Hitec Weekender Extra 300S - Page 15 - RC Groups
Jun 25, 2014, 06:35 PM
I just finished the basic assembly of the Hitec Extra 300S & appear to have encountered about the same few minor problem areas as reported on by others on this thread. But I kind of went looking for trouble by checking all of the potential areas in the airframe for omissions or errors in constructions. I did find that the wing servos were only being held in place by their quite flimsy servo plate covers, so I added some silicone adhesive to better secure them. The servos in the fuse seemed quite secure so I didn't remove them to check any further. And I had the problem others have in installing the vertical stab with glue preventing it from going all of the way into the two slots in the fuse, & a quick cleanout with a drill bit took care of it. But then I also had to remove glue imbedded in the places where the screws are used to hold the stab in place. My wing bolts appear also to be much longer than required to hold the wing panels in place, & do not screw all of the way down (about 1/8" from being flush), but there is no doubt they have engaged the wing hold downs. So this needs to be checked out further to be sure before flying the plane.

As the attached photos show, the Extra is now ready for the installation of the RX & battery (I'm also putting in a Guardian stabilizer, a supplemental power plug from my Lipo to the RX - unique to Hitec TX's & RX's, & a 10 amp Castle BEC. I could find no information on either the Hitec website or the Multiplex one to know the rating of the BEC made a part of the Multiplex ESC, so just decided to play it safe with a known source of power. Also need to check the throws & reduce down for sport flying & figure out where to put the Lipo for proper CG purposes. But all in all, one of my easiest & most enjoyable assemblies (certainly couldn't call it a build) of an RC plane to date.

Jed
to remove ads between posts
Jun 25, 2014, 08:04 PM
You'll find all of the info on the Multiplex/ZTW ESC here
Regler MULTIcont BL-50 ESC directions found!
http://www.multiplex-rc.de/en/produc...1798812126f84f

Includes a link to the programming info as well. Just checked the link. Must be all the info is in the instructions, not on the linked page.

Be sure that the bullet connectors are fully insulated between the ESC and motor. The heat shrink was not done well on mine and two of the leads managed to 'meet' in the air. Fixed that problem and appears that no permanent damage was done. 27 flights to date.

Update: 07/05/2014
I continued to have the power system problem even after the bullet connectors were fully insulated. I messed around with the ESC and motor for quite awhile and finally figured out it is an internal motor short in the supplied motor. A new Cobra C-2820-14 840Kv motor was ordered yesterday. We'll have to see how the "+" mount fits and whether it will need modification. Also, the new motor will require an APC 12x8E to keep the current in check. When using the 640Kv stock motor, the prop was an APC 14x10E with my 4S A123 2300mAh pack. Remember that A123 cells are LiFePO4 chemistry, not LiPo batteries.
Last edited by Ken Myers; Jul 05, 2014 at 06:35 AM. Reason: Update
Jun 26, 2014, 06:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Myers
You'll find all of the info on the Multiplex/ZTW ESC here
Regler MULTIcont BL-50 ESC directions found!
http://www.multiplex-rc.de/en/produc...1798812126f84f

Includes a link to the programming info as well. Just checked the link. Must be all the info is in the instructions, not on the linked page.

Be sure that the bullet connectors are fully insulated between the ESC and motor. The heat shrink was not done well on mine and two of the leads managed to 'meet' in the air. Fixed that problem and appears that no permanent damage was done. 27 flights to date.
Ken - Thanks for the website info on the Multiplex ESC; had to get into the manual to find the BEC data. Its 5.5V & 4amp, which is probably enough for the basic servo load unless they are digital, which I also can't tell. So I will go ahead & install the 10 amp Castle for added security, particularly since I am also powering my Guardian stab unit with it.

And appreciate the heads up on the ESC leads, which I will check out, as well as add some insulation protection. Just now working on setting up the CG so your review data will be very helpful for that as well. Will start out using the most forward recommended location & move aft if needed, but since I'm not looking for crazy aerobatics or 3D, probably won't need much adjustment.

Jed
Jun 28, 2014, 12:48 PM
I've placed all of my electronics (Hitec Optima 7 RX, Eagle Tree Guardian stablizer & Castle 10amp BEC) in temporary locations where they are best located in terms of access, functionality & CG consideration. And I've located one of my existing 3S2200 Lipo's all the way forward & when I test CG using the recommended balance point locations (86mm to 76mm behind LE at wing root area), I still end up with the plane being fairly tail heavy. I've ordered a couple of new 3S2200 Lipos with higher discharge rates that are also about 30 grams heavier, so that may help a little, but it still is likely that some weight in the nose will be needed to get this ship to balance out. Anyone else out their have this experience or maybe I just got one where they used too much glue behind the CG points?

Also I noted that in the review of the Extra 300S by 2Brothers, they commented that with the 3 cell even when it appeared balanced it flew a bit tail heavy, making the tail twitchy at slow speeds or when doing some aerobatics, but that this problem went away with a 4 cell. They also commented that the plane balanced the same with either a 3 or 4 cell. So I guess I will try to get more weight up front but may end up being forced to used a 4 cell with just less throttle.

Jed
Jul 03, 2014, 03:55 PM
So how are these Extra 300's holding up? Thinking about picking one up. I have a bunch of 3S 2200 lipos, but from what I have researched running a 4S balances out better and I know of course pulls a lot better. This will basically replace my few year old Parkzone Extra 300 which I love.
Jul 03, 2014, 04:13 PM
I've got 34 flights on mine to date. I love flying it. I have it set up for precision type aerobatics, not 3D. It doesn't fly anything like my flying buddy's Parkzone Extra 300. It is much, much easier to fly and land than the Parkzone Extra.

Some folks have noted a tendency to tip stall. I haven't seen it and I've gotten it pretty slow, too slow, sometimes on landing. I can't say anything for others, but I think the 'tip stall' thing might be from a too rearward CG, but I absolutely don't know that for a fact. I just know that mine has never shown anything but delightful flying habits.

I'm running a 4S A123 LiFePO4 pack, so weight is not a problem up front. It still only weighs 52 ounces.

Don't be afraid to add nose weight, otherwise it will be tail heavy for typical precision aerobatics type flying.
Jul 03, 2014, 04:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Myers
I've got 34 flights on mine to date. I love flying it. I have it set up for precision type aerobatics, not 3D. It doesn't fly anything like my flying buddy's Parkzone Extra 300. It is much, much easier to fly and land than the Parkzone Extra.

Some folks have noted a tendency to tip stall. I haven't seen it and I've gotten it pretty slow, too slow, sometimes on landing. I can't say anything for others, but I think the 'tip stall' thing might be from a too rearward CG, but I absolutely don't know that for a fact. I just know that mine has never shown anything but delightful flying habits.

I'm running a 4S A123 LiFePO4 pack, so weight is not a problem up front. It still only weighs 52 ounces.

Don't be afraid to add nose weight, otherwise it will be tail heavy for typical precision aerobatics type flying.
Thanks Ken!! It sounds like a great flying Extra! I am not much of a 3D guy, so IMAC type precision flying sounds like what is designed for anyway. Do you still add weight forward even with the 4S? Have you run a 3S?
Jul 03, 2014, 05:19 PM
I didn't add any weight as my 4 cell A123 cells are not LiPo cells. See photo.

I made the space wider with a razor saw and used a Dremel sanding drum up front to fit in the cells. The first flights were done with the 4 cell pack all the way forward, but I've move it back so that it balances behind the gray striping tape.

The voltage is a little higher than a 3S LiPo and lower than a 4S LiPo. With my 4S A123 pack I'm using an APC 14x10E and drawing about 30 amps.
Jul 03, 2014, 07:38 PM
FWIW, I've got newer high discharge 3S2200 Lipos & with all other electronics positioned where I want them, the Extra balances completely neutral at the forward recommended CG spot with the battery all the way up againt the firewall. But I am going to add some more weight just to give it slight nose down balance. I suspect that Ken is probably right that the tip stalling problems are most likely due to, or at least aggravated by, aft weight issues. Of course I'll know more after flying it!

Jed
Jul 06, 2014, 11:56 PM
Just pulled the trigger on the Extra 300. Ordered from Advantage Hobby pretty good deal $207.89 with free shipping! I bought the UMX Pitts S1 from them last month and they have great service. Can't wait to get it and get it into the air.
Don't know if this has been answered, but do any of you guys run older 3S 2200 20C-25C packs in the Extra? I have a bunch of them and was thinking about ordering a couple 4S 2200 35C packs to run in it as well since the extra weight seems to balance it better and of course gives it that nice punch!!
Jul 07, 2014, 08:59 AM
Some Sharp Looking Cheddar
Congrats Matt! You can run either. If you fly the 3S packs it will be great for IMAC type aerobatics and just cruising around. If you get some 4S packs in there it will have a ton of power and will be great for 3D as well. Enjoy!
Jul 07, 2014, 11:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by i love nachos
Congrats Matt! You can run either. If you fly the 3S packs it will be great for IMAC type aerobatics and just cruising around. If you get some 4S packs in there it will have a ton of power and will be great for 3D as well. Enjoy!
Thanks i love nachos!! Sounds good! Just ordered some Nano-Tech 4S 2200 35C packs from HK!!! I should have my plane by weeks end, so I will report back with updates, issues, etc!!
Jul 08, 2014, 11:34 AM
Wow! Advantage Hobby just rocks! My Extra is on the brown truck out for delivery... Of course I am on a trip, so I will have to wait until Thursday evening to build it and hopefully the maidan on Fri.
Jul 11, 2014, 01:14 AM
I got my Extra built tonight! Had a little issue getting the vertical stab to seat down in fuselage . The little plastic plate I guess you can call it were the stab screws into was not seated properly, so the rear would not go down and would not line up with hole to get screw in.. Finally after some swearing, etc, I got it installed. Also my elevator servo wire is tucked in very rear of fuselage , so I still have to get a long piece of wire or something to get if up to plug into RX.

[IMG][/IMG]

Different color red also??? Anyone else have a darker color red stab?
Last edited by M3_matt; Jul 11, 2014 at 01:26 PM.
Jul 11, 2014, 07:31 PM
Ok did the maidan a few minutes ago, and wow what a great flying plane! Ken Myers you are correct sir.. The PZ Extra flys so much worse then this Extra 300.
I took off in low rates 75/30 expo on Ele and Air. Took just a few clicks of down trim. Very very smooth.. Switched to high rates after I got her trimmed out, and rolls are good for my tastes. Snaps and tumbles great. Set timer to 7min, but assuming I can get close to 10 mins with the 4S 2200 packs I am running. Overall very pleased with my Hitec Extra 300

Quick Reply