Discussion

Byron F18 electric convertion

hi guys
i've bought this plane for a while now and never got time to get the job done
now it's time to get this plane out of the garage and begin to work on
as u might know this f 18 is a big beast
WING SPAN 57IN. 84 IN LONG
normaly done for a glow engine/fan as ramtec byrofan,etc
i was always asking myself how people succeed to get the plane airborne with such weak power :/
well... it helps me to be optimistic in a electric convertion
first of all this build thread is also a thread to collect informations , as maybe somebody already did this kind of convertion in the past ??
it might helps me to take the good way for the build
as far as i am now is the both fans and motors
those are 2 jetfan 90 with HET 1200kv motor on 12 cells each
i'm pretty sure this would be enough as it would push more than 10kg thrust
but any advices are welcome

i've already made some place and cut some undercarriage panels to have enough room to work in

i'll post pictures tomorrow
to remove ads between posts
Sep 08, 2013, 11:21 PM
I am building one now. I just started a foam plug for inlet ducting. It is my intention to use the an XPS fan with 16s in it. I have ordered the stabilizer mounts with integral servo mounts from Jet Legend and have made cutouts in the wings and vertical stabs and mounting servos there to make more direct control. I hate all the linkages that come with the kit. Building stronger formers for stab mounts. will modify thrust tube to work with XPS dynamax fan. Intend to use Jet Legend retracts and build my own mounts and formers. I will stay tuned to this and make posts as I progress.
Roger Shook
Sep 09, 2013, 12:57 AM
A-4 nut!!
Theres no way you need so much power. All you will do is make it increadibly heavy.

12S is more than enough for this bird. Even the 10s Byro fans are making more power than the OS91 setups.

2 fans will not work in this one due to the gear setups. Stick with the single.
Sep 09, 2013, 06:53 AM
Banzai Institute
Quote:
skyhawk Theres no way you need so much power. All you will do is make it increadibly heavy.

12S is more than enough for this bird. Even the 10s Byro fans are making more power than the OS91 setups.

2 fans will not work in this one due to the gear setups. Stick with the single.
+1 on that.

The 6" Byron fan without any inlet ducts would be plenty of power for this bird. Gianni if you do some looking you will see that setup can easily achieve 15+lbs of thrust without going over 12 cells. The airframe is large enough to look like it will be flying at a very scale speed plus you will have the power for vertical maneuvers that any good flying scale jet should have. The simplicity of a single fan will save you both weight and money. Thats my 2 cents worth. Good luck with your build. I'm subbed.

Dean
Sep 09, 2013, 06:32 PM
Thread OP
thanks guys to share your opinions
as i said every advices are welcome
the two main questions for me are ;
how many thrust do you have with this old -" fan and glow engine ?

and what's the total weight of the plane with this set up?

i know they were flying way to slow with this set up and want something not fast but scale enough , and get some minimum of vertical as you said guys ..

that's the things i need to know to decide exactly what i will do ...

i have plenty of motors/fan each size and power , 90/100/120mm fans , 700 and 800 HET motor sizes

the thing is i want something powerfull enough to avoid being always at full throttle on all the flight time !!
so that's why my first thought was on twin 90mm/12cells
i also have some 8cells motors for this 90's
witch it reduce the weight a lot
don't worry for the available room, there's plenty of it there
even with retract in ,the room is enough to stuck everything in

the deal for me is to get the plane under 10kg witch is possible with 8cells set up and close to it with the 12cells set up
around 80% ratio on 8 cells and a bit more on 12 cells

the other problem is about the inlet ; will i have to seperate inlet for each fan ?just wonder if turbulances will be too important without anything...
still in the case of a twin 90mm set up

so , it is hard now to decide myself without knowing those two answers above

here's some pictures
Sep 09, 2013, 06:45 PM
Gianni:
I have converted two Byron fans to EDF. One fan uses the HET 800 series motor of 590 KV and the other conversion uses the Scorpion 4035 out-runner with 630 KV. Both systems ran on 12S. The fan with the HET 590KV got 15.5 to 16 lbs. of thrust at 94 amps and the Scorpion out-runner setup got 16.5 to17 lbs. of thrust at 107 amps. The F-16 was about 14 lbs. and flew at about 110 mph.

Having said this, two of the JF 90's with the HET 1200 KV's could produce up to 12 lbs. of thrust each on 12S. The latest (November 2013 issue) edition of Model Airplane News has a short article on two Americans who are flying a Horten flying wing on JF 90's with the HET 1200 KV motors on 12 S and they claim to be getting 12 lbs. of thrust per fan. The article is on page 29 of the magazine. If you have sufficient intake area then I would consider using the JF90's. I have been flying a JF 90 with HET 700 series motor at 1400 KV on 10S in my Bob Violett Maverick and it flies the 15.5 lb. plane at 125 mph so the Jet Fans are worth a try.

Ed
Sep 10, 2013, 03:05 AM
Classic jets rule
i think the Jet fans will work but you might have to carry a lot of power to cruise,it might be better to have 2x 100mm fans.
Last edited by AIR SALLY; Sep 11, 2013 at 11:28 AM.
Sep 10, 2013, 06:25 AM

2x 90mm is ok

Hi Gianni,

IMPORTANT: you have to seperate the two inlets - if you use two fans!!

And my MiG29/35 is nearly the same sice and i fly it with 2x JF90 and Het700/68/1125 on 12s2p10.000mah (4x 6s5000mah = 3,3kg weight).

Total amperes is up to 190 - so 95A each fan.

The MiG weights abaut 9kg but can climb up straight from a slow flyby

Regards,
George

MiG29 OVT Tetris (4 min 4 sec)
Sep 10, 2013, 06:49 AM
Thread OP
hmm well it seems to have 2 school over here
the byron fan seems to be good on draw
but i don't have any byron fan ....hard to find here.

some 100fan will be a good deal but no place to get 2 100's side by side...

i have a 800-60-830 to run with an eventual 120mm fan
but again , i don't have any data about this one to check out if it 'll fit
if anybody has anyinfo about this one ....?

i think i will stay on the 90's idea for the moment , although it get me a lot of additional weight of batteries, it stays the most cheap and powerfull set up ( i already have all the motor and fans ,esc's....)

let's see what i will find out at JET POWER this year

thanks for all your interest
Sep 10, 2013, 02:32 PM

F-18

Still moving slowly forward. Per an email from XPS, their fan units are no longer available. So I am looking to the "DYN e Max " fan unit for my power.
Nearly done shapeing the foam plug for my inlet ducting. I will use the original exhaust tube and tailpipe ducts and section them down to the 5'' fan size. Doing this on a budget so progress will be as I can afford the next component. The rear stab mounts will be the next purchase.
Sep 10, 2013, 07:23 PM
I like where you are going with this one Gianni.
Sep 13, 2013, 04:54 PM
Carboweave, Ask For It By Name
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetjock50
Still moving slowly forward. Per an email from XPS, their fan units are no longer available. So I am looking to the "DYN e Max " fan unit for my power.
Nearly done shapeing the foam plug for my inlet ducting. I will use the original exhaust tube and tailpipe ducts and section them down to the 5'' fan size. Doing this on a budget so progress will be as I can afford the next component. The rear stab mounts will be the next purchase.
Look at building the Ron E Max Dynamax fan or have Tam build one for you.
We fly those in the JetLegand Bae Hawk at 21+ lbs and it has tons of power. 6 min flight times if you use the Turnigy 6S 8000 matteries in a 12S setup.

Terry
Sep 13, 2013, 11:41 PM

Ron e max fan

I would need to know who or where to find this ron e max setup?
Thanks for mentioning it!
Roger
Sep 14, 2013, 12:06 AM
Do it Right, the first time!
How to build a Ron-E-Max (Dynamax conversion)** Bench Run Video added**

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...=ron+e+max+fan

Quick Reply