May 05, 2021, 07:00 PM
Battery Puffer
Jetjock
I own dinogylipos.com and my Ph. is on the website. I help people all the time with battery questions as well as set ups. Feel free to call anytime and I can get you up to speed on lipos 101.

Mark
to remove ads between posts
May 30, 2021, 03:48 PM
Good to see your chugging away on yours, I need to bolt up the new gear and continue painting, install the hurricane fan and take her for a test flight!
Jun 04, 2021, 10:48 AM

jetjock50

It seems all I can talk about any more is my health issues, but two surgeries and too many tests to recount. I am still here and still hoping to get the dang esc changes for the timing set.
I just know that if I were to run the fan it would trigger all kinds of excitement to try and finish this bird!! This flier esc instrucions talk about listening to all the sound note changes etc. And my hearing is not good so I am afraid to even attempt it!!??

regards, Roger
Jun 04, 2021, 11:42 AM
world's slowest builder
Hey Roger,

We are here to help buddy and we are glad you are still here.
I see that Flier has a programming box for their ESC

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...60a03845aCzxxm

Maybe this would be easier than doing the "beeb.....beep" dance with the ESC?

I wonder if Par has used the programming box and could give feedback?
Jun 04, 2021, 08:02 PM

Thanks, I ordered it

I have to say that was the MOST cumbersome account sign up I have ever done.
Jun 05, 2021, 11:43 AM
world's slowest builder
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetjock50
I have to say that was the MOST cumbersome account sign up I have ever done.
Alibaba's site is a mess...but they do have lots of stuff you can't get anywhere else. hopefully it does not take too long to get to you.
Jun 07, 2021, 03:59 PM

you got that right LOL

That has to be the most cumbersome website to join, that I have ever joined!!!
Jun 08, 2021, 11:07 AM
Never used a flier esc, how do they compare to castle, yep,or hacker?
Jun 11, 2021, 04:46 PM

I can not say!

Honestly, I have zero experience with any of them since my only electric experience is a little 3s 2100 battery with stock esc preinstalled, I still have it and had no problems!!
I have this Flier esc because I got caught up in the fever of the moment with Par and the bigger better dynamax, and he got these flier escs in a bundle pricing, and it has the capability to go to 14 s if wanted, actually it is good up 22s. I was thinking I might want or need to have 14s capablity, if this Hornet doesn't fly like a Hornet should??? And again the price was quite attractive!!!
I have already received the manual programming box!! I am amazed at how quickly it arrived. So I guess I am out of excuses, and I am going to try and learn how to use my battery charger, and adjust the timing in the esc for this outrunner on my XPS fan. I hope this old man can absorb all this info.??!!!!:
Last edited by jetjock50; Oct 21, 2021 at 12:34 PM.
Oct 20, 2021, 05:51 PM

It's ALIVE!!!

Can you believe that I finally got it together to meet one of our local fliers here in Summersville, West Virginia. And he spent some time helping me learn how to use my new battery charger and check out my setup for the fan and esc. Turns out, that I have the right stuff , and it all works correctly!! Wow, this XPS fan is a Beast. I am very HAPPY, and I am clearing off the work table to get back to the Hornet. . Many thank to "Buck" Hamrick, of WALLY"S SQUADRON R/C Club for taking the time to help me get past my fear of this setup, and confirming my work and equipment was all compatible and worked as needed!. After charging the batteries, it took only a couple of minutes to reverse the throttle setup in my transmitter, and then reverse the red and black motor leads and the fan came to life!!!
Last edited by jetjock50; Oct 20, 2021 at 06:25 PM. Reason: adding content
Oct 20, 2021, 06:08 PM
Still Screamin'!
Darn right that fan is a Beast!
Oct 21, 2021, 07:04 AM
Registered balsa abuser
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBFreak
Never used a flier esc, how do they compare to castle, yep,or hacker?
I have experience with their SHV range (up to 22S), as there's not really too many options out there for those kinds of setups, and some models are very good while others are NOT. Had a 300A 22S model first which was good, until it suddenly died one day without warning. It actually happened after taxiing my Xcalibur + out for a flight, I had taxied down to the end of the runway and turned around lining up to start the takeoff run. When I applied power again, nothing happened...

Replaced it with a 380A 22S model, which turned out to be crap. It works, but overheats badly on a 18S setup pulling 150A so that's not good.

Got a 400A 22S model which others have good reports on, and it has been very nice with many flights to date. I added cooling fans to it, but I don't think they are neeeded as it comes down cool after a flight. They also have a 200A 22S model which is basically one half of this 400A model so I would expect that one to be very good as well.

Finish and build quality on these are not the best, all the other brands you mention look and feel more professionally made than the Flier model esc's I have had, but if you need something for cellcounts over 15S there's not much out there besides Flier or APD which may be nice but at 2-3 times the cost it also better be.

But one advice is not to trust the amps rating on a Flier esc too much. Get one rated for twice what you plan on pulling, at least.
Oct 21, 2021, 01:02 PM

22s on mine

The test runup on mine went well with the Flier esc, I did not change the timing setting and it seems to run fine. We did use the progamming box to check the settings and it is definatly the way to go!!
Oct 21, 2021, 02:49 PM
Registered balsa abuser
For sure it's nice to have the programming box to set up the esc. The other OK option is to use the USB adapter if you have a laptop.

That's the same 300A esc I had first, and it worked fine as mentioned until it just quit on me, I had the eBike version, only difference I think is that mine came with a cooling fan installed under the shrink wrap. I'd try to do some static test runs and check if it heats up much, if so I'd recommend cutting a hole in the shrink wrap on the heatsink side and adding a fan.
Oct 28, 2021, 11:08 PM

foam wings for the Byron f-18

what is the general feeling about cutting foam wings and stabs for this bird, install spars etc. then as I did with my factory parts. Removed the foam leading edge and trailing edge , install flat carbon fiber strips to foam, and install new balsa leading trailing edges , cut ply reinforcment strips per the instructions. Then groove the foam parts per the stock parts. Then fiberglass them. Would you still sheet the parts??? I can trace out lines for these parts from mine, as well as root and tip caps. The friend that asked about how to get these parts for his bare fuse, has a foam cutter!! what do you guys think??
Last edited by jetjock50; Oct 28, 2021 at 11:23 PM.

Quick Reply