X10+ Channel Expander - Page 109 - RC Groups
Feb 07, 2018, 11:31 PM
Hi Jim, it is not the first of April as yet, so why am I missing a resistor between the main chip and the output pin 1 of a new X10? it has a solder blob on each land but nothing in between.
I need a resistor, can you stick it on any fly migrating to Australia , pretty please?

ps. I can hand solder 0402 and 0603 SMDs, any smaller and I start to have a tiny bit of trouble.

disregard the crack about sending one only resistor, I just ordered 100. 99 I reserve in case another one falls off.
Last edited by E_ferret; Feb 08, 2018 at 12:06 AM. Reason: problem fixed soon
to remove ads between posts
Feb 08, 2018, 01:47 AM
Huh? What do you mean? There is a resistor actually missing from your board? It was shipped to you this way? Can you take a picture of this? How long ago did you get this board (we haven't had them available in a couple of months now).
Feb 08, 2018, 02:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew
Huh? What do you mean? There is a resistor actually missing from your board? It was shipped to you this way? Can you take a picture of this? How long ago did you get this board (we haven't had them available in a couple of months now).
hi Jim, got 2 RFU's and 2 X10's just recently. come to think of it, I soldered the power leads into the 2 large holes on the board. It is quite possible that the heat of the soldering iron was enough to liquefy the solder retaining the resistor, add a slight shock and it may just have departed.

the channel one resistor is about 4mm from the positive solder pad which requires a fair amount of heat when using thick wire. I think that is what happened. I cannot remember, but I think that I soldered the negative first, which did not leave me much elbow room between the negative lead and the
outlet pins to solder the positive lead.

I thought it was strange, considering the quality of your products.

I apologize if my earlier comments gave you a heart attack.

Regards,

Jacques

ps. I'll be 78 next month, may have something to do with it. (newspaper print is getting smaller, hills are getting steeper and everybody mumbles.)
Feb 08, 2018, 02:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by E_ferret
hi Jim, got 2 RFU's and 2 X10's just recently. come to think of it, I soldered the power leads into the 2 large holes on the board. It is quite possible that the heat of the soldering iron was enough to liquefy the solder retaining the resistor, add a slight shock and it may just have departed.
Yep.. that's why I wanted to see a picture. We have had quite a few people desolder the resistor next to the power inputs. You need high temperature for a short duration and you don't want to 'bump' the board because that can knock a resistor off (and create a cold solder joint).
Feb 10, 2018, 04:21 PM
a blip in the documentation?
X10 1.8.pdf, page 21, function 6;

After the flashing stops you have five seconds to change the failsafe override value. To change the AUX port value, press and release the programming
button the number of times you want to set the AUX port function to, once
for Output Port 11, or two times for redundant receiver
Feb 10, 2018, 04:31 PM
looking at the new X10. Now you have brought two SMD's even closer to the power inputs.
may need to supply the users with a piece of PTFE as a temporary shield during soldering.
anyway it looks good, I'll be up for a couple as soon as they are available.
Feb 10, 2018, 04:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by E_ferret
looking at the new X10. Now you have brought two SMD's even closer to the power inputs.
may need to supply the users with a piece of PTFE as a temporary shield during soldering.
anyway it looks good, I'll be up for a couple as soon as they are available.
Or why not just provide the unit with a couple of lengths of wire already soldered in place by "the factory" ???

For example, like an ESC.......
Feb 10, 2018, 09:03 PM
The power pads are actually further away from the SMT parts. We will have 16awg and 14awg wiring options besides end pin or top pin servo pins.

Quick Reply