Apr 07, 2014, 11:09 AM
making my own planes...
Thread OP
moving foward on blank building, this is my "heavy" that´s no so heavy blank layup, consist of : paint, 25 glass, 200g carbon plain weave, 1/16¨ balsa sheet as core, 80g glass for inner layer. On Dbox I put 3 x 80glass for inner layer, the idea is to reinfornce the LE to get this part stiif and avoid breaking it on bad "landing" and similars. Planning to get close to 600-700g for a heavy blank, that´s not really heavy for you guys but remember that we have light winds here along the year.

No tricks, tips or news, standart building all you guys already know. Hope I get all the spars where it should be and a good finishing and molds aligment, this is my first wing from this moulds,..., I´m excite to see how it will be,... tell you tonight
to remove ads between posts
Apr 07, 2014, 08:37 PM
making my own planes...
Thread OP
Opened the molds tonight and got a good surprise, everything went ok and i got a smooth and stiff wing. The LE is sharp and simetrical all the way, standart finishing to moulded pieces, It was not polished and already shining
I did the G force and seems ok for high speeds, also indredible twist resistence!
By far my best piece ever, mold approved

André
Last edited by decones; Apr 08, 2014 at 04:47 AM.
Apr 07, 2014, 10:14 PM
Eagles are my nemesis
Looks great. I like the color scheme a lot too as you can see by my avatar
Apr 07, 2014, 11:00 PM
Looking awesome!!
Apr 07, 2014, 11:30 PM
Remember... Fly for fun!
Nice work, Andre!
Apr 08, 2014, 02:42 AM
608 km/h!
Well done Andre, that looks fantastic!
Apr 08, 2014, 02:46 PM
making my own planes...
Thread OP
Thanks guys,
This is my first "from scratch" project and I'm excited to fly it,
Gonna work hard on fuse molds now...

André
May 11, 2014, 08:31 PM
making my own planes...
Thread OP
more progress here, almost there, worked hard on the fuse plugs and then molding up. Good news are the plugs survived intact after molding , will share the plugs with local friends to have more blank´s fuses in the sky
Hope the next pics show the whole moldel ready!

André
May 20, 2014, 08:25 PM
making my own planes...
Thread OP

Finally!!! Blank 40 was born

After 1 year on this project it finally came a day where I can see the results . Thats common thing in molded models but you simple will never be familiarized with it, will be always Christmas when you open a mold like this.
fuse came apart very easy weighting 92g, total weight wing + fuse = 444g,.... and that's my heavy layup, maybe auw around 600-700g, that's good for a 40" model, next one will be extra light, maybe auw around 400g, that's a good target!
well, fuse joining was a little tricky, I use the joining method of crossing lauyers of glass plus a few mass around it, the baloon help a little to stuck wet on wet glass cloth after closing the molds.
Now this only missing part it's the canopy.
May 20, 2014, 08:28 PM
making my own planes...
Thread OP
:d:d:d
May 20, 2014, 09:22 PM
608 km/h!
Well done Andre, that looks great!
May 20, 2014, 11:09 PM
AvB
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Wow, perfect Andre!
May 21, 2014, 12:31 AM
Mr Windburner
Looks good Andre.
It's a good feeling flying your own plane you have design and made.
Kev
May 21, 2014, 06:06 AM
making my own planes...
Thread OP
That´s right!
I can put in the speed list designer/builder/owner/pilot/crasher/..../...

Thanks guys, all I have been using is your techiques and inspiration, since I started DS I saw Scratcho, Scorcher, Warhead, Deepend, Windburner and others projects with great success, that really inspired me to move foward and develop my own model . I really appriciate all help and tips you have done since there, now it´s my time to share and inspire others to do the same, hope we can arrange some mega international meeting to know everybody personally and enjoy days at the Hill.

Cheers,
André
May 21, 2014, 09:20 PM
608 km/h!
These forums really are great hey! I go on a few other forums for other hobbies, and none even come close to the amoun of info or helpfull people.

Quick Reply