Feb 14, 2004, 08:53 PM
Thread OP

Best 20 Bucks I ever spent. Speedy 163

Hi Gang!

Last Monday Chris, a flying buddy, called me up and told me he was going to get himself a 20 euro "parkflyer" with speed written all over it. Although fast with the brushless, both the GWS Zero and the GWS Corsair where beginning to get a bit lame *did I say that out loud?*... Lets just say I was missing some sort of kick at the field lately. Chris sent me a link to hepf.at where you can get the ME 163 from ACT for 19,90 Euro's. Perfect. Cheap, I still have two micro servos and the speed 480 from my late GWS Spit lying around in a box somewhere...very nice. The order was sent Tuesday morning, on Wednesday I had a nice little box lying at home. Opening up the box I was a bit dissapointed. She was smaller than I thought and the kit is very spartanic. All you get is an A4 size piece of paper instructions three pieces of molded foam, a Ply stab, motormount and two control horns.

Pity I had borrowed my Digicam out the whole week so I dont have any pictures.

She was built and finished in two evenings. I did two mods and looking back, they were worth the effort.

Mod 1:

The Ailerons are usually just cut out, sanded and then fixed with packing tape as a hinge. The manual suggests wooden frames. I did them and this makes the ailerons a lot stiffer.

Mod 2:

Usually the whole front top half of the fuse can be taken off, leaving only the bottom half of the motormount to be glued to the fuse. I didn't like that at all and cut the front piece again and so giving the motor a better mount.

to remove ads between posts
Feb 14, 2004, 09:05 PM
Thread OP

Maiden Report

After installing all the gear (jeez, theres little space!)...

it took me another 30 minutes to get the setup on my TX right. I have never programmed a delta before.. come to think of it, I have never flown a delta before either. this is gonna be fun

Heres a pic of the all finished ME with the GWS Corsair as a size comparison.

Heres the setup and the stats:

Jamara Speed 480
Simprop 18-08 ESC
Guenther Prop 6x6
Multiplex Pico 6
KAN 1050 9,6V

Weight: 483g
Span: 700mm
Feb 14, 2004, 09:24 PM
Thread OP

Maiden day

Time to maiden.

yesterday afternoon Chris met me at our flying field. It was 12:00 Sunshine, no wind, perfect.

Chris did his ME in red, i tried to keep mine at least a bit scale.

We tossed and it was Chris's turn to maiden his ME first. Rudder check, throttle, and throw...

She went up, banked left, stalled and hit the soft snow. Motor mount broken. not good. Turned out the ailerons didn't have the exact same throws and she banked left when he hit the elevator. While Chris was fixing his ME with Power Tape and styro CA it was time to maiden mine.

A javeline toss and off she went. I was suprised at the speed of this little plane. She is a lot faster than my Brushless Zero. Amazing what the Speed 480 and the Günther Prop are capable of! Rolls are extremely fast and acurate, loops are rather slow and low passes over the field are awesome! The guys at the field where amazed at the speed this combo has. A rough Time measure showed about 80-90 km/h

The highlite was landing. she came in fast, touched the snow, did one bouce and then skied over the whole field till she came to a halt. Awesome. Three more awesomely fast and aerobatic flights followed.

The best spent 20 bucks EVER!

Rev
Last edited by Reverend; Feb 14, 2004 at 09:27 PM.
Feb 14, 2004, 09:46 PM
What is the name of this kit? I couldn't find it by the me 163 name.
Feb 14, 2004, 10:01 PM
Captain Carnage says......
Try this link

http://modelle.hepf.at/
Feb 15, 2004, 05:50 AM
Thread OP
The ME 163 is produced by a german company called A.C.T. You can find their homepage here:
A.C.T.

RC-Dymond used to stock them for the states. You can find their site

here

Rev
Feb 15, 2004, 09:44 AM
Crash Master
WOW! With that kind of wing loading, the wind doesn't stand a chance!

I't be interesting to see that with a much lighter setup. Heck, that motor has to weigh 100g! The pack weighs 175g! Seems like a 280 or 300 with a LiPo pack could drop the setup by almost 1/3 weight.

Anyone know where we can find this bird State-side? Don't see it on Diamond...
Feb 15, 2004, 09:56 AM
Try looking under "monthly specials" at dymond site.
Feb 15, 2004, 10:03 AM
Thread OP
This is where you can get it in the states:

ME 163

Rev
Feb 15, 2004, 10:05 AM
Crash Master
Thanks!
Feb 15, 2004, 11:22 AM
Dymond had a box full of them at MWE. They wanted $29 for them though.
Feb 15, 2004, 01:03 PM
TDI Abuser
He said he paid 19.90 euro's tho ,so its about the same....
Feb 15, 2004, 01:14 PM
Thread OP
yeah, with the USD currently being 1,27 Euros..
Feb 23, 2004, 05:04 PM
yeah...
the ME163 is a great plane..
i had already 3 !!

my heaviest had 750g and i could still through it by myself..

here a video of my last one:
500g "light"
Kontronik FUN400-28 with 8 old lame 500AR-cells
4,7x4,7"-prop

speed.. well: its fast i would say..

###############
VIDEO:
http://www.kraeuterbutter.at/Videos2...Remix_good.wmv
###############

at the end of the vid there is a crash.. ;(

soon i will get ME163 Nr. 4
(light, with LiPos)
Feb 23, 2004, 05:34 PM
Thread OP
Hey Kraeuterbutter, it was your vid that inspired me to get one in the first place *gg*
Liebe Grüsse in den osten!

Rev

Quick Reply