Sep 06, 2013, 04:06 AM
Thread OP
New Product

Free talon airplane to someone for reviewing.

FPVMODEL.COM is looking for a non-biased reviewer for the Talon UAV by XUAV. We believe this model of plane is an excellent choice for FPV flight. It has came to our attention that many people have questions about this plane and would like to have someone do an honest review. Now here's our offer. If you have experience in reviewing products and would like to do a review in exchange for a free airplane. Please post a link or two, to the reviews you have done in the past and tell us once you have the aircraft how long you think it would take for you to complete the review. After deciding on the reviewer we can ship promptly. If you pay for the shipping to you we WILL GIVE THE PLANE TO YOU as a thank you for the review. Below are some pictures of the plane. Enjoy!!

Thanks,

FPVMODEL.COM
Last edited by jasonfpvmodel; Sep 06, 2013 at 09:59 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 06, 2013, 11:15 AM
Hey Jason. I'd be interested in reviewing a Talon for you. I've done some reviews on the Skyhunter and the X7. I noticed you guys dropped the price of the Talon from $150 to $128 today!
Sep 06, 2013, 11:40 AM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
I would love to do a review of this! I have an extremely efficient 6s motor setup ready for something like this! Iv only done smaller fpv parts for review though :/
Sep 06, 2013, 06:15 PM
I received my Talon 8 or 9 days after placing my order. The shipping box was more than adequate. There were no missing parts, the parts were packaged in a orderly fashion and the quality of the foam finish was amazing. There wasn't a ding or scratch to be found on any of the foam pieces.

The build is extremely easy and straight forward. The instructions are more than adequate.One improvement I would like to see are larger pictures for old guys like me. The ones on the instruction sheet are only 1 inch by 5/8 inch. I did find much larger pictures on a downloadable pdf on the internet. The only thing that didn't fit perfectly was the wooden frame. I had to remove about 1/8 inch of foam so the frame would fit in the frame pocket. After gluing the fuselage together, the pieces fit so well that it looked as if it was molded as one piece. I added a plywood battery box for extra strength. It's ingenious the way the wings are mounted. Simple but extremely sturdy and secure with only one screw per wing to tighten / loosen for removal / assembling. Having the CG marked on the bottom of the wings makes it a "no brainer" for balancing.

I'm using a 3520 T motor with two paralleled 4000 4 cell batteries and a Castle 75 lite ESC. My servos are 2 Hitech 5083mg which fit perfectly into the 29x13x30mm wing servo holes and 2 Hitech 5055mg which fit into the 22.8x11.6x24mm elevons servo holes. I'm still experimenting with props. 12x6 is a good fit for now. I'm using 1.2ghz for video and the Futaba 9cap with DragonLink.

I've set the Talon up with ailerons and elevons. My maiden was LOS and only required a few clicks of trim. The Talon is a stable and easy plane to fly. I'm cautious on crosswind landings because of the large wings. Other than that it flies beautifully.

When flying FPV, my RMRC-600XV 600TVL camera works well when I place the lens close to the dome. Using my Gopro, which is a work in progress I'm getting a lot of glare and some distortion. I believe this is caused by not mounting the Gopro as close to the dome as possible. As of this time I have not gone but a little over a mile due to not having my Ruby installation completed As far as time goes, I can fly for an hour with plenty of battery left.

Overall, this is a great aircraft and I would recommend adding it to your fleet. This will be replacing my Penguin as my primary FPV plane. I hope to add more specifics in the near future as time allows. .....Bob
Sep 06, 2013, 10:58 PM
Nice info! thanks! sounds about the same as my plans but Im going to use two of my 6s packs and a MN3508 spinning up to a 15" prop and only drawing 12A over my 40A Tiger Pro ESC. I was waiting on servos until I order the aircraft but now Ill pick up the same as yours!

My packs Im planning on using are 6800mah of 6s that weigh 580g each. I could make a 850g 10200mah 6s pack as well.

4S 8000mah setup = 118.4Watt/hours
6S 6800mah setup = 150.96Watt/hours (estimated >3.5 hours of flight)
6S 10200mah Setup=226.4Watt/hours! (estimated >5.1 hours of flight)

Hopefully I will have more details soon!
Sep 06, 2013, 11:25 PM
I was talking to someone that owns a Talon. He mentioned the Skywalker Power Package is the way to go on the Talon. I'm wondering if it's the same one from RMRC. Based off what you're saying Little Heli it almost sounds like it is.
Last edited by typicalaimster; Sep 06, 2013 at 11:34 PM.
Sep 07, 2013, 12:06 AM
Send one to FliteTest and have them do a special with IBCrazy handling the telemetry?
Sep 07, 2013, 06:59 AM
Did you get it on video?
I'll second sending one to Flite Test.
Sep 07, 2013, 07:12 AM
Did you get it on video?
How about a review and an article?

http://flitetest.com/articles/rotor-...st-impressions

http://flitetest.com/articles/gettin...ft-on-a-budget

Work is going to kill most of my free time in October. But come November, I'll be much less burdened.

Review turn around time would likely be a couple weeks.
Last edited by Flying-Monkey; Sep 07, 2013 at 08:32 AM.
Sep 07, 2013, 07:44 AM
chanyote66 I don't believe you'll be able to use 15in. prop's...from center of my motor to the ground is 7 1/2 in. Because I land and take off on a grass runway, the rear skid sinks in and limits me to a 12 to 13 in prop.

typicalaimster I'm not familiar with the Skywalker Power Package. RMRC is basically what I use on my Penguin. I believe your battery load will determine how well the RMRC system will work . I used the 3520 because it's what I had on hand that I thought would work ......Bob
Sep 07, 2013, 08:31 AM
Destroyer of foamies
I agree, send it to Flitetest. They have already reviewed the FPV aircraft such as the Skywalker X8, and will be reviewing the RV jet soon. All of the reviews have been excellent.
Sep 07, 2013, 10:03 AM
Flite Test would be great for a review. The plane would get A LOT of exposure.
Sep 07, 2013, 10:06 AM
I agree with sending it to Flitetest. They have a lot of experience in reviewing planes and, since they have no permanent sponsors, make unbiased reviews.
Sep 07, 2013, 10:38 AM
Did you get it on video?
Here's the model's website, which should help with questions about power plant...

http://www.fpvmodel.com/talon-uav-17...-fpv_p651.html
Last edited by Flying-Monkey; Sep 07, 2013 at 11:31 AM.
Sep 07, 2013, 11:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by little heli
chanyote66 I don't believe you'll be able to use 15in. prop's...from center of my motor to the ground is 7 1/2 in. Because I land and take off on a grass runway, the rear skid sinks in and limits me to a 12 to 13 in prop.

typicalaimster I'm not familiar with the Skywalker Power Package. RMRC is basically what I use on my Penguin. I believe your battery load will determine how well the RMRC system will work . I used the 3520 because it's what I had on hand that I thought would work ......Bob
I hand launch all of my aircraft. We have built a few bungee launch rigs and have a paved runway in one of the places we fly.

For something like this aircraft I would probably go to a 12x6 prop and take a slight hit on efficiency.

Quick Reply