2015, 08:14 PM
Thread OP
You tried the new updater v5.2, and changed the binding mode (white LED) to either 3 or 4 and then bound the 9645 with your Tx using the X10+? Actually, ALL of the modes work - but you need mode 3 or 4 for DSMX compatibility. 1 and 2 are DSM2 only.

Side note: one thing I did notice is that if your Tx is too close to the satellite, it won't bind. I had to move the Tx several feet away from the satellite before it would bind.
Mar 14, 2015, 08:20 PM
yes it works now thanks. sorry didnt see your post before writing my previous post. everything work perfect now dsmx 11ms
Mar 14, 2015, 09:52 PM
Thread OP
Great, thanks for letting me know!
Mar 15, 2015, 08:17 AM
No prob thanks for resolving the issue so fast. Can't wait to fly it. Proably gonna order one more for my electric 70 slick.

Jim you said that you keep the servo plugs attached to the x10 with shoe goe. I use that on my heli fbl units but they have a case that makes it easy to apply. How exactly are you putting shoe goe down to hold them? I know shoe goo is not conductive but not really a place to put it without a case.
Mar 15, 2015, 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by keither1984 View Post
How exactly are you putting shoe goe down to hold them? I know shoe goo is not conductive but not really a place to put it without a case.
Between the servo connectors and the circuit board would be my educated guess....
Mar 15, 2015, 09:01 AM
Thread OP
Yes, I just put a small dab on my finger and wipe it across the servo bus so it thinly coats both the servo plug and the bottom (black portion) of the X10's servo pins.
Mar 15, 2015, 12:05 PM
Yin & Yang

Success!

Jim,
Awesome! Update 52 corrected the bind issue using the x10. I'm connected now with DSMX 11ms to the same sat I had been trying all along. Servos mapping/movement is spot on now.
A week from first bug report to functional solution.
Love the product and the tech support is nothing short of stellar.

I don't know why I can't bind with the AR8000 or AR636 and have the sat work when connected to the x10 but now I don't need to.

Thanks a lot for your assistance. looking forward to putting this the first one in my 74" Laser. I can see me using quite a few of these
Mar 15, 2015, 12:41 PM
Thread OP
That's odd. I may pickup an AR8000 for testing to see if I can figure out why it doesn't work when binding that way. The AR6210 w/9645 works fine. I guess it really doesn't matter since we can select any possible binding mode now.

Glad that you have a system you can use!
Mar 17, 2015, 02:16 AM
that's how i roll!!

Success!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaus View Post
That is exactly what I would like to do . Please keep us posted.
I did a test flight sunday using the dual frsky rx and x10 setup with excellent results. Rock solid control through knife edge, torque rolls, pop-tops, ect. I'm still getting a feel for the airframe (first flight on it) but everything was super reliable (knock on wood)

Before the flight i ran up the engine for a minute or so to make sure nothing was going to vibrate loose or back out. To mount the x10's i used 2 wood screws and rubber servo mounts under the board which held up well, as did the SBUS inputs (those were my main areas of concern).

After the flight everyone was checking out my radio setup and I demonstrated unplugging the primary rx and the second rx seamlessly taking over. I also used the X10's servo matching function to match the 2 aileron servos per wing instead of using my 9303 (you can match it on the TX but the aileron trim only works for one aileron). What's nice is that you don't need to unplug your servos to program the x10+ with the serial link; it automatically disables the servo outputs and aux port when in programming mode.

I am still trying to work out the telemetry while running two frsky x8r's simultaneously; i was getting RSSI but no voltage readout, but maybe the telemetry voltage is not read from the sbus input. According to the manual you can disable the telemetry on one rx but i think that also disables the sbus output. I tried the same experiment on my 2 d8r's and got full telemetry, but the voltage and RSSI kept bouncing back and forth between the two rx's somewhat arbitrarily.

Bottom line, i had a successful 10-minute flight, only use 1/2 tank and landed with 92% in pack #1 and 96% in pack #2 (2700mah 2s zippy compacts).
At first i had rx1 connected to the primary and rx2 connected to the aux input of both x10's, with the red wire cut on x10's #1's primary input and #2's aux input, but I was getting a pretty violent servo jerk when i powered on X10 #2 with #1 already on. I then tried cutting the black wire thinking maybe the signals were glitching because they shared a common ground, but i got the same results. So i ended up powering each rx from the main sbus port of its own x10 and only feeding the signal wire into the aux ports, which resulted in smooth start ups.
Mar 17, 2015, 11:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkfly27 View Post

I am still trying to work out the telemetry while running two frsky x8r's simultaneously; i was getting RSSI but no voltage readout, but maybe the telemetry voltage is not read from the sbus input. According to the manual you can disable the telemetry on one rx but i think that also disables the sbus output. I tried the same experiment on my 2 d8r's and got full telemetry, but the voltage and RSSI kept bouncing back and forth between the two rx's somewhat arbitrarily.
I'm using almost the the same setup on a 120cc performing hard 3D. Almost 100 flights now. You have to bind one of the x8r using the "non telemetry mode" so you will have telemetry from only one receiver. I can see with the telemetry the voltage in the receiver ( A1), the voltage of the lipo packs, and engine temp but, as I said, using only one of the receivers for the telemetry.

I log every flight on the SD card and I never had RSSI below 55 (alarm set at 45). Remember on FrSky equipment RSSI is represented using a logarithmic scale.
Mar 17, 2015, 11:20 AM
Thread OP
The only thing having all of the power wires connected (uncut) would do is put the batteries in parallel. There will be no issues with either power setup (at least for the X10+ boards' usage).

FrSky must be showing a signal quality instead of RSSI. True RSSI is measured in dBm, which is backwards from a LQI (Link Quality Indicator). Typical signal strength is between -25dBm at the model, and around -75dBm while flying. You start having issues when the signal reaches -100dBm.
Last edited by JimDrew; Mar 17, 2015 at 01:43 PM.
Mar 17, 2015, 11:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkfly27 View Post
I did a test flight sunday using the dual frsky rx and x10 setup with excellent results. Rock solid control through knife edge, torque rolls, pop-tops, ect. I'm still getting a feel for the airframe (first flight on it) but everything was super reliable (knock on wood)

Before the flight i ran up the engine for a minute or so to make sure nothing was going to vibrate loose or back out. To mount the x10's i used 2 wood screws and rubber servo mounts under the board which held up well, as did the SBUS inputs (those were my main areas of concern).

After the flight everyone was checking out my radio setup and I demonstrated unplugging the primary rx and the second rx seamlessly taking over. I also used the X10's servo matching function to match the 2 aileron servos per wing instead of using my 9303 (you can match it on the TX but the aileron trim only works for one aileron). What's nice is that you don't need to unplug your servos to program the x10+ with the serial link; it automatically disables the servo outputs and aux port when in programming mode.

Bottom line, i had a successful 10-minute flight, only use 1/2 tank and landed with 92% in pack #1 and 96% in pack #2 (2700mah 2s zippy compacts).
At first i had rx1 connected to the primary and rx2 connected to the aux input of both x10's, with the red wire cut on x10's #1's primary input and #2's aux input, but I was getting a pretty violent servo jerk when i powered on X10 #2 with #1 already on. I then tried cutting the black wire thinking maybe the signals were glitching because they shared a common ground, but i got the same results. So i ended up powering each rx from the main sbus port of its own x10 and only feeding the signal wire into the aux ports, which resulted in smooth start ups.
Excellent ! Thanks for the report....

Question: Did (or have you had) any issues with latency with your Taranis ?

Maybe the X10 board improves the latency of the FrSky system ???
Mar 17, 2015, 01:44 PM
Thread OP
Well, technically it does improve latency. If you measure the last servo output from the X10+ to the last servo output on the receiver, you will find that the X10+'s output beats the receiver's output - even though there is a SBUS conversion going on. That is because of how our products output the servo channels nearly simultaneously.
Mar 17, 2015, 06:06 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
...but in a more practical terms, if still using the taranis/FrSky radio link, Jim measured it to be worst case of 52.1ms, and best case of 28.2

With the XPS module, worst case of 40.4ms and a best case of 24.6ms

speed up from X10 is non-existent compared to this.

Quick Reply