This thread is privately moderated by Bud Morrison, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Sep 27, 2020, 08:51 PM
Suspended Account
Here is an Ultimate Bipe powered with a dieselized .049 and covered with craft store cellophane. Pull / pull controls. I built the .60 sized Goldberg kit and made a few different sized planes from the originals.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 27, 2020, 08:55 PM
That's pretty cool. But I have to ask how did you covering it in cellophane?
Sep 27, 2020, 09:40 PM
Suspended Account
Spray the ink side of the cellophane with a light coat of 3M77 spray adhesive. Some seams that might get fuel soaked, it's a good idea to put clear tape over. It takes very little heat to melt through the cellophane so be careful.
Sep 27, 2020, 11:13 PM
Ah cool. Sounds good. Thanks.
Sep 28, 2020, 10:47 AM
Suspended Account
Dehavilan Dragon Rapide
54 inch span
26 ozs RTF [minus lug nut cargo in nose]
pull / pull for elevator and rudder
TD .049s fed from common bladder, but 1 engine would usually shut off several seconds after the other
Model could knife edge all day and flew OK with just 1 engine.
Covered with cellophane.
It took about 5 or 6 lug nuts in the nose to make the CG where I liked it and to improve the glide, but it was flyable without the extra weight in the nose.
Last edited by combatpigg; Sep 28, 2020 at 10:57 AM.
Sep 28, 2020, 11:07 AM
Nice subject and build CP !
Sep 28, 2020, 12:14 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by coriolan
Nice subject and build CP !
This is another "subject" where the idea for the plane came from a fellow forum member. What makes this 1/2A "Twin" a good bet for success is that the airframe is so large and stable in all axis...that an engine outage isn't going to cause a Death Spin that catches the pilot by surprise.
You don't need to worry about P Factor, counter rotating engines, etc. What you need is a large rudder with a lot of throw for single engine operation.
The engines needed to be aimed with considerable down thrust since the thrust line is so low. That was pretty easy to dial in after the model was built. I fired up the engines and held the model loosely by the wingtips at the CG to see what the "pitch up" tendency was.
Last edited by combatpigg; Sep 28, 2020 at 01:03 PM.
Sep 28, 2020, 01:05 PM
Suspended Account
1/2 A Shrike with shrunken 7UP bottle cowl.
Sep 29, 2020, 02:12 AM
Suspended Account
SR 71
Norvel . 074s
plane weighs 40 ozs
Not enough rudder authority to counteract a single engine spin. I never took the time to correct that. Model flew good when both engines were running.
Sep 29, 2020, 02:19 AM
Suspended Account
Ilyushin 4 Russian Bomber
same deal as the SR 71...not enough rudder to counteract a spin
I hot wired the wing and fuselage out of foam, then cut the foam wing and fuselage into pieces so that the individual sections could be traced to make balsa ribs and formers.
Sep 29, 2020, 06:05 AM
Cool planes! Nice thing about small models...easy to roll your own; good work.
Sep 30, 2020, 01:31 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard bait
Cool planes! Nice thing about small models...easy to roll your own; good work.
Thanks..!
During the final years of flying RC around here the trend was to see bigger and BIGGER STUFF. Flyers showed up with enclosed trailers with 1 or 2 giant scale, 3D gassers or giant war birds on board.
I enjoyed the awesome show these guys provided and I think some of them liked seeing my tiny stuff fly.
Is RC still going strong in your area...?
Sep 30, 2020, 03:00 PM
Our club has shrunk some, but we've still got a decent core who come out and fly every week. Electrics have become popular, but some of us still fly glow, and we even got a couple of electric guys into it, at least partly. Smaller stuff is almost all electric, though. Which is odd to me because I think the small engines are easy, run great, and make little mess.
Sep 30, 2020, 05:29 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard bait
Our club has shrunk some, but we've still got a decent core who come out and fly every week. Electrics have become popular, but some of us still fly glow, and we even got a couple of electric guys into it, at least partly. Smaller stuff is almost all electric, though. Which is odd to me because I think the small engines are easy, run great, and make little mess.
What really has been Culture Shock for me since I've been away is to see Tower Hobbies go down the tubes. They used to be a great all around place to shop with the best service.
Sep 30, 2020, 06:33 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by combatpigg
Thanks..!
During the final years of flying RC around here the trend was to see bigger and BIGGER STUFF. Flyers showed up with enclosed trailers with 1 or 2 giant scale, 3D gassers or giant war birds on board.
I enjoyed the awesome show these guys provided and I think some of them liked seeing my tiny stuff fly.
Is RC still going strong in your area...?
Sorry to hear it-my club is active in any kind of flight you want to bring to the field and they don't give a rat what it's powered with. Find a new club if you can, it's worth it!

Quick Reply