Sep 14, 2013, 09:49 AM

Ron e max

Thanks for posting the video here, it looks great!

here are a couple of pics of the plug for the inlet ducting, now to try and glass it up into ducting??!!!

Roger
to remove ads between posts
Sep 14, 2013, 09:59 AM
Banzai Institute
Nice Roger. Are you going to do the lost foam method for the ducts?

Dean
Sep 14, 2013, 11:27 AM
Closed Account

Dynamax Conversion

Here is an standard Dynamax conversion that I make.

Larry E.
Sep 14, 2013, 07:41 PM

inlets

Dean,
I will most likely go with the lost foam approach as I really know very little about molds and glassing.
Now if someone who knows more wanted this plug and would mold me a duct, that would work for me, LOL
Roger
Sep 14, 2013, 08:57 PM
A-4 nut!!
Ohhh............thats an ugly looking intake. Very inefficiant.

You need to straighten it more, and if possible - move the fan back to get a better shot of airflow to the fan.
Sep 15, 2013, 04:13 AM

ugly

well , I could lengthen it, if I wanted to weaken the main former for the landing gear and wing spar. NOT!!!!!
Sep 15, 2013, 02:45 PM
A-4 nut!!
Fine - then get rid of the duct and just stick your dyamax in their with an intake ring. You'd get more power out of it that way.

Seeing as how I don't know what the internals of your setup look like - I am simply giving you the wisest advise on how to get the most power out of your system.
Sep 15, 2013, 02:51 PM
A-4 nut!!
You should follow the link I showed in post #10

Paul has done one of these already and he has lots of pics in there.
Sep 15, 2013, 03:52 PM
Thread OP
was thinking the the same for the inlet problem ;better without anything and a lip than a inefficient inlet without lip
it is very hard to get a nice inlet curve due to former location
i' think i'm gonna stay on the first tought, twin 90mm set up,witch is the best way to get efficient inlet and outlet
Last edited by gianni sanchez; Sep 15, 2013 at 04:08 PM.
Sep 15, 2013, 09:22 PM

inlets

Skyhawk,
I have looked at Paul's set up several times, and photos show his fan in the exact same location as mine would be, not further back. They also do not show the completed inlet or exhaust , ducting, which I believe is from the Yellow a/c single f-18,
which having owned one, has substantially smaller inlets and tailcones. It is possible that I could straighten the rear curves slightly without altering the formers as the hole in the former, is 6 1/4 in. diameter and my plug outet is 5in diameter. Also the combined area of my inlets are larger than the area of the outlet. I might consider ovaling the hole in the former slightly and laminating the former with carbon cloth. I can see the benefit of moving the fan rearward in order to shorten the thrust tube, thereby decreasing the static pressure in the thust tube.
But according to my calculations would be minimal improvement.. And as I am using the Byron tailpipe Y which has larger outlets, I feel this would offset the
the static pressure issue
Roger
Sep 16, 2013, 12:54 AM
A-4 nut!!
It shows enough of it though....and your right, he did use the yellow single F-18 inlets - which are made ofr a dynamax anyway so the size is correct. All he did was fair them into the byron intakes. It was an easy - off the shelf solution.

If you don't want to move the fan back - the yellow ducting (or moding your) gets rid of that horrible joggle going into the fan. Straight shot. As it sit now that joggle is going to rob you big time.
Sep 16, 2013, 10:20 AM

credibility

Skyhawk, apparently you missed the point, Pauls photos clearly show his fan in the exact same location as mine will be, not further back!!!
So I have to assume that he too has the same short boogled up restriction in front of his fan, using the smaller inlet ducting as well??? Note Paul's picture on the left and them mine.
Sep 16, 2013, 11:27 AM
EDF Jet Jam 2019, June 13-16
Hi Roger,
I've been following along just in general interest but Friday I bought a Byron F-18 so nows its a bit more than academic interest. Skyhawk is right about that intake. It makes me cringe just looking at it. To be fair though, the F-18 has a relatively tough intake to make since generally you have to dodge the main gear pretty quickly and then getting back to the centerline quickly just adds to the complexity.

Since it will be a while before I can take delivery on my F-18 if you'd like I could work with you on the intake and see if we can come up with something a little better.

Dan Eaton
Sep 16, 2013, 11:36 AM
Classic jets rule
Roger i have to agree with the others the last turn is way too sharp.i have inlet lip that fits a dynamax if you decide to go that route,but not sure of how far the bulkhead is in front of the fan,the OD of the inlry ting id @6 1/2"
Regards Rodger
Sep 16, 2013, 12:02 PM
EDF rules... :)
If you go with just adding an inlet lip to the fan, you could extend a duct to the former and then put the lip on the duct in front of the former.
This would save the turbulence of the air coming thru the former in the fan inlet.

Eric B.
Last edited by AirX; Sep 16, 2013 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Added second sentence.

Quick Reply