Sep 09, 2013, 08:19 AM
Free foamie low waste plans
Build Log

Micro Velocity V-Twin for MMMB, plus FF video

Hi All

Just kicking things off here with some pics of my kit options. I'll re-edit later.
Last edited by Airlight; Dec 15, 2013 at 09:10 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 09, 2013, 09:19 AM
Go small or go home
That is one sweet looking aircraft. Can't wait to see how it turns out.
Sep 09, 2013, 10:56 AM
Thanks Ruzam, but please don't get your hopes up, this is a major learning curve for me. I'm hoping only that it doesn't embarrass me, and possibly leaves the ground. Thanks for your support and encouragement.

Sep 09, 2013, 11:15 AM
Go small or go home
Don't sweat it. You've already got the electronics and controls. You're half way there.
Sep 09, 2013, 11:16 AM
Leaving the ground is not always the problem. How quickly it returns to the ground often is.
Sep 09, 2013, 07:46 PM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
Airlight, i would recommend going with the gear drives and start with the props you have with them. those smaller pagers will struggle to fly even a 10 gram plane, but the 6mm drives should be fine for your plane. what span are you shooting for?
Sep 10, 2013, 01:29 AM
Derk, thanks for your help. I think about 400mm, I'm going to try and get all the wing area and fiddly bits out of an A3 sheet of 2mm depron for starts, to keep the weight down. Still working on how to do the pod.

Edit: anyone know the best way to drive the two motors with the one on board esc of the plantraco kit?
Last edited by Airlight; Sep 10, 2013 at 01:46 AM. Reason: Question
Sep 10, 2013, 02:10 AM
Splice both red wires and both black wires together into one connector. The connector goes directly into the receiver. It can be reversed to change rotation direction.

If you use contra-rotating props, splice red to black so one motor sees opposite polarity.
Sep 10, 2013, 08:25 AM

CAD started

Thanks BF (is that ok?) and Derk

Finally got the geometry into CAD from Crazy1pilot's thread plan, scaled it to approx. 400mm span. When I printed the original fitted to A3 paper, it looked almost the right size, just a little small, so I went for the 400 as a starting point. Does this seem big? I don't think it will fly or build all that well if the wing area is much less. Also, does anyone think those elevons/ailerons (?) look a bit small?

My initial thoughts are to make the 'pod' from blue foam, blocked so that I can remove the inner later and split at the wing line for a top and bottom piece. Build the wing into the bottom, with a carbon spar 'frame' to give hard points for the motors and servos. I'll put what I can into cad so that people can see/share if they want. I really don't think this is going to be a airfoil wing, I hope no-one is expecting that

I dug out my other set of Plantraco micro servos yesterday, the linear type, and I think they will probably serve this purpose better than the actuators, but I'll check the weight first to see.

I'd like to think this is going to make the weight, but I can already see areas where I might have problems - the rear motor weight is probably going to need balance at the nose for a start, so I'm thinking I'll cram as much of the Rx etc up front as far as possible, about where the canard is. If anyone knows much about balancing canard designs, please chip in.

What have I let myself in for....
Sep 10, 2013, 09:10 AM
CG might be tough. Yes, put everything as farforward as possible. A bigger battery might be your friend.

The ailerons couldbe a bit bigger, maybe. They tend to be less effective on small models. However, 3 channel might be a better choice: no ailerons at all. Much lighter, and easier to build, too.

I would consider increasing the size of the canard. It's very common to increase rudder and stab size on scale models to improve flying.
Sep 10, 2013, 10:12 AM

Thoughts?

Something like this? Then I can mount hard points for the motors and Rx etc across the frame, so the foam just provides 'shape'.
Sep 10, 2013, 04:10 PM

Shoot me if I fail...

I just had an email back from Duane Swing, CEO of Velocity aircraft. I had asked if they had any information they could give me to assist in the build, plan views etc.

He was kind enough to not only offer further information about the plane (I have another 4 scale feet of wing to apply to the XL wing from crazy1pilot's build), but to supply me with a login for their builders site, where I can access all of the build notes. I know that these will not be necessarily be required to build a micro sized foamie, but what a great guy! Thank you Duane, if you ever dip in to read this.

I really like this aircraft though, I may need to build me a big one soon. As soon as I learn how to build little ones...
Sep 10, 2013, 04:32 PM
Wow! That's great.
Sep 10, 2013, 07:45 PM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
Thats awesome, i have contacted a few companies for similar reasons and either got a "no" or no response
Keep at it, its not as hard as it seems.
Sep 11, 2013, 08:32 AM

The body

So this is what I think I need to emulate. I weighed some blue foam yesterday, and to be honest I'm not sure that it will help me in the weight area, so I'm back to thinking of a depron 'pod', maybe losing some curves but a lot easier to cut and build. I might be able to come up with something to give swoopy edges yet, need to think.

Quick Reply