Sep 20, 2013, 08:39 PM
I have been reading the Version 1.2 manual for the X10 + and have a question.
On page 12 “FAILSAFE CONFIGURATION “
It states that the failsafe is turned on by default, but it does not say what the default settings are.

In the next paragraph, titled “FUTABA and SPEKTUM USERS it goes on to say the you can set each channel to a specified position.
\
I believe that should refer to those using a Futaba or Spektrum RECEIVER ? ??

I am using a Futaba 10 CAP with an Xtreme link module. I don’t think that paragraph refers to my configuration, even though I am using a Futaba transmitter.
It is confusing to say the least.

What I want to be able to do, using my Futaba 10 CAP with the updated Xtreme link module, the X10+ and a Nano II receiver is to set the failsafe with all controls in the neutral position and the throttle at a low setting.

What do I need to do to achieve that?
to remove ads between posts
Sep 20, 2013, 10:19 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanDY
I have been reading the Version 1.2 manual for the X10 + and have a question.
On page 12 “FAILSAFE CONFIGURATION “
It states that the failsafe is turned on by default, but it does not say what the default settings are.
As stated in the manual, the defaults are HOLD last position until you have deliberately set the positions with the live active failsafe.

Quote:
In the next paragraph, titled “FUTABA and SPEKTUM USERS it goes on to say the you can set each channel to a specified position.
\
I believe that should refer to those using a Futaba or Spektrum RECEIVER ? ??
Remember, XPS customers have always had this ability, and it is being pointed out to Futaba and Spektrum customers how this works.

Quote:
I am using a Futaba 10 CAP with an Xtreme link module. I don’t think that paragraph refers to my configuration, even though I am using a Futaba transmitter.
It is confusing to say the least.

What I want to be able to do, using my Futaba 10 CAP with the updated Xtreme link module, the X10+ and a Nano II receiver is to set the failsafe with all controls in the neutral position and the throttle at a low setting.

What do I need to do to achieve that?
The same thing you have always done with all of our receivers. Think of the X10+ as just another XPS receiver. In fact, if you look closely you will see that all of the features, including the push button programming are identical to our original 8/10 channel receivers.

So, if you wanted all of the channels except throttle to always HOLD last position (something that I don't recommend), you would set the failsafe map for all of those channels to HOLD, just like you would with any other XPS receiver. Then you would use the live active failsafe to set the throttle channel's position during a failsafe.
Last edited by JimDrew; Sep 20, 2013 at 11:01 PM.
Sep 21, 2013, 09:59 AM
What DO you recommend for fail-safe positions Jim? Neutral and low throttle?
Sep 21, 2013, 01:24 PM
Thread OP
Yes, throttle low or off and neutral for all of the surfaces. In my jets, I sometime also put the gear down, depending on the plane.

I am looking at adding another failsafe level to the existing failsafe system. Most guys don't want to shut their turbine off in a failsafe condition, which is required by the AMA. 2 seconds is the rule, but I would prefer that after 2 seconds, the throttle went to low and after 4-5 seconds then the turbine would shut down. Having a two-stage failsafe would be handy in many cases with gas and electric setups too.
Sep 21, 2013, 03:22 PM
Two stage on control surface would be good also start with hold or last input then after few sec go to neutral
Sep 21, 2013, 08:53 PM
Thread OP
Well, today I surprised myself! While working on the new Nano firmware I has an idea I wanted to test, and it turns out that it works! The idea - plug a Nano into the Serial Link, and turn the combo into a XDP. It works! The only issue is that it requires a change to the Serial Link hardware. Right now, the Rx/Tx lines are tied together with a solder bridge. There needs to be a 4.7K resistor bridging those lines together. Once you do that, the Nano can drive the Serial Link. The Nanos have 1K blocking resistors on the signal lines to allow the line to be completely shorted to ground without affecting the operation of the other channels (something possible with a servo failure). So, the drive current is very low. This is why the Serial Link needs modified.

Another bonus that I will test tomorrow is the ability to use the Nano to wirelessly program the X10+ using our XDP hardware OR this Serial Link/Nano combo.

The Nano is going to require a firmware update, and it may not be possible to accomplish with the normal XDP updater because the boot loader has to be updated to. I will know more tomorrow.

Just to clarify - the Nano can still be used as a normal receiver. This would be just one more thing that it will be able to do.
Last edited by JimDrew; Sep 21, 2013 at 10:17 PM.
Sep 21, 2013, 10:16 PM
My X 10 + expanders and Nano II's just arrived.
I am sooo excited and can't wait to get one pair installed. I really think this is going to be a game changer, so many options not previously available.
Thank you, the wait was worthwhile. Now for the transmitter that can handle more than 10 channels.
Alan Y
Sep 21, 2013, 10:52 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew
Yes, throttle low or off and neutral for all of the surfaces. In my jets, I sometime also put the gear down, depending on the plane.

I am looking at adding another failsafe level to the existing failsafe system. Most guys don't want to shut their turbine off in a failsafe condition, which is required by the AMA. 2 seconds is the rule, but I would prefer that after 2 seconds, the throttle went to low and after 4-5 seconds then the turbine would shut down. Having a two-stage failsafe would be handy in many cases with gas and electric setups too.
I like it, very nice. idle before kill would be sexy.
Sep 22, 2013, 01:37 PM
EDF all the way!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew
Serial Link is now available.

To put the X10+ into computer programming mode, you do the same thing as all other XPS receiver products - press and hold the button down while applying power (then release the button). So, you would plug the Serial Link into your USB cable, plug one end of a JR female to female cable into the Serial Link, and then press and hold the programming button while plugging the other end of the JR female to female cable into the X10+'s serial interface. The Serial Link powers the X10+, so you don't need to power the X10+ separately. Run the XDP.exe program and you will now be able to adjust all of the settings just like you can with any of our receivers.
I'm doing the above but getting error message that <no extreme link device found>. Help! X-10 has solid red led then bring up xpd.exe push search for device button then get error. not sure what to do next.
Bob
Sep 22, 2013, 04:25 PM
Bob, here is how I did it and it worked just fine. I have the female to female cable plugged into the X10+ and the other end into the Serial Link, then the USB cable also plugged into the Serial Link. Now while holding down the programming button on the X10+ plug the other end of the USB into your computer and this powers up the X10+ and the LED turns yellow and release the switch. Now open the XDP program and tell it to search for device and it finds it.
Page 13 of the X10+ Channel Expander Installation and Usage Manual, Serial Link Mode paragraph.
Hope this helps.
Lane
Sep 22, 2013, 04:50 PM
Thread OP
Bob, you need to press and HOLD the button before applying power (via the Serial Link). When you do, the LED will turn yellow. You can then release the button and use the XDP software.
Sep 22, 2013, 08:47 PM
EDF all the way!
Got it. Works now.
Thanks,Bob
Sep 23, 2013, 04:27 PM
I have been emailing with Tech support about issue in getting the X-10 and Nano to work. They asked me to post here instead of directly with XPS so here goes.

I have built a 50% scale 1912 Blackburn Monoplane. All of the fuselage back to the rear of the cockpit is covered in metal so I need the receiver to be way back in the fin away from all that metal.
I just had all my Xtreme link stuff updated. I am using a Futaba 10CAP with the Xtreme link module.
Here is my last post to XPS. explaining again what is going on:

Ok I started again from scratch. To be sure I reset the Nano to its defaults before doing the binding and Xtreme setting procedure.
Here is the sequence I used.

Bound the Nano to the transmitter and then followed the instructions ending up with Nano flashing red in Xtreme mode.
With power to the X10 NOT connected and the Transmitter turned OFF. I connected channel 6 on the Nano to the X10 using 26 gauge twisted wires about 9 feet long with no joins or connectors.

Turned on power to the X-10, that flashes RED and the Nano flashes Red servos completely still.

Turn on Transmitter: X-10 light changes to GREEN, Nano is steady RED most servos going full travel with no input from transmitter which does not work the servos anyway.
Beats me.
Alan
Sep 23, 2013, 05:46 PM
Thread OP
Did you try a different cable? Maybe you wired the cable backwards for power/signal.

I am not sure how it is possible to have the servos go to full travel without valid input. If the LED turns green, and stays solid green (no flicker), then the signal is good to the X10+.

So, the next thing could be that you have the servos plugged into the wrong channels.

Try this... unplug all of the servos from the X10+. Now, plug a spare servo in the output port 1 (which is the 2nd port on the right). Channel 11 is the right most port, followed by channel 1 through 10 (moving right to left). Channel 1 for your Futaba system is aileron. Try moving your aileron stick and see if the servo moves... it should! You can then test the other output ports to make sure each channel works. Let me know the result of that.
Sep 24, 2013, 07:57 AM
OK...I,m old & more than a little slow .....as concerns "Serial input mode"; what is "Xtreme fast" & "Xtreme slow" & why would I choose one over the other......if this has already been covered (probably has), please point me to the link.....
Thank You
Ed

Quick Reply