Soaring With A Purpose - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Sep 13, 2013, 11:35 AM
Discussion

Soaring With A Purpose

Good Morning Guys

I have a couple of exciting announcements relevant to the sport of Cross Country Flying.

First of all, an ancillary byproduct of the new solar farm is another access road to our field. It's easy to find by following the construction road on the west side of our parking area. Then jog east along the northern fence line and then turn north and follow the road along the eastern edge of the solar farm to the new driveway at County Road 35. It's a little bumpy but will smooth out over time.

Item two is "Soaring With A Purpose". Here's the scoop on that.

Objective
This is an open and perpetual cross country soaring challenge. The purpose is to encourage club members to try their hand at cross country flying without investing in expensive, single-purpose cross country planes. The fastest time around the predetermined course is the trophy winner.

Course
The SVSS flying field is bounded by four County roads. Mace Blvd. on the west, County Road 36 on the south, County Road 106 to the east and County Road 35 on the north. These four roads comprise the six-mile course.

Rules
See SVSS club rules #1 & 2. Size limit 4-meters. Planes can cut corners. Vehicles canít. Start and finish line is the intersection of Mace and Tremont. While anyone can participate in this challenge, the trophy will be awarded to active SVSS members. No varios or telemetry allowed. Reporting is on the honor system. The same pilot must fly the entire course.

Trophy
We will maintain a perpetual trophy to honor the pilot who completes the course in the fastest time. The trophy will retained by the pilot until his /her record is bested by another pilot flying a faster time. A new record time will be acknowledged by reassigning the trophy after our regular monthly contest.

We will also maintain a page on the club website showing the rankings of those whoíve attempted the course. Reports should include the date, pilotís name, time, team member(s) and plane flown.

At one members suggestion, we should add a class or classes for electrics. We just need to figure out some parameters for the classes and motor runs.

Dudley
to remove ads between posts
Sep 13, 2013, 12:05 PM
Good for what ALES you
I believe that this is the course as described.
Sep 13, 2013, 12:25 PM
Maybe we could have the start/finish line at road 35 and north edge of solar panel array so we don't have to go through/over the tree tunnel?

Jonathan

Slowly recovering from fierce cold I picked up on my trip to Munich.
Sep 13, 2013, 05:07 PM
Good for what ALES you
I am a bit concerned that if cutting corners is allowed, this could turn into a car race around the outside of the course while keeping the aircraft loitering in a very small circle near the center. I don't have a recommendation for how to address this, but wanted to put it on the table.
Sep 13, 2013, 07:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by awilmunder
I am a bit concerned that if cutting corners is allowed, this could turn into a car race around the outside of the course while keeping the aircraft loitering in a very small circle near the center. I don't have a recommendation for how to address this, but wanted to put it on the table.
There are only a couple of ways to to verify that a complete course was flown and both tend to defeat the underlying purpose of this challenge; "Have Fun". A verifiable data logger would be one way. The other is for the pilot to stop at each corner and fly his plane around said corner.

In my opinion, this course is sufficiently challenging even cutting the corners. I flew it today with Carl Vega and Jim Rolle. I failed to complete the course. Granted, conditions were less than spectacular but I consider myself a fairly competent pilot.. It's not as easy as it looks.

Give it a try and see what you think.
Sep 13, 2013, 07:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by awilmunder
Aric,
I wouldn't worry too much about this. If you look at the distances involved, the short legs are 1 mile and the long legs are 2 miles. I can tell you from experience that trying to sit on a spot while moving away from the plane racing around the course is not that easy with XC planes, much less TD planes. You might cut a 1/4 mile short of a corner which is a reasonably comfortable visual, much more and you risk the plane. I don't think this is intended to be so serious that killing a plane is worth it; its to get more people trying XC style flying.

JT
Sep 13, 2013, 07:16 PM
Team Hello Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpherit
...Slowly recovering from fierce cold I picked up on my trip to Munich.
Sorry about your cold Jonathan but even more sorry you missed the Oktoberfest over there. Bummer, man!
Sep 15, 2013, 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoaringDude
Sorry about your cold Jonathan but even more sorry you missed the Oktoberfest over there. Bummer, man!
Greetings Chris!

Looks like Saturday contest was a bit of a challenge! Today is the first day in 6 that I feel reasonable. Definitely on my way to full recovery. They have some nasty virae in Munich.

Don't mind missing the O'fest. It is quite a spectacle and worth a visit just for that. But for me, it's "been there, done that." Besides, the top bier gardens are open year round (Andechs, Weihenstefan, Augustiner, Schneider, etc) and they each offer several different beers to choose from - yummy! and in a calmer, less frenetic environment. Perhaps I am just showing my age!

Jonathan
Sep 16, 2013, 01:11 AM
Team Hello Kitty
Jonathan, glad you're on the mend. I suggest you call a "bier gardens" meeting so I can get it on my schedule asap. C U at the field soon.
Oct 01, 2013, 06:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudley Dufort
Good Morning Guys

First of all, an ancillary byproduct of the new solar farm is another access road to our field. It's easy to find by following the construction road on the west side of our parking area. Then jog east along the northern fence line and then turn north and follow the road along the eastern edge of the solar farm to the new driveway at County Road 35. It's a little bumpy but will smooth out over time.

Dudley
this could be a real improvement to avoid those Eucs. I know of at least two XC ships lost because of that tree tunnel. It nearly took Dominic and me out last year

maybe cut a short road from the north end of our parking area to directly intercept the new road? actually could just remove a log barrier and smooth out any large bumps in the weeds

Steve
Oct 02, 2013, 09:58 AM

Perimeter Alarm

A few days after my post, Carl Vega, Lou Fox and I tried the new TDXC Course using the north access road that I previously described. I thought it would be a "piece of cake" to complete the 6 miles with my Xplorer. I didn't bother with maximizing altitude in thermals. I figured I could easily snag another thermal down the road and pull a rabbit out of my hat with a low level save. What a wake up call that was. I only made it half way around the course. It's a bit more challenging than I thought. I am looking forward to giving it another go very soon.

As for the new access road. We discovered that there is are motion detectors along the perimeter fence of the solar farm and there is a guard on-duty 24/7. The sensor's trigger range is 40 feet. All this was discovered after a couple of members used the "new" road to retrieve a downed plane at the last club contest. We were paid a cordial and friendly visit by the security guard who gave us the run down on the alarm system.

Before using the new access road we need to establish a protocol whereby we notify the security guard of our proposed intrusion into their area so that he is aware of our presence and can disable the alarm.

Dudley
Oct 02, 2013, 07:58 PM
Dudley,

I'd like to try the "Soaring with a Purpose" challenge some time. It has the advantage of being "right here" and the course not so long that it would be an all day endeavor. --- I hope :-)

Jonathan