Sep 19, 2013, 05:39 AM
Way to many airplanes!
How to assemble the Carbon Cub (by Modelflight)
How to Assemble the E-Flite Carbon-Z Cub RC Plane (12 min 4 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Sep 19, 2013, 06:33 AM
sj.
sj.
Handy vid.

Cheers.

sj
Sep 19, 2013, 06:54 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Well, I was hoping the wings would be easily removeable, particularly when I saw the struts clips near the fuselage. Sadly though, it does look like you have to remove a bunch of screws if you want the struts to lay flat (let say in a transport case). Kind of wish they would have designed them with clips or something easy to remove and put back in place. Now, I'm wondering if there would be a way to fit this cub in a minivan, with the wing on! I already fit a 6ft B-17, ready to fly, but it's already pushing it, so not so sure about this one! Otherwise, I guess I'll have to build a box so I can put both wings in, with the struts at an angle (should not be too big I guess)
Sep 19, 2013, 07:44 AM
Multi-Platform Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberJay
Typically the tow plane doesn't have a release. Only an anchor point for the line. The release is on the nose of the glider.

There are oodles of gimbals on the market that you could adapt. I think the eflite option is meant to provide a super cheap, basic function.

-J
I seem to remember an extensive article a few months back in Model Aviation on the subject and you definitely want a release on both sides incase things go bad or the release fails on the glider and you want or need to cut loose.

Landing with a tow line is no problem, a little badmitton shuttlecock on the end of the line makes enough drag to keep the towline out straight so it doesn't sag into the trees while landing.
Sep 19, 2013, 09:28 AM
Thanks for posting that video, RealGambler! I keep up with this thread every day because I really want one of these Carbon Z Cubs. I just don't think it will easily fit in any vehicle I own. Maybe I can tie it down on my utility trailer.
Sep 19, 2013, 09:37 AM
Plastic Buddha
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler
Well, I was hoping the wings would be easily removeable, particularly when I saw the struts clips near the fuselage. Sadly though, it does look like you have to remove a bunch of screws if you want the struts to lay flat (let say in a transport case). Kind of wish they would have designed them with clips or something easy to remove and put back in place. Now, I'm wondering if there would be a way to fit this cub in a minivan, with the wing on! I already fit a 6ft B-17, ready to fly, but it's already pushing it, so not so sure about this one! Otherwise, I guess I'll have to build a box so I can put both wings in, with the struts at an angle (should not be too big I guess)
I had the same issue with my 1/4 Super Cub, here are pics of the ghetto wing tote I came up with. Fits in my tiny S-10 ShortBox easily. Also posted in the Super Cub thread:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=434
Sep 19, 2013, 11:23 AM
Prefers radials
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler
The Cub will be ready to fly with all the gains selected by QuiQue (the guy who designed the airplane). So, for 99.99% of the pilots, there will be nothing to do. Basically, you want to play with the gains only if you use the receiver in a different airplane. So, let say eventually, you want to use the AR635 in a FMS P-51D, only then, you'll have to play with the gains (which is not the end of the world btw!). So, otherwise, the CUB is as ready to fly as your MCPx-BL was!
I think the setup question becomes, what are the default settings? This becomes key depending on how/where you fly? The demo video shows a wide variety of flight modes including scale, towing, 3D, etc. The current version of the AR635 supports 2 receiver modes. Is the default configuration sport/off, 3D/off, or sport/3D? Either way, there may be instances where you want to switch to a 3rd mode, or simply dial-up or down the default settings. Some folks live in high wind environments, others want no assist, still others may want max gain.

So, pre-programmed gets you in the air quickly, but learning how to make adjustments is still worthwhile.

Cheers
Latest blog entry: Pilot RC 40% Decathlon
Sep 19, 2013, 11:33 AM
I am curious as to how well those wire struts will hold up on a 7 lb plane with less than perfect landings. I own a Hobby zone Super Cub with wire struts that I have had to re bend numerous times to straighten them out. They probably omitted a working suspension on this plane to save weight and to keep cost down (the same reasons for no clear canopy).
I guess we will have to wait for the flight reports to find out how durable the wire struts are.
Sep 19, 2013, 12:39 PM
Thanks for posting the vid RG, I reckon those struts will fold flat to the wing pretty easy. The struts have pins and R clips at one end and so do the strut braces. Hopefully the end that's fixed to the wing of both the struts and the brace will hinge flat.

Wire gear won't be a problem for me,,, the floats will be going on and staying on Hope it fits through the door of the motor home
Sep 19, 2013, 12:44 PM
Acft Attn Deficit Disorder
With those panels that snap onto the gear legs..that should keep the gear from bending, unless you really smack the ground.
Latest blog entry: From the CC Paint Shop
Sep 19, 2013, 01:22 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftica
I had the same issue with my 1/4 Super Cub, here are pics of the ghetto wing tote I came up with. Fits in my tiny S-10 ShortBox easily.
Nice! I was thinking about building a whole wooden box, but that would likely be too heavy. You solution is light and pretty good (I like the dowels). When I first saw it, I was wondering why you had one wing "inverted" but I guess you didn't want it to lay down on the control surfaces?
Sep 19, 2013, 02:34 PM
Gear jammin,Foam crackin!
Hey, how did somebody in Europe get one so soon. I want one..
Sep 19, 2013, 02:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenV1
Hey, how did somebody in Europe get one so soon. I want one..
Not sure Australia is actuly in Europe, unless it's moved recently

Nice video, thanks for posting the link. Box seemed kinda smaller than I thought it would be somehow.
Sep 19, 2013, 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukpaul
Not sure Australia is actuly in Europe, unless it's moved recently
Sep 19, 2013, 03:06 PM
Flying RC since 1962
I wonder if there will be a DX9 program for the Cub available for download?

Quick Reply