Nov 25, 2014, 02:41 PM
I'm losing my mind and need so me help from you electric guys. I'm a gas guy that bought one of these Cubs as a throw around in my car. I can not for the life of me get the fail safe working on this bird. Here is my equipment list.

JR 11X
Eflite 60
Talon 90
4400 6S
Standard receiver that came in plane, think its a 635 or something like that.

Typically with my gas planes I put the bind plug in the receiver, power up the receiver remove the bind plug and bind the transmitter.

On this bird if I do that and shut down the transmitter the motor runs wild even though the throttle stick is at min setting with trim at min setting. I've got no sub trim or travel adjust set. Gotta be something special with this receiver but I've not been able to find any info on the net regarding issues with fail safe.

Appreciate any help you electron guys can provide. Jerry.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 25, 2014, 03:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarnes
I'm losing my mind and need so me help from you electric guys. I'm a gas guy that bought one of these Cubs as a throw around in my car. I can not for the life of me get the fail safe working on this bird. Here is my equipment list.

JR 11X
Eflite 60
Talon 90
4400 6S

Typically with my gas planes I put the bind plug in the receiver, power up the receiver remove the bind plug and bind the transmitter.

On this bird if I do that and shut down the transmitter the motor runs wild even though the throttle stick is at min setting with trim at min setting. I've got no sub trim or travel adjust set. Gotta be something special with this receiver but I've not been able to find any info on the net regarding issues with fail safe.

I can only offer that my stock Cub with stock RX AR635 does work fine with failsafe. The only oddity is that the flaps fully deploy. I believe the flaps are programmed to do that in the RX as others have noted the same behaviour. Also I do not remove the bind plug until after binding, but that shouldnt make any difference.
Nov 25, 2014, 03:30 PM
I am not a robot
Jabarnes,
Do your flaps deploy qt Tx shut down? I had a 635 that when the Tx was shut down it would deploy the flaps and go to about 25% power or more. I called HH product support and got one of the good tech guys. We tried everything and could not get a different result.

So he asked me to send in the 635 which I did. I replaced it with a AR7610 that I had in hand. I included a note with the Tx and asked that the tech who examined the Rx to call me with details. He called and said that they could find no falt in the Rx, but said that HH would for good customer relations send me a new one. At that point I had little faith in the 635. So I told the tech that I had used my last new AR7610 and that I wondered what with both Rx having the same price, if they would mind sending me a new AR7610 instead of a 635? HH agreed and I have been happy with my CZC and 7610.

Of course my concerns with the Rx were that my grandson and I fly together, and I sometime carry the aircraft while he carries the Tx back to the pits after a flight. I worried that if he should accidently turn off the Tx, I might get a very bad suprise. Oh that and the fact the if the Tx failed while in flight, I was concerned that a CZC with flaps down and 25% + throttle might fly some 20 miles before coming back to earth.
Nov 25, 2014, 04:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarnes

JR 11X
Eflite 60
Talon 90
4400 6S

No nothing special. In a way, you have been doing things a bit different. There are two types of binding available. One is the SmartSafe. This is done by leaving the bind plug in place when powering up the receiver and throughout the bind process. This is where all channels except the throttle are held at the last position and the throttle is set to the low position (so prior to binding your transmitter you want to make sure your throttle is in the low position as is the trim.).

The other mode is the PreSet Failsafe. This is where you want all the controls to go on loss of signal (such as flaps in one notch down and all controls neutral). To do this the bind plug is inserted into the receiver and the receiver powered up. When the bind light is flashing, remove the bind plug (again this is done before the transmitter is powered up and bound to the airplane). Set switches to the positions you want them to be then initiate the bind on the transmitter.

So it sounds as if you don't have things set properly when binding. I know I did not have any issues with binding on my Cub nor it not doing what it is suppose to do on LOS
Nov 25, 2014, 05:25 PM
I tried both the SmartSafe and Failsafe method and still have the problem. Just for my sanity I took a spare 9 channel spectrum and was able to get it to bind and low throttle fail safe without issue. Its gotta be something with this receiver and my TX combo. I did not see if the flaps moved as I don't have the wings on but the motor is going to roughly 25% power. I may just pull the receiver and replace it with the 9 channel, take two Tylenol and call it a day. Jerry.
Nov 25, 2014, 05:40 PM
Maybe but not sure why. I am using a DX9 with mine
Nov 25, 2014, 07:02 PM
Thread OP
Wow! just got informed ( thanks sideslip) that this thread is about to hit the 1000 page mark and in little over a year since i started the thread too Just goes to show how right! Horizon Hobby got this one

As for me i still do not own one yet and being such a great plane i haven't been able to pry the sample one from Mike, who fly's it regularly and tows gliders up with it

For those that know this has been a tough year for Corinne and myself and i have bought and tested very little in the way of planes this year. We are hoping Corinne is better next year and i will then think about getting this top of the range foam Cub or at least getting to a show and flying Mike's one

congrats on getting to the 1000 page mark keep the info and videos coming as i do watch a lot of those, even though i don't post much on this thread

cheers chuck
Nov 25, 2014, 09:09 PM
Watts up ?
I`m really tossing up weather to add this plane to my fleet - I really do like it but as Im a 3D / Imac guy Im not sure if I would get bored flying it.. Thoughts ? Its $570 ( $488 USD ) here which I find up there.. and the floats should be included at that price.

Also - Is anyone flying it FPV though there Gopro downlink ?
Nov 25, 2014, 09:37 PM
Balsa to the Wall
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTseeker
Wow! just got informed ( thanks sideslip) that this thread is about to hit the 1000 page mark and in little over a year since i started the thread too Just goes to show how right! Horizon Hobby got this one

As for me i still do not own one yet and being such a great plane i haven't been able to pry the sample one from Mike, who fly's it regularly and tows gliders up with it

For those that know this has been a tough year for Corinne and myself and i have bought and tested very little in the way of planes this year. We are hoping Corinne is better next year and i will then think about getting this top of the range foam Cub or at least getting to a show and flying Mike's one

congrats on getting to the 1000 page mark keep the info and videos coming as i do watch a lot of those, even though i don't post much on this thread

cheers chuck
Well, whatever is happening with Corinne, our thoughts are with her and we hope the new year brings better times.

Chuck
Last edited by Chuck; Nov 25, 2014 at 09:53 PM.
Nov 25, 2014, 09:48 PM
I am not a robot
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTseeker

cheers chuck
Chuck,
I had no idea that Corinne was ill. Please give her my best and know that both of you are in my prayers. I do hope she has a good year next year and that you will both be out enjoying the great hobby that is RC.

Bless both of you,
Bert
Nov 25, 2014, 10:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzparkPilot
I`m really tossing up whether to add this plane to my fleet - I really do like it but as Im a 3D / Imac guy Im not sure if I would get bored flying it.. Thoughts ? Its $570 ( $488 USD ) here which I find up there.. and the floats should be included at that price.

Only you can answer that question. We can tell you that we think it is a fun plane, people have suggested changes and the reasons behind them, but only you can decide at the end of the day if it is right for you. I would imagine that at the club fields there are some, maybe see if you can have a pull on one. I know though I enjoy mine
Nov 26, 2014, 02:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzparkPilot
I have done FPV with the GoPro, but not through its wifi, that'd be a recipe for disaster. I've used both the RC Logger 5.8 and my Lawmate 1.2ghz setups with it though. I do prefer flying it non-FPV as I like to mess with it and find FPV's not as fun for acrobatics.
Last edited by Chundah; Nov 26, 2014 at 02:59 AM. Reason: Can't type.
Nov 26, 2014, 11:13 AM
Keith
JBarnes - take the 635 out and put in a standard Rx. Just my opinion, but they are not worth all the problems and you won't have to worry about the programming.

K
Nov 26, 2014, 11:21 AM
I have had good luck with the 635 in mine but actually one of my winter projects (always have some to get ready for the new flying season) was to replace the 635 with the 636 receiver. I have good luck with it on my Laser and like that it not only has the rate gyros like the 635 but also has heading hold. So I am going to switch it out, change the landing gear to the articulated cub gear and maybe switch my Power 60 out for a Scorpion (not sure on the last one yet)
Nov 26, 2014, 04:20 PM
I'm getting ready to put the floats on the cub. It seems to me somewhere back in this thread, some folks were having trouble with the rear mount coming out. What was the fix other than tape? I suppose one could put a couple of small plastic strips across with some screws similar to the front ones.

Quick Reply