Sep 09, 2013, 05:17 PM
Discussion

just an injury not a punishment

Well i discover quadcopters about 18 months ago. i began with an ardrone, very safe, very easy, but very limited. so i bought a naza, a f450 frame, 4 X 3536 1000 KV motors and 4 X 10x6 carbon propeller.

The construction was very exciting, so much power to throw in the sky. I was in my house to connect the naza to the assistant, but the RX connection was wrong, nothing to do. Calibration, connection, disconnection, during an hour, and suddenly motors starts without sticks command, full throttle, and directly to my face (i was just above the quad). A propeller explode on my face, get into my eye socket and hit my eye. I was alone, and i rapidly understand that it was serious, my right eye was blind. Call 911 (18 in france), call family, lie down on the floor and spent....... 20 mn for the paramedics, 90 mn for the hospital, 3 hours with plastic surgeon, 16 hours to ocular hypertension diagnosis and 6 days more lay down with injections to save my eye.
Today i'm safe and i will never forget to remove propellers before work on my multicopter.
It was a rookie mistake, i hope the last, because we are always rookies, learning every day, be careful.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 09, 2013, 05:35 PM
Wow! Sorry to hear man, that is very unfortunate.

Glad to hear that your eye is ok and thanks for sharing your experience as a warning to others.

So it seems the Naza went into failsafe because of the problem with Rx<>Tx signal?

This is not the first case I have read where the motors fired up while connected to the assistant. I think I will put a big pillow or blanket over the props while connected to the assistant from now on (especially when updating).

That's also the thing with these carbon props that scare me! Although the stock DJI props would surely do some damage I don't think they are as lethal!

All the best in your recovery. Take it easy!
Sep 09, 2013, 06:11 PM
Very sorry to see that happen and I am glad it wasn't even worse.

These things can really bite.

Ever so often something like this happens. We have tons of threads where tragic and preventable accidents occur. Usually they are full of speculation. And it is facts and lessons that we really need.

I wonder if we should unify them under one sticky that we update? I'm not sure how interested people are to read and learn until AFTER something happens, but it helps.

I know I had to get a few nips from the micro quads before I started thinking about how to avoid trouble with my bigger multi rotors.
Sep 10, 2013, 03:20 AM
Another case of incorrect setup of radio failsafe. Absolutely have to setup rx failsafe to trigger Naza failsafe. Sounds like in this case the fs settings were down and left and full throttle. Needs to be centered and half throttle or no throttle.
Sep 10, 2013, 03:40 AM
Mmmmmmm!
A friend bought my DJI Phantom yesterday, this is why I told him to always put a towel on the motors whenever it's hooked up to the assistant. I've seen the motors twitch slightly when updating the firmware. So I always cover the multicopter before I change any settings or update it.
Sep 10, 2013, 04:15 AM
The towel is a very good idea.
Sep 10, 2013, 10:01 PM
Wow thank goodness you will be OK! Fly safe!
Sep 11, 2013, 02:26 AM
Suspended Account
I bisected a fingernail lengthwise and sliced deep the rest of the finger and considered myself lucky. Since then I take off props for a lot of stuff but not for just a quick config change and maybe 1 in 10 times it will do more than twitch, it will rev for a split second. I know I'm pushing my luck by not taking them off more often. I like the towel idea. With the counterrotating props its sure to get entangled and stop them.

Thanks for posting the picture. You won't know how many times it saves somebody because they were just a little bit more careful after seeing it. All the reminders add up in someone's head eventually.

Another reason to never leave home without a towel
Sep 11, 2013, 03:20 AM
Knowledge prevents flyaways
Glad your OK.

Some people on RCGroups laugh when others say these are dangerous. It didnt hurt but I still have about 10 tiny slices on my leg where i was hovering too close with my Hubsan.

I have a profound respect for my sporty carbon fibre propellored ecks frame.
Sep 11, 2013, 03:46 AM
Man, how many of us did the same mistake at one time or another. I've actually had my 450 heli go idle up while holding it when i knocked over the radio. Having those huge blades inches from my nose added six more items to my liftoff/landing checklist.

It never really hit me that other people may not have been as lucky .