Oct 26, 2018, 08:16 AM
Still Screamin'!
Almost like a "Barnyard" find
to remove ads between posts
Oct 27, 2018, 10:47 AM

Jackpot!!

I'm glad to see some new effort on this thread. I have often wished I had opted for the byro fan edf and maybe even the stock landing gear. My build has gotten very complex and heavier than I wanted. I am hoping to be able to get my workshop here next month, so I can get mine out of the boxes and back on the bench. I did move my 4ftx 8ft building bench with me, and it is currently stacked high with projects. I still remain hopeful to put a JF130 on 14s in mine.
Roger
Oct 28, 2018, 08:57 PM
Thanks, I'm pretty excited about it. My goal is a lightweight large model that I can operate from my home field.

I started doing a component check to minimize the weight of the model. As I posted earlier I purchased landing struts and brake from an RCG member. He only knew the scale 1/7.7-1/8 ".

The mains are no problem but I am totally confused with the nose gear strut. In theory the upper strut is fixed and the lower half moves for steering, like the full scale. Looks like the top was sawed free. If you guys recognize these, let me know.

The weight of the mains with brake and wheel installed is 9.5 ounces each! The nose strut with the wheels installed is 8.25 ounces.
The Byrojet with a HET 800/590kV installed is 1lb 14 oz.
The converted Dynamax units with a HET 700-98-670kV is 2lb 9oz.
The Schubeler DS-86 with a HET 700-98-780kV is 2lb 7oz (with heat-sinks)
Oct 29, 2018, 07:21 PM
EDF all the way!
One thing if use use the Byron fan there are no inlet ducts to worry about.
Bob
Oct 29, 2018, 08:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruff
One thing if use use the Byron fan there are no inlet ducts to worry about.
Bob
Yeah, it has some positives things about it that is for sure! It is currently the front runner.
Oct 29, 2018, 08:39 PM
EDF all the way!
All my Byron EDFs, F-16, Mig 15, F-86H are using Byron with no inlets. They are all flying better then the glow versions. Also working on a Byron A-4 next then BD-5J.
Bob
Oct 29, 2018, 09:45 PM
Kevin
I'm not exactly sure what piece on the nose gear you're talking about. I would think the whole strut would turn with steering. Fit it to retract with something like a robart/1/2"robostrut steering setup ( inner pin/bushing/clamp up retract). Only part that wouldn't turn with strut would be fitting for the drag brace

I know it's not the same, but at the beginning of this video, can see whole strut rotating (early setup video) Only the fitting connected to drag brace ( full size actuator)doesn't rotate

Could likely save a little weight switching the heavy rubber tires for something lighter. Check out Dave Browns line of foam tires for supper light weight, pretty easy to adapt to your wheels...or of coarse any hobby tires are lighter than solid rudder tires.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=4gN57sd-vgI
Oct 29, 2018, 09:51 PM
Pro Hoarder
I think the mid part of the strut was attached to the drag link. the lower part attached to the scissors is I think the launch arm. That should turn with the steering
Latest blog entry: In flight
Oct 30, 2018, 05:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 ragtop
Kevin
I'm not exactly sure what piece on the nose gear you're talking about. I would think the whole strut would turn with steering. Fit it to retract with something like a robart/1/2"robostrut steering setup ( inner pin/bushing/clamp up retract). Only part that wouldn't turn with strut would be fitting for the drag brace

I know it's not the same, but at the beginning of this video, can see whole strut rotating (early setup video) Only the fitting connected to drag brace ( full size actuator)doesn't rotate

Could likely save a little weight switching the heavy rubber tires for something lighter. Check out Dave Browns line of foam tires for supper light weight, pretty easy to adapt to your wheels...or of coarse any hobby tires are lighter than solid rudder tires.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=4gN57sd-vgI
Mike and Turbo,
The whole unit would rotate, including the drag brace. That is the part that I am concerned with. It may be seized up or something. Worse case scenario, I will just 3D print a strut cover like I did for my Y/A-F/A-18 single.
Good call on the wheels, I will remove them and check the weight again.
Oct 30, 2018, 07:51 AM
Will build for food!!!
Kevin, I'll PM you later but I have a spare Skymaster nose strut that I can sell you if needed to replace the damaged one. Only thing is it's missing the scale hydraulic actuator that attaches to the rear of the strut. Other than that, the strut is new and hasn't been used.
Nov 16, 2018, 12:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Cox
Thanks, I'm pretty excited about it. My goal is a lightweight large model that I can operate from my home field.

I started doing a component check to minimize the weight of the model. As I posted earlier I purchased landing struts and brake from an RCG member. He only knew the scale 1/7.7-1/8 ".

The mains are no problem but I am totally confused with the nose gear strut. In theory the upper strut is fixed and the lower half moves for steering, like the full scale. Looks like the top was sawed free. If you guys recognize these, let me know.

The weight of the mains with brake and wheel installed is 9.5 ounces each! The nose strut with the wheels installed is 8.25 ounces.
The Byrojet with a HET 800/590kV installed is 1lb 14 oz.
The converted Dynamax units with a HET 700-98-670kV is 2lb 9oz.
The Schubeler DS-86 with a HET 700-98-780kV is 2lb 7oz (with heat-sinks)
Kevin, that looks kinda like the 1/7 yellow hornet nose strut cut down, strictly scale sells a mod for it not sure if they can help. Here is a pic of one hope it helps.
Nov 16, 2018, 04:55 PM

Tams struts

the nose gear strut on Tam's, the whole strut rotates, with exception of the trailing link mount which is free to pivot when the strut is turning.
Last edited by jetjock50; Nov 16, 2018 at 05:00 PM.
Nov 18, 2018, 06:45 PM
Thanks guys,

I doesn't look like either of those. but I appreciate the help! I 3D printed a simple one that went over a Robart strut for my Yellow Aircraft F/A-18 single. I can do it again if this one doesn't work out.
Jun 22, 2019, 06:30 PM

jetjock50

ATTwoodrow, I am not sure where exactly but pretty early on in my adventure, I did a lot of research on the stab pivot location, and on balancing the stabs. I am still lurking around in here. I have have not even unpacked my project here since moving due in lack of shop space.
regards everyone, Roger
Mar 10, 2020, 11:34 AM

well it has been a while

have been out of the shed/shop area while undergoing some heart issues (afib) this last proceedure seems to have gotten that under control.
I recently picked up a XPS fan for this and I am looking forward to getting back into this adventure

Quick Reply